Milk ?

I've heard/read so many different things about milk, weather its actually good for you or not..what do you guys think? I don't drink it a ton but I feel like I should be drinking it.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,128 Member
    I've heard/read so many different things about milk, weather its actually good for you or not..what do you guys think? I don't drink it a ton but I feel like I should be drinking it.
    Canada doesn't use antibiotics, or bovine growth hormone's in milk production and for a milk up here to be called organic milk must be obtained from cows given access to pasture as often as possible, actually most of the time, providing them with organic feed that does not consist of any harmful pesticides, chemicals, fertilizers, or genetically modified ingredients, and removing any cow treated by antibiotics from the herd for an extended period. Shelf life for organic can be shorter as well because of the pasteurization method, which is usually shorter in time, trying to preserve taste and nutrients. Basically in Canada people could see a benefit. If your in the USA, I have no idea.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Its a good source of many micronutrients. If you like it, then it's a good food to include in your regular diet. It's my go to post cardio workout drink, along with a half a banana when I'm feeling whipped.

Some will say not to drink it because you can get all of those micro nutrients from other sources, but why go through the trouble of finding them if you like milk. Others will warn you about the evils of hormones and antibiotics used on the cows. If that isn't a concern, then drink milk, if it is, avoid it.
  • TMR001
    TMR001 Posts: 37

You will get a world of opinions. Some people think you can't live without it and others think it's the leading cause of disease.

I'm allergic so have grown up without it and I am just fine. I see it like this. It is like any other type of food. Moderation. You don't have to have it to be healthy. You can make up its health benefits in other ways. If you like it drink it. If you don't, I wouldn't concern myself with it.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    this is my personal view on milk...

1) we are the ONLY mammals on planet earth that drink OTHER mammals milk, which tells me that there is something weird going on.

2) milk is a wonderful source of nutrients

3) milk is delicious

4) bovine milk is produced by cows to feeds calves that eventually become approximately 1600 pounds, so that doesn't seem natural for lil' ol' humans to drink it.

my final through...
    drinking milk is NOT NECESSARY for human health or development, you can get calcium and the other nutrients from PLENTY of other sources, so i do not believe it is at all NEEDED . HOWEVER, i love milk, and i drink it every day :D

my personal belief ♥
  • brower47
    1) Not true, whenever a carnivore takes down a lactating animal, it will lap up the milk from the torn into mammary gland. We're just the only species to cultivate diary animals for their milk.

2) Milk is a wonderful source of nutrients.

3) Milk tastes good (to some people).

4) Bovine exculsively eat a vegetative diet that allow them to eventually become approximately 1600 pounds, so maybe we should cut out all vegetative sources from our diet because it doesn't seem natural for lil' ol' humans eat it.

my final thought...
    Eating any one single food is NOT NECESSARY for human health or development, you can get any nutrient from plenty of other sources, so I do not believe any single food is NEEDED. However, I like milk and will drink it as part of my varied diet.

my personal belief.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,128 Member
    this is my personal view on milk...

1) we are the ONLY mammals on planet earth that drink OTHER mammals milk, which tells me that there is something weird going on.

2) milk is a wonderful source of nutrients

3) milk is delicious

4) bovine milk is produced by cows to feeds calves that eventually become approximately 1600 pounds, so that doesn't seem natural for lil' ol' humans to drink it.

my final through...
    drinking milk is NOT NECESSARY for human health or development, you can get calcium and the other nutrients from PLENTY of other sources, so i do not believe it is at all NEEDED . HOWEVER, i love milk, and i drink it every day :D

my personal belief ♥
    We are also the only species that can produce milk for consumption.

Calves, like any baby or infant grow into adults and that growth cycle is immanent regardless, milk is just naturally full of the nutrients that allow proper growth including the much needed DHA, CLA and Lauric acid, not sure why these would be detrimental in adulthood.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    you must have a very entertaining grocery store with all those carnivores taking down pray and lapping up milk and all that. My grocery store just has cartons of milk that came from row after row of confined cows hooked up to machines for their whole life to provide us lil humans with our sugar and fat fix. Cause that's why it tastes good right?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Drink it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Drink 2 to 3 gallons a week... Won't be stopping anytime soon..... Best of Luck
  • brower47
    you must have a very entertaining grocery store with all those carnivores taking down pray and lapping up milk and all that. My grocery store just has cartons of milk that came from row after row of confined cows hooked up to machines for their whole life to provide us lil humans with our sugar and fat fix. Cause that's why it tastes good right?

Yup, it's the same reason rice in rice patties (or any other crop) tastes so much better because it's grown in row after row of confined planting space in order to provide us lil humans with our carbohydrate fix.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I heard it's bad for you
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    GOMAD. :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    I heard it's bad for you

Seems legit.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    High sugar content, roughly 12 grams per cup, so I avoid it. I can't say that it's necessarily bad for you though...a little bit in a protein shake post-workout will help replenish muscle glycogen, but then again so will fruit, and I'd rather have that :)
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    I personally like my almond milk. I get the Blue Diamond, unsweetened vanilla. Only 40 cal's/cup, and more calcium than milk. :)
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    We could all try eating more locally grown foods or even growing them?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    We could all try eating more locally grown foods or even growing them?

This is what I suggest to all of the hippies, vegans, and other tools who cry a lot about animal suffering. They want to hear none of it though, since a few field animal's lives (ya' know, the ones killed in the soy harvest) are apparently more expendable than the cows and chickens that I eat. Can't go letting those lofty morals get in the way of convenience, ya' know?
  • chameleonlounge
    chameleonlounge Posts: 20 Member
    I preferre Almond Breeze almond milk. It has less calories and carbs.