Calories!

Options
I'm new at this so just trying to figure out whats best.
MFP said that I need to eat only 1200 calories!
But when I look on other boards and people say that, that's not nearly enough, Help!
I do cardio typically 5 times a week for an hour.
I'm 5'2 and CW170 GW135

Replies

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You may want to give this post a read... make sure you read some of the comments where Dan explains it a little better. I just switched to the road map this week and feel it is really going to work for me.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    did you set your goal at 2 lb/wk?
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a look at the roadmap and also work with your 'plan of action' (aka. exercise plan). I would also suggest every 5 or so lbs lost that you go back over the steps on the roadmap. It will keep you on the right path :)
  • koridoobah
    koridoobah Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    :huh: That's strange ... whenever I eat less than 1200, MFP yells at me and says it's not enough. But everyone is different!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    MFP gave you a caloric goal based on your inputs...my guess is that you told MFP you wanted to lose 2 Lbs per week. It doesn't sound like a lot and most people want to go with the most aggressive approach...in truth, 2 Lbs per week loss is generally considered an unhealthy way to lose, particularly if you're not obese/morbidly obese. This is generally why you hear so many people saying that it's not nearly enough...particularly in reference to people who make this their goal and workout, but don't eat back exercise calories. They create too big a caloric deficit between the built in deficit in the goal and exercise deficit and the metabolism stalls in an effort to protect your body and organs from starvation. Also, people who go the 2 Lb route tend to have more plateaus throughout their journey rather than consistent, safe, and healthy weight loss.

The road map is excellent...alternatively, you could select 1 Lb per week or .5 Lbs per week for safe and healthy weight loss.
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Definitely check that thread out. For my main pointers, I'd say to you:

1)MFP does set me at 1200, IF i try for 2 lbs a week. I lowered my goal to accomodate a bit more food each day to fit my comfort level. It has to be maintainable!

2) That 1200 is before exercise. MFP's plan wants you to eat at least some of those back as well. So, you will more than likely be eating a good chunk more than 1200.
  • lb617611
    Options
    Thanks guy! I'v been reading the road map, and its starting to make sense!
    And I have lowered my goal to .5lb a week!