For Body builders cutting: How much sugar?

Options
I am obviously trying to cut my fat percentage through mainly weight lifting and adding cardio in as needed.

I am looking for a guideline to know how much is too much.
So for you hardcore competing guys, how much sugar do you take in when cutting?
Do you include milk in your protein shakes? That seems to be the source of most of my sugar.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am obviously trying to cut my fat percentage through mainly weight lifting and adding cardio in as needed.

Do you include milk in your protein shakes? That seems to be the source of most of my sugar.

I don't think hardcore bodybuilders eat any sugar when cutting. It's all beans rice and chicken out the wazoo. Have some steel cut oats and do some long slow distance cardio.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Every persons prep is going to be different; some people can handle sugar better than others, some start out leaner than others... there are a million factors.

I am only getting sugar from sweet potatoes and balsamic vinegar. Even artificial sweeteners are off the menu for me... Coach says it, I do it! :)

I think you'll just have to play around with it but if you know your body reacts a certain way use that as your guide.
  • briang1224
    Options
    Yea, Im obviously not trying to compete or anything, I was just looking for an extreme point to reference so I know what is realistic for me.

Right now, I am getting most of my sugars from Fruits and Milk and I am looking at close to 35 grams a day.
    I just wasn't sure what a bodybuilder intakes as a comparison.

I was told by one person I know that I should shoot for less than 20 grams a day.
    if that's the case, that means I am cutting milk and fruits from my diet entirely.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Depends on the dieting method you are using.

I diet on high amounts of carbs (sugars).
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I don't compete in anything, but for me it would just be that the more calories I get from sugar, the less I get from more filling foods, which could make it harder to feel full while eating a deficit.
  • tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    use unsweetened almond milk with your protein shakes ...or water if you can handle the taste
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yea, Im obviously not trying to compete or anything, I was just looking for an extreme point to reference so I know what is realistic for me.

Right now, I am getting most of my sugars from Fruits and Milk and I am looking at close to 35 grams a day.
    I just wasn't sure what a bodybuilder intakes as a comparison.

I was told by one person I know that I should shoot for less than 20 grams a day.
    if that's the case, that means I am cutting milk and fruits from my diet entirely.

For me that DOES mean cutting out fruits and dairy... for others, Matt_Wild for example, it does not.

I would suggest that you find a level you are comfortable with and adjust from there. If you aren't losing fat try reducing your sugars further, or your carbs/calories in general. Don't make it more difficult than it has to be right from the get-go by cutting things out entirely. You can get VERY lean without cutting any of that stuff. I have in the past, and usually maintain a very low body fat without sacrificing dairy or fruit at all.

For most people the difference is going to be miniscule, so if you arent' competing I wouldn't stress it.

(Right now I am cutting it out because I am working with a coach and following his program.)
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i don't even pay attention to sugar
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ that
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I don't think hardcore bodybuilders eat any sugar when cutting. It's all beans rice and chicken out the wazoo. Have some steel cut oats and do some long slow distance cardio.

feeling a little silly?
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    If it's not sugar from candy bars and crap (excluding ice cream.....bc hey! that's dairy, too!), I don't worry about it. I drink a crap ton of milk and eat a moderate amount of fruit. My body fat % is still dropping.

if you're not trying to compete I see no reason to go to any extremes.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

lol
    no
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Its all down to how YOU look when eating sugar. Personally I retain water, so until I get really lean Sugar isn't my friend look wise, but as Long as I hit my calorie goals I still lose weight. But when I am leaner I eat cake every day! depends where I'm at.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

^ that

ditto
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

^ that

ditto

What they all said.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Ditto and I dont pay attention to carbs either.