What's the big deal with avocado?

Options

Replies

• TheMoonMuse
    TheMoonMuse Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just started to eat some half avocados...very nice flavor.

Not to hijack thread but store the uneaten portions in a container of diced onions and they won't spoil for many days.

Does it add onion taste? I wouldn't mind that necessarily....just curious. My "avocado saver" doesn't work and neither does storing it with the pit and some lemon. I just suffer through eating a whole avocado in a day :wink:

Try storing the uneaten half in a sealed container with the pit still in it. Sometimes they still get a little discolored but nothing that will turn me away :)

***Edited to say, never mind, you tried the pit :) I need to finish my coffee before I write anymore :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't believe calories are a bad thing, but I do believe I need to limit them by a certain amount if I want to lose weight.

And you know why they are so delicious? Because they are full of fat. Seriously.

Hey, I think they are ok too, when I can decent ones. There's just so much I would choose before avocado to make up my daily food allowance.

Yes, fat tastes good and is satiating. This is why some healthy fat in a snack will keep you longer than something like crackers. However, if you are eating very low calorie, like 1200 a day, I can see how there would be no room for avocados.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I eat avocados because they are delicious, and I am willing to have higher calories overall in order to get the nutritonal benefits. Often if I'm having a sandwich, I will mash avocado and use it in place of a condiment. And they are delicious, did I mention that?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    It tastes awesome. It's a good fat source.

And it tastes awesome. Have you ever TRIED chocolate avocado mousse with a flake bar crushed into it? If not... Do so.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat =/= body fat. You NEED dietary fats. The best sources of omega 3's are fish oil and flax. You don't need to eat carbs or sugar, you don't need meat, you don't need dairy, but the two absolutely essential things to have in your diet are omega 3's and protein. You can have those other things of course, but they're not necessary to life.

Yes. People have a hard time getting beyond the 1980s-1990s mindset that fat free = good. Fats can be healthy (avocados, nuts, salmon) and fats can be unhealthy (trans fats from packaged foods). Do a little reading on it, as it is information worth knowing.

Also, avocados are freaking delicious.

Couldn't have said this better.

Hence the addition of flaxseed, chia seeds, nuts, avocados and all types of other healthy fats in my diet now! :bigsmile:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Just started to eat some half avocados...very nice flavor.

Not to hijack thread but store the uneaten portions in a container of diced onions and they won't spoil for many days.

You should never ever under ANY circumstances pre chop onions!! EVER!

why? o_O
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    NewNutrientstable01.jpg
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Because its delicious
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Avocado is just one natural unprocessed way to get healthy fat. It is high in calories, but your body needs some fat and fat has more calories than carbs or protein. It's nothing magical.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I love avocados.
    I love the creaminess.
    But I eat them not so much for the "good" fats but because I struggle to get enough calories in and this helps.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    The monounsaturated fats in avocadoes lower your LDL cholesterol, while raising your HDL cholesterol. Every healthy diet needs to include healthy fats.

Avocadoes taste delicious - mashed up, I use them as a replacement for conventional salad dressings, which are much less healthy.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Um, it's delicious? Need I say more?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It turns my face numb and makes my tongue and throat itch like a poison ivy.

Still eat it. Still worth it. It's THAT good.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Your body does need fats to function at it's best and cutting fat too low can lead to vitamin absorption issues as well as digestive issues.

As for why eat it, if you like it, eat it, if you don't, don't. I personally would always choose avocado over blueberries because I don't care for blueberries. I eat avocado because I like the taste. I really don't need the fat (probably get about 40% calories from fat), but the flavor is great when you get a good avocado. It can also be a healthier alternative to mayo for sandwiches and spreads.

Also, if a person is having a hard time meeting their calorie goals, eating healthier foods naturally higher in fats is a great way to add calories without adding a lot of volume.
  • ton40orbust
    Options
    I dont know what the big deal is with avocado. When I used to work at Einstein Bros Bagels we sold tons of Turkeybacon-tomato-lettuce and avocado bagel thins. And at Baja Fresh the #1 thing sold seemed to be the guacamole. I'm personally allergic to avocado so I really don't get the hype associated with them, they look and taste like death to me.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Well, first off, you can't have guacamole without avocado, so I think it's kind of a big deal.
  • therayeraye
    therayeraye Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Does it add onion taste? I wouldn't mind that necessarily....just curious. My "avocado saver" doesn't work and neither does storing it with the pit and some lemon. I just suffer through eating a whole avocado in a day :wink:

I cut it into cubes and take it out of the skin and give them just a quick toss in lemon juice (don't leave them sitting in it though) and keep them in a container in the fridge and it works for me
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat because they were eating too much avacado.
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a great guac for us for superbowl, it's like a salsa verde and guac combinded. My favorite line is "chinese call the avocadp butter fruit" Thats's dead on isn't it !

http://www.gilttaste.com/stories/4271-a-fire-roasted-guacamole-recipe-so-good-the-nfl-might-sue-me
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Hey, I think they are ok too, when I can decent ones. There's just so much I would choose before avocado to make up my daily food allowance.

That is the magic of MFP.......if you love them, they can be a part of your diet. If you don't, you are allowed to choose anything else you prefer.

MFP=freedom.