Why am I gaining weight?

Options
Hi. I need help. I don't know what to do, really.
I am 176 cm and my weight is 59 kilos. I don't want to lose, like, extremly much because that wouldn't be healthy for me, but I have fat I want to lose.I walk 1 km to and from (1 km each way) he busstop to school everyday and I do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred every day, and every other day I also do her Extreme shed and shred video, level one. I try to eat around 1500-1700 (sometimes it's a bit more though) kcal/day. I really don't know what I am doing wrong. I am 18, if that has anything to do with anything. I have been doing 30 day shred for about a month, by the way, and I am not seeing any results at all.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Replies

• angelaspikes2012
    Options
    I started losing weight by cutting my calorie intake to 1200 or Les, no matter how much exercise i do. Remember you have to burn 3500 more than you eat in calories to lose 1 lb. Hope this helps
  • workingtwerking
    Options
    I started losing weight by cutting my calorie intake to 1200 or Les, no matter how much exercise i do. Remember you have to burn 3500 more than you eat in calories to lose 1 lb. Hope this helps

Ok, thank you.

I heard that 1200 is very little though, is that wrong?
    I'll try and se if it helps. Thank you, again!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Please don't follow this advice. 1200 calories or less is far too low unless you are four feet tall. It is very unhealthy to have your calories too low. Cutting your calories too low and having too high of a deficit will cause you to lose muscle along with fat and water. Losing muscle makes your metabolism go down and cause you to be "skinny fat".

How long have you been trying to lose weight? If you don't have a lot to lose set your weekly goal to 0.5lbs per week and go from there. Ensure you are limiting your sodium, drinking enough water and eating enough. Give it time as if you just started you may not see results right away. If you recently started a new exercise routine your muscles will be retaining water to repair themselves.

Don't weigh too often... give it some time... switch up your exercise frequently and you will see results.
  • According to all these people on here you need to eat about 2000 to survive, 1500 net minimum or you'll die. Btw your probably gaining muscle which weighs more just keep checking your measurements instead
  • workingtwerking
    Options

Please don't follow this advice. 1200 calories or less is far too low unless you are four feet tall. It is very unhealthy to have your calories too low. Cutting your calories too low and having too high of a deficit will cause you to lose muscle along with fat and water. Losing muscle makes your metabolism go down and cause you to be "skinny fat".

How long have you been trying to lose weight? If you don't have a lot to lose set your weekly goal to 0.5lbs per week and go from there. Ensure you are limiting your sodium, drinking enough water and eating enough. Give it time as if you just started you may not see results right away. If you recently started a new exercise routine your muscles will be retaining water to repair themselves.

Don't weigh too often... give it some time... switch up your exercise frequently and you will see results.

I have been trying for maybe a month and a half. It's not a really long time, but I should be seeing some results shouldn't I?
    Do you know how I can figure out how many calories I should eat a day, if 1200 is to low and what I am doing now isn't working I've checked on diffrent sites and they say about 1500-1700 but that doesn't work for me, obviosly..
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    According to all these people on here you need to eat about 2000 to survive, 1500 net minimum or you'll die. Btw your probably gaining muscle which weighs more just keep checking your measurements instead

This is another myth that people seem to throw around here. I'm sorry but you don't gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. Especially if you are a woman, you can gain maybe 10lbs of muscle in a year with proper conditions (eating at or above maintance, lifting heavy weights and getting enough protein). Muscle doesn't weight more than fat... it just takes up less space.
  • workingtwerking
    Options
    According to all these people on here you need to eat about 2000 to survive, 1500 net minimum or you'll die. Btw your probably gaining muscle which weighs more just keep checking your measurements instead

I've been taking my measurements too, but they don't change.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

I have been trying for maybe a month and a half. It's not a really long time, but I should be seeing some results shouldn't I?
    Do you know how I can figure out how many calories I should consume a day, if 1200 is to low and what I am doing now isn't working I've checked on diffrent sites and they say about 1500-1700 but that doesn't work for me, obviosly..

You need to give any changes 4-6 weeks to ensure if they are working or not.

Check out fat2fit.com ... find out your TDEE and take a cut off of that.

Are you mixing up your workouts? Weight will fluctuate based on your cycle, amount of water you drink, digestion, sodium consumed, etc etc.

Are you eyeballing your portions or do you have measuring cups/spoons and a kitchen scale? Are you tracking everything? Water, sodium, condiments used, oils used, etc etc. Are you getting enough fiber, protein and fats?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to lose weight, but want to lose fat, you need to eat at maintenance calories, start lifting weights (heavy and less than 15 reps per set), and limit cardio. When you do some cardio, you want to eat back those calories. Also, eating plenty of protein. You want to focus on building up your lean body mass.