not losing weight

Options
I am very frustrated. I have been part of mfp for almost 4 weeks. I have only lost about 2 lbs. I read the post on figuring bf, bmr, etc. According the the site, my bmr is 1342. My understanding is that's my goal in calories and I don't eat what I've burned off in exercise. I've averaged 1300-1500 cal/day and am exercising 3-4 days a week burning about 400-450 cal/workout. Why am I not loosing more? Measurements have not changed. My workout is the treadmill: mixed walking, running, and incline for about 40 min. Help please!

Replies

• rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Not everybody drops weight fast. I know my first couple of months only went down a little and it still goes down little by little. I used a treadmill at first to and for me it just didn't work. I bought some workout DVDs and fit in Zumba here and there and it changed my measurements a lot better. Basically for me I needed a different workout. Everybody is different. Not only that the weight isn't just going to fall off you have to work for it.

Hang in there!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What post are you referring to? There are several. :smile:

If your BMR is 1342, you actually want to eat above that - 1342 is the bare minimum and what you would need if you were in a coma just for basic functions. If you want that to be your goal, then you need to eat back those exercise cals.

If you used the In Place Of a Road Map thread, you need to take the higher number, your TDEE, which is your total daily energy expenditure, the total calorie estimate that your burn each day, based on your activity level. Then subtract 20% from that number, and that's your goal - this is where you don't eat back exercise cals because it's figured in already.

You should at least be netting your BMR daily - it needs more than coma calories to get through your day and rock your workouts!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You're losing a lot faster than me! I've lost 22 pounds in 4 years (but only joined MFP recently).

Since joining, I keep losing and gaining the same 2-3 pounds on 1200-1400 calories per day and intermittent exercise. I'm working on getting my exercise more regular and tightening up on my food logging. I still find myself tasting things when I'm busy in the kitchen from time to time.
  • wandabreighner
    Options
    The post was the "in place of a road map." So let me see if I understand. If my bmr is 1342, I want to eat about 200 more cal. than that. I need to exercise, but not add those calories back in to eat. I just eat about 1500 daily and exercise 3-4 days a week. Is that correct? I used to be able to lose weight easily. When I did South Beach years ago I lost 1 lb./day without exercising. Now, I put it on, and it stays. I used to be very thin and the last few years it's just really climbed. My BF is 34.9%! I even did the insanity workout (for 3 weeks, no weight loss) I've even had times in the past where I went to the gym with a friend 6 days/week for 60-90 minutes for almost two months. Not one lb. lost. Very frustrating to work so hard and not lose weight or clothing sizes.
  • dlcuthbert
    dlcuthbert Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You could be not eating enough calories and putting your body in starvation mode. If you used the in place of a roadmap technique you would want to find your TDEE out and subtract about 20% from that number. You would not eat back your calories since TDEE takes this in account. Most likely you should be eating around 2k calories if you are burning 400-500 calories a workout.

Hope this helps as I am also new and took me asking some questions as well to fully understand.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    1. You might think about making your diary open (scary sometimes, I know) if you want people to give you informed ideas. Otherwise, it is really hard to guess.

2. How are you coming up with the calorie burn? 450 in 40 minutes with some walking in there sounds kind of high. You might check the accuracy on that. You don't want to overestimate.

3. For me, 3-4 times a week wasn't enough to lose much. I exercise every day, with one day a week being a little lighter. I see more results that way.

Good luck!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

3. For me, 3-4 times a week wasn't enough to lose much. I exercise every day, with one day a week being a little lighter. I see more results that way.

Good luck!

As far as I know, all the science says this is enough, but I have to agree - even in my teens and twenties. I simply don't lose if I don't exercise consistently. I think I must have some natural athletic ability that being a runt and a geek have surpressed.
  • wendaeh
    wendaeh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The post was the "in place of a road map." So let me see if I understand. If my bmr is 1342, I want to eat about 200 more cal. than that. I need to exercise, but not add those calories back in to eat. I just eat about 1500 daily and exercise 3-4 days a week. Is that correct? I used to be able to lose weight easily. When I did South Beach years ago I lost 1 lb./day without exercising. Now, I put it on, and it stays. I used to be very thin and the last few years it's just really climbed. My BF is 34.9%! I even did the insanity workout (for 3 weeks, no weight loss) I've even had times in the past where I went to the gym with a friend 6 days/week for 60-90 minutes for almost two months. Not one lb. lost. Very frustrating to work so hard and not lose weight or clothing sizes.

Have you consulted your Dr to be sure there is no medical reason for not losing weight (thyroid, medications you are taking, etc)?
  • nwachim
    nwachim Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    just hang in there,when i started same thing happened to me and i just hung in there and forgot about the scale for a while and when i weighed again,i had lost a lot that i even became scared i must have lost too much in a little time.be patient and see the weight loss/healthy living journey as part of your life now.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Rather than starting with your BMR and adding to it to get your goal, I would take your TDEE and subtract the 20% from that. You need to know both numbers so you can be sure to eat in between them - that way you know you're getting enough fuel, but still staying a healthy deficit.
  • lizjjam
    lizjjam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have the same problem. I have been losing then the past 2 days, I´ve gained almost 2 kilos. My food diary is open, feel free to take a look. All measures are accurate (i use kitchen scales) and don´t eat anything until I´ve read the nutritional info. I even include sauces, juice, anything that has calories.

I´ve been doing this since August and losing but as soon as I get to 86 kilos, my weight starts going back up.

I exercise for 25 minutes everyday and the past couple of days I´ve been extremely active painting and decorating, but haven´t logged that part.

I´m getting really annoyed because I´ve had to reset my goals at least 4 times now and I can´t seem to get under 86. Help!!
  • wandabreighner
    Options
    My diary is now open. I track my calories with a heart rate monitor that I wear when I exercise. I seem to lose, eat and exercise well, then gain. I will stick with it, but some pointers would be great.