Zig Zag Calories

Options
I have lost 68 lbs however have been stuck since the end of November at the same weight. Several people have suggested to zig zag calories...has anyone ever tried this and have they been successful in breaking a plateau in using this method? Just scared that if I increase I will gain weight back. Help!!!! Any other tips are welcomed too! I need this plateau to disappear. I am 17 pounds away from my goal weight!

Replies

• barbie231970
    Options
    Oh wow weldone

I am only just starting my journey. I love food so I think I will struggle. My main goal at the moment is portion size so if you have any tips would love to hear from you and any tips on how you lost your weight would be great.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    All evidence that calorie cycling works is purely anecdotal. If you prefer to eat that way, then do it. It probably won't provide any added benefit. If you want to break a plateau try increasing protein/decreasing carbs and varying your workouts (if you're a runner, start lifting and vice versa).
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Can you open your diary please so we can take a peek!... there's alot more options than just zig zagging calories (although this does work for some people).... all you really need to do is change it up a bit... change your macro's (maybe more protein than carbs), change your workout (maybe weight training over cadio) or change your calorie level, your body will just sometimes say 'i've had enough, i'm bored with dieting, i want something different' and changing just small things can get it going again!

I found the most sucessful way was to up calories by 100kcal until the next time, than a further 100kcal... right up to maintainance! Maybe you could try that!?

Simon x
  • barbie231970
    Options
    I have no Idea what zigzag Calories is?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I have no Idea what zigzag Calories is?
    It's calorie cycling. For example, let's say your calorie goal is 2000 but you want to start "zigzagging", you might eat 1600 on Sunday, 1800 on Monday, 2300 on Tuesday, 1500 on Wednesday, 2400 on Thursday, 2000 on Friday, and 2400 on Saturday. This would average out to 2000 calories a day or 14000 calories a week giving you the same deficit, there's really no advantage to it unless you prefer to eat this way.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If your at a pleatu increase your calories by about 200 or so, or just increase your fat grams for about a week, not by much maybe 5 or 10 grams. Your body uses fat to burn fat, so this should get you through. Then go back to your normal caloric intake. I would not suggest zig zaging your calories daily, consistency would be better. You can, however, as I do, have a "free" day without going nuts.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I learn something new everyday on these forums. Never heard of Zigzag dieting before!
  • cinfaro
    cinfaro Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The zig zagging I read was like say eat like your weight loss calories for 3 consecutive days and then eat your maintenance calories for 1 day and then back to the loss calories and repeat....It seems confusing and not sure how it will work. I might just stick to what I am doing a keep trying to break thru. All I know is 15 pounds was so much easier to loose in the beginning than it is now at the end hahaha
  • cinfaro
    Options
    If your at a pleatu increase your calories by about 200 or so, or just increase your fat grams for about a week, not by much maybe 5 or 10 grams. Your body uses fat to burn fat, so this should get you through. Then go back to your normal caloric intake. I would not suggest zig zaging your calories daily, consistency would be better. You can, however, as I do, have a "free" day without going nuts.

People have been telling me this too. To increase my calories for a week and see what happens. I am just SCARED that i will go backwards but I think that is a mental thing. Thanks for your help!
  • hnuzzolilo
    hnuzzolilo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine was at a plateau also. She increased her water intake, and that helped kick start her again. Good luck.
  • cinfaro
    Options
    Oh wow weldone

I am only just starting my journey. I love food so I think I will struggle. My main goal at the moment is portion size so if you have any tips would love to hear from you and any tips on how you lost your weight would be great.

For me portion was the key. I was not willing to give up foods I love and could not envision giving them up for the rest of my life. Portion is the best way to loose weight and change to a life time commitment to keep it off! One of the things my doctor said after I lost 50 lbs was if i could commit to doing what i have done forever then he was proud if not than i have to reevaluate. Tips: Drink tons of water, exercise alot (seems tough some days and at the beginning I hated it! Now it is an addiction and I get angry if I dont exercise), and it is ok to give in OCCASIONALLY and have a treat. That is the difference between a diet and lifestyle change.
  • cinfaro
    Options
    A good friend of mine was at a plateau also. She increased her water intake, and that helped kick start her again. Good luck.

Oh I could totally try that! thank you!