HRM?

Options
What kind of Heart Rate Monitor do you use? What do you like about it/how does it help you? Was it worth the money?

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I went cheaper and got the Reebok Dual HRM and I like it fine. It took me bit to get used to it and figure out everything. Polar has the best from what I have read
  • HokieMama4
    HokieMama4 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    Anybody else have an opinion?
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to see what everyone says, I need to add an HRM as the BodyMedia FIT doesn't track the actual heart rate SMH
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is a good basic model with a good reputation.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor...the reviews were great. I got it on amazon...it's pretty awesome, not super expensive..and a great investment. : )
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, I got it last week and it's great! It is pretty basic. Since having my HRM I work harder just so I can see the numbers and it helps me stay on track. The cals for exercise on MFP were way off for me.
  • megannxx
    megannxx Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 (step up from the FT4, the one I have just lets you know when you are in fitness mode or fat burning mode.) I got it on amazon for $109.99 and i love it. It's really easy to use and helps a lot.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Polar ft4
  • MissKriss3
    MissKriss3 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT7 is a little more user friendly than the FT4, it has more buttons to go through the menu options. When selecting a HRM you want to get one that has a chest strap :)
  • muscat_princess
    Options
    i got the polar FT4 last week. the grey one. i love it. it records your last 15 workouts. with dates and all. it tell u when your in the zone according to your heartbeat. how long your workouts are and how long u were in the fat burning zone to burn fat....i love to put it there n work out. then n the end look at my cals n see how much i burned. it has a pause button if i need to go to the restroom or something. they come in different colors.
    it makes me work harder..i love to see the cals add up. or work to keep me in the zone.....the reward is the outcome of the cals i burn.
    i do work harder since i bought mine last week. and it has paid cus i lost 2 pounds since i bought it.
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Recently got the Polar H7. So far so good, seems pretty accurate and reliable. Paid $62.50 for it, I would say it was worth it.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Wearlink+. I got this specifically because it is compatible with my phone and the apps i use. HOWEVER, with the apps I use it DOES NOT specifically measure or track "calories burned" which I prefer, because I prefer to use several different calculators to determine that since I don't know what formulas the auto track ones are using.

What I use mine for is to track and modify heart rate during exercise. I was going pedal to the floor and feeling pretty iffy and found out after I got my HRM that I was working out entirely too close to my max heart rate.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you want to use it for. I'm a bit of a gadget geek so I did a fair amount of research before picking mine up. Because of the workouts I do (mostly biking and running) I picked up a Garmin Forerunner. I also have a Polar FT60 that I'm experimenting with for my non run/bike workouts. Actually today I'm experimenting with it by wearing it all day long to compare it's calorie burn to the bodymedia fit.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    posted this on another thread too.
    thought i would share my experience with my garmin forerunner 110 my awesome wife got me for christmas.
    what it does- gps HRM, stop watch, time, distance, avg pace/lap, calories after you download it to the connect site.
    what i like - all the stuff i mentioned above. i like when running or walking knowing my pace and HR and know what the exact distance is(*see below) and can change my route mid run if i decide to go farther. then when you download it from the watch to the online site it maps it, like in google maps, so you can get a view of what you did and can think about how to modify or save it as a course. shows all your stats, pace, laps, actual moving time, avg HR, the whole works. the strap doesn't bother me, no chaffing or irritation. even when i do my circuit routine and lay down to do abs. can use indoors whe it is freezing out. it will still do stopwatch function and HRM just no GPS, obviously.

downsides- doesn't mean i don't like. just stuff to consider. battery. i have read a lot of reviews about battery issues. garmins don't have a regular battery you can change. i have only had it couple months so no issues. it has gone a week or more with out charging and still had half a battery left. i don't do marathons, the farthest i have gone with it is 4-5 miles total. about 45 mins so battery was fine. the thing that drains it is GPS. most of the day it sits or can wear as a watch. if the battery dies i will cross that bridge then. cost - my wife got a great deal. i would not have bought it myself because of cost, but fortunately i have an awesome wife who did. i prob would have went the fitbit or polar route. is it worth it, right now i say yes, ask me in a year. also- doesn't sync with anything. like your phone or mfp or anything, except garmin.

i have not tried out their training programs so i can't comment on that, yet.

*sidebar from above. it has on a couple occasions when i started running as soon as it synced GPS started me in the wrong location and had me running directly through the downtown buildings. in other words throwing off my first mile distance and pace. so now i make sure to walk at least a few hundred yds just to make sure it is on and then hit lap and start running.
  • cymweekly
    Options
    I used to use a Polar HRM that came with my bike computer. It worked great.

Then I started triathlons and upgraded to the Garmin Forerunner 910XT, so to 'keep everything in the family' i swapped HRMs too.I haven't had any issues with that one either. It keeps track of... everything. The only thing it doesn't do is keep HR during the swim, but I have yet to find something that does; or make me coffee. Garmin has some great products that are relatively inexpensive, come with GPS as well as many other features, the Forerunner 110 is great. Along with the online fitness tracking site, the 'Garmin Connect.'
  • HokieMama4
    HokieMama4 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I've been reading about them before deciding if I want to buy. I like the idea of knowing more accurately how much I'm burning.

Does the chest strap bother you? Seems like it would be uncomfortable or weird to get used to. And does it stay in place? I do a lot of Zumba and kickboxing.
  • EmmaLA16
    EmmaLA16 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I find it great, plus my watch is pink so I like to wear it out too. I don't even notice the chest strap, it sits underneath my sports bra so doesn't affect me or my workout. I have to say I was dubious as I've only ever seen the lads at the gym wearing them but I was worried for nothing.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Zephyr HxM bluetooth with my phone. Very comfortable chest strap & you get your choice of fitness apps.
  • GoneKona
    Options
    I have a polar S210, an older model. I use it to count calories, make sure I'm in my target zones, and help time my intervals. Can't recommend them highly enough.
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I've been reading about them before deciding if I want to buy. I like the idea of knowing more accurately how much I'm burning.

Does the chest strap bother you? Seems like it would be uncomfortable or weird to get used to. And does it stay in place? I do a lot of Zumba and kickboxing.

I have a Garmin 610 which is fabulous but quite pricey. The chest strap doesn't bother me at all. In fact, yesterday I wore it roller skating and then later went out for dinner with friends and when I got back home and went to change I was very surprised to see that I had been wearing the chest strap all day without even realising.