feeling sick with a cold what should I eat

Options
I seem to have come down with a cold, wondering what sorts of foods I should be eating to get rid of it. any suggestions?

Replies

• jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Anything Micro-nutrient heavy... fruits and veggies are loaded with disease fighting power! Plus veggie soup just warms you up and makes you feel better... I vote that! hope you feel better!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I eat soup when I'm sick.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    lots and lots of vegetable soup; delicious too!
  • pinky_pinkster
    pinky_pinkster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    - warm water with lemon
    - lots of tea
    - veggie soup
    - vitamin pill
    - lots of protein and iron
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Chicken Noodle Soup!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, the answer is whatever sounds good. I don't care. I'm sick.
  • looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions, I will make a veggie soup, have been taking vit c pills, and cold fx, have 2 days to rest and get better before I have to go to work.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do 1 tsp of honey and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, mix well, 2 x's a day for several days, and the next day it's gone!! :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Depending on how sick I am and what sounds good - brothy soups like vegetable or chicken, and smoothies with bananas, pinapples and oranges are my favorites.
  • adm603
    adm603 Posts: 48
    Options
    May sound stupid, but I try to gather enough energy for one good workout. One where I will sweat a lot. I wear a sweatshirt too. A good sweat helps get me kick started to fighting a bad cold. Then hit the soups, lots of liquids and go to bed early and rest up.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hey, just to go further on what others are saying, go to the store and grab IceBreakers Frost and a Sucrets, Keep munching on those all day, they will VASTLY help your throat feel better and keep your nasal passages oepned up better so you can drain faster and get better quicker! Ice Breakers Frost taste amazing and are only 2 cals each, and sucrets which are more for really sore throat are about 10 cals.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Get your vitamin C. I prefer to actually eat produce containing my vitamins and minerals rather than taking pills. It seems to work better for me. When I started to feel like I was getting sick, I started eating a combination of oranges and berries spread out throughout the day and it kicked it. I've heard that your body can only absorb so much of a vitamin at a time, so spreading it out helps, but I don't know how true that is. Also, don't forget to drink lots of water to flush out your system.
  • looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips, soup is on, full of onions, garlic, shalots, celery, red pepper, green beans, carrots, some of the kale salad from costco, some tyme and cilantro, and 2 veggie bouilion cubes, should be ready in a couple hrs. regarding the good sweat, would sitting in the sauna help, saturday when I was first feeling a bit ill, I did a couple workout classes and sat in the sauna off and on for almost an hr. Should I try that again today, have a zumba class I can do this afternoon.
  • bemeagain27
    Options
    I always have chicken noodle soup and green tea when I'm sick. Not sure if it actually makes me better or its psychological. But works every time :)

Whatever you do, try not to eat junk. Your body needs all the help it can get from the vitamins in vegetables and fruits.