1st time grocery shopping...

Options
Today I am going grocery shopping for the 1st time for my new more healthy lifestyle change I am starting to make, but I feel totally lost on what to buy for snacks and breakfast, lunch and dinner isn't that big of a deal, I know how to cook and I understand healthier methods of cooking, and what is "good" and what is "bad". But Snacks and breakfast seem a bit intimidating, I don't want to eat the same thing over and over and over, so I was looking for what people like to eat for breakfast and snacks. So what are your favorite "fit" breakfast and snacks?

Replies

• runningfataway
    Options
    Rambles:

Chobani greek yogurt plain
    Rolled oats
    Eggs to hardboil/scramble
    Whole wheat biscuits
    Brown rice
    Whole wheat bread slices
    Chicken breast
    Lean ground turkey
    Citrus fruits
    fresh/no-sugar added jam
    Almond milk plain
    whole wheat english muffins (mini-pizzas and buns for burgers)
    tomatoes (tuna salad, burgers, and slices with a little salt for a snack)
    1 red bell pepper (half for tuna salad, half for stir fry)
    fresh asparagus
    celery (some for tuna salad, some for stir fry, some to eat with hummus)
    sweet potatoes
    1 lemon (used for lemon garlic asparagus, tuna salad, and stir fry)
    pasta sauce - no added sugar
    1 or 2 cans of organic soup (amy’s split pea is the best)
    2 cans of tuna

here are the things i’m definitely making at some point for dinner:

burgers (english muffin + veggie burger + tomato slice + lettuce)
    lemon garlic asparagus (asparagus + garlic clove + lemon)
    tuna salad (2 cans tuna + plain yogurt + celery + 1/2 red pepper + lemon juice + apple)
    stir fry (bell pepper + soy sauce + chicken + brown rice + any other veggies i throw in)

For ideas/inspiration:
    http://fitasfu**.tumblr.com/post/26095880512

http://fu**yeahfitspo.tumblr.com/

http://itstimetoburn.com/healthy-lunches-for-work-our-top-10-made-quick-and-easy/

http://pinterest.com/hopefulturk/yumm/

http://pinterest.com/hopefulturk/health/
  • am06or
    am06or Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I have these things : eggs, egg whites, turkey bacon, whole wheat english muffins, greek yogurt etc and protein bars for when I am lazy and wake up late lol.
    Snacks: greek yogurt, almonds, apples (or other fruit but I like apples), veggies and hummus...
  • pigmartianpig
    Options
    First key - shop the perimeter of the store. It is where the freshest and most nurtitious item are. The produce, dairy, meats. the center aisles have all of the processed foods.

Second, the more ingrediants there are the less healthy the food is likely to be. For example - if you like peanut butter it should have nothing more than peanuts, salt and oil. Any more than that is just junk. Some don't even have those three. there are plenty of healthy versions of the things you love to take the time to read labels until you have locked away the brands you know are the best.

Cooking is all about flavor. Spices are your friend.

Some good easy ideas: any kind of fruit or veggie cut up with some kind of dip you make on your own. you can also use the natural peanut butter, honey or other things like that. I personaly like roasted sweet potatoes with honey to dip them in. A fast and easy breakfast is to get a low cal high fiber english muffin, one egg, canadian bacon and a slice of cheese if you want. nuke the scrambled egg - takes all of a minute - while you toast the muffin. make a sandwich and off you go. Protien to keep you full, flavor and under 350 cal.

For snacks nuts are an easy option. The key for snacks is prepacking. get the snack size baggies and measure servings into them so that you don't over estimate a serving size. Also, give yourself a mix of flavors and textures. Some crunchy, some sweet, some salty, etc.....

One benefit of eating someting similar a lot is that you begin to figure out if you are truly hungry or just snacking to snack.

Hope some of this helps.
  • pigmartianpig
    Options
    For breakfast I have these things : eggs, egg whites, turkey bacon, whole wheat english muffins, greek yogurt etc and protein bars for when I am lazy and wake up late lol.
    Snacks: greek yogurt, almonds, apples (or other fruit but I like apples), veggies and hummus...

Love Hummus!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    • eggs
    • egg whites
    • morning star veggie sausages
    • whole grain 45-calorie (a slice) bread
    • or, ezekiel low-sodium organic bread (not low calorie, but additive and preservative free, wonderful wonderful product)
    • chobani low-fat greek yogurt
    • fruit
    • oatmeal

Breakfast Ideas:
    • breakfast sandwich w/ egg (or egg whites), veggie sausage and cheese (sargentos ultra thin slices) on whole grain toast
    • oatmeal w/ fresh fruit (blueberries are my fave to mix in)
    • chobani yogurt w/ fresh fruit mixed in
    • breakfast wraps (egg, veggie sausage & cheese on whole wheat wraps)
    • omelets w/ fresh veggies (mushrooms, broccoli, onions, bell peppers)

Lunch/Dinner
    • frozen meals (yes sodium is high, but they are great options for busy days)
    • chicken breasts
    • tilapia
    • salmon
    • shrimp
    • pork roast (pork is a great, lean meat, if you get the RIGHT CUT)
    • veggie burgers (morning star & boca brands are both great)
    • beans (white beans, kidney beans, black beans, garbonzo beans)
    • lentils
    • split peas
    • low-sodium veggie/chicken stock (always keep on hand)
    • brown rice
    • quinoa
    • frozen spinach
    • veggies (asparagus, broccoli, butternut squash, acorn squash, mushrooms, ect)

Lunch/Dinner Ideas
    • Portabella mushroom burgers
    • Grilled chicken w/ rice and veggies
    • Salmon w/ terriaki glaze (they make low sodium ones now!)
    • Shrimp tossed with lemon, garlic and pepper w/ roasted asparagus
    • Tilapia crusted w/ toritlla crumbs and baked, served with salsa and veggies
    • salads (beans for protein source)

Snacks
    • nuts
    • peanut butter
    • crackers
    • dried fruit
    • hummus
    • yogurt
    • fresh fruit

hope that gave you some new ideas!!!
    good luck on your shopping trip!!!

♥m
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Go to cookinglight.com they have awesome light recipes, sometimes even with meal planning grocery lists, also a ton of good snack ideas. I usually go to their website and search by ingredient for fresh ideas, especially because I eat a lot of chicken! Make sure you eat before you go to the store to avoid splurging on items you don't need or want in your house!
  • missmadejavu
    missmadejavu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one!