What's the big deal with avocado?

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Avocados are far more nutrient-dense than blueberries.

A 150 gram avocado has:
    Fiber - 10 g
    Vit A - 4%
    Vit C - 25%
    Vit K - 39%
    Thiamin - 7%
    Riboflavin - 11%
    Vit B6 - 19%
    Folate - 30%
    Pantothenic Acid - 21%

Calcium - 2%
    Iron - 5%
    Magnesium - 11%
    Phosphorus - 8%
    Potassium - 21%
    Zinc - 6%
    Copper - 14%
    Manganese - 11%
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    And always eat them raw. They get bitter when cooked.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    I don't believe calories are a bad thing, but I do believe I need to limit them by a certain amount if I want to lose weight.

And you know why they are so delicious? Because they are full of fat. Seriously.

Hey, I think they are ok too, when I can decent ones. There's just so much I would choose before avocado to make up my daily food allowance.

You are just chock full 'o 90s fad info, aren't you?? Fat does make things taste good, and fat is important. How many times are we going to have to say it, here? GOOD DIETARY FAT IS GOOD. Avocado provides *necessary* fat as well as delicious flavour. It's basically the worlds most perfect food.

You're just chock full of condescension, aren't you??

Yup.

:drinker:
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583

Have both:

Blueberry Avocado Maca Morning Pudding

What you need:

1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
    2 cups frozen (preferably organic) blueberries
    2 t chia seeds
    6 Medjool dates, pitted
    2 T maca powder
    2 T (preferably raw) almond butter
    1/2 t pure vanilla extract
    2 cups water
    cinnamon, for sprinkling
    pure maple syrup for drizzling

What to do:

Place all ingredients in a blender and let soak for 30 minutes.
    Blend and pour into two bowls & sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with a little maple syrup.
  • SugarFemme24
    SugarFemme24 Posts: 47 Member
    I agree with OP. I hate avocados. They are so gross to me! Maybe once or twice a year I can eat guac, but it has to be with NO chucks in it. Ick! :)
  • grrupp
    grrupp Posts: 159 Member
    From the nutrition class I took in college and the doctor at the gym I go to I have learned that you need good fats for several reasons. The main one I can remember is to keep your metabolism running efficiently. Without the good fats, that your body can use your metabolism will be sluggish and you will also notice some adverse side effects such as hair loss.
    You can find the good fats in avocados but also olive oil, walnuts, salmon ect.
    Oh and the blueberries are a great source of antioxidants so keep up eatting those :)
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    It turns my face numb and makes my tongue and throat itch like a poison ivy.

Still eat it. Still worth it. It's THAT good.

As an allergy nurse I would say that you are heading for an Emergency Room visit in the near future if you persist in taking in something that does this.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    The Aztecs used avocado as a sex stimulant and the Aztec name for avocado was ahuacatl, which means "testicle."

I love all of this information. :)
  • grrupp
    grrupp Posts: 159 Member
    Mono fats are essential in muscle building and fat loss. the general rule is to eat 30% your weight in saturated fats, 30% in mono and 30% in polyunsaturated, daily. the myth of not eating any fats in a diet is just that, a myth. avacados also have lots of protein, blueberries are terrific for antioxidants, but you should def pay attention to your fat intake, not too much, not too little and you'll be suprised at the change in your bod.

He explained this perfectly, I hope you read this :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I love threads that ask why a good food is good, then spend the next three pages telling you how you're all wrong.

I need a crystal pepsi to sip on for this.

Dear OP, if you don't like avocado and aren't going to eat it... why even post? Missed your time at the pulpit yesterday?
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    You cant lose weight strictly on low fat diets. your body needs good fats in order to lose weight
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    I love threads that ask why a good food is good, then spend the next three pages telling you how you're all wrong.

I need a crystal pepsi to sip on for this.

Dear OP, if you don't like avocado and aren't going to eat it... why even post? Missed your time at the pulpit yesterday?

^This. Avocado is good. If you'd rather eat blueberries, eat blueberries. You still need to have good fats in your diet, which you're not going to get from berries, so not sure why you're comparing the two. If you'd rather get your fat from another healthy source, do that. I'm totally confused as to the point of this post...
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    After quickly perusing this thread, I do not see the most important point in eating fats: fat soluble vitamins.
    Vitamins A D E & K are fat soluble and you need them for good health.
    Yes, there are other sources for these, but avocado contains A & E as well as C, B vitamins and minerals and mono-unsaturated fats which can help lower blood pressure.
    You are welcome.
    :drinker:

This. Plus if you are eating a fat free diet you will put your metabolism into a stall and your body will store fat because it's not getting enough.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Just started to eat some half avocados...very nice flavor.

Not to hijack thread but store the uneaten portions in a container of diced onions and they won't spoil for many days.

Does it add onion taste? I wouldn't mind that necessarily....just curious. My "avocado saver" doesn't work and neither does storing it with the pit and some lemon. I just suffer through eating a whole avocado in a day :wink:

Try storing the uneaten half in a sealed container with the pit still in it. Sometimes they still get a little discolored but nothing that will turn me away :)

***Edited to say, never mind, you tried the pit :) I need to finish my coffee before I write anymore :)

I leave the pit and put it with dozen or less onion dices in the sealed container. I don't taste the onion, but I would gather some others might. I've also heard put in cut side down in olive oil dish to seal it but had no luck with it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    [ during the days of the plague, people would chop onions and place them in bowls on the floor in every room of their house to help collect the toxins before they could reach the people living in the home.

How well did that work out for them?
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member

Have both:

Blueberry Avocado Maca Morning Pudding

What you need:

1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
    2 cups frozen (preferably organic) blueberries
    2 t chia seeds
    6 Medjool dates, pitted
    2 T maca powder
    2 T (preferably raw) almond butter
    1/2 t pure vanilla extract
    2 cups water
    cinnamon, for sprinkling
    pure maple syrup for drizzling

What to do:

Place all ingredients in a blender and let soak for 30 minutes.
    Blend and pour into two bowls & sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with a little maple syrup.

How many servings is this??
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Personally, I'd rather have a big cup of blueberries for a snack than half an avocado, for half the calories and none of the fat.

I understand it's better than eating straight lard, I just don't see the great value in it when added up against other foods.

First, just let me say that I am definitely not bashing blueberries (I love them) but since you compared them:

Data for 1cup avocado vs 1cup blueberries (about 150 grs) from nutriondata.self.com.

Blueberries:
    Energy 84 cal
    Calories from sugars 92%, from fat: 4%, from incomplete protein 4%
    *Mayor source of: Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Manganese

Avocado:
    Energy: 240 cal
    Calories from fat: 77%, from carbs: 19%, from high quality protein: 4%
    *Mayor source of: Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium

Avocados are quite calorie dense but they are also very nutrient dense. They might not be the best choice if you are watching calories, but it definitely makes sense to call them "health food".
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    You need healthy fats for good brain function. Fats are necessary for creating neurotransmitters. They improve memory, learning, and help control moods.

Healthy fats stimulate leptin production. This is the hormone that says stop eating, I'm full. Healthy fats help you stay satisfied longer.

Healthy fats help reduce triglycerides. This is important for your heart and blood pressure.

Some vitamins must have healthy fats present for absorption into the body. Vitamin A and D for example.

So, those are just a few reasons to eat healthy fats such as avocado.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Not to hijack thread but store the uneaten portions in a container of diced onions and they won't spoil for many days.

You should never ever under ANY circumstances pre chop onions!! EVER!

why? o_O

there are studies that say once an onion is cut into, it can collect surrounding toxins. then in turn you eat those toxins. during the days of the plague, people would chop onions and place them in bowls on the floor in every room of their house to help collect the toxins before they could reach the people living in the home.

I don't eat the onions, so I don't see the harm regardless. [dunno/]
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member

You should never ever under ANY circumstances pre chop onions!! EVER!

why? o_O

there are studies that say once an onion is cut into, it can collect surrounding toxins. then in turn you eat those toxins. during the days of the plague, people would chop onions and place them in bowls on the floor in every room of their house to help collect the toxins before they could reach the people living in the home.

Seriously? Absorbing toxins to prevent plague? That was back in the Dark Ages (literally), before people ever learned about bacteria and viruses which cause illness. (BTW, the plague is caused by bacteria, is still around, and easily treated by antibiotics). Truth be told the onion smell probably helped mask the odor of illness and death--not to mention that most people didn't keep to present hygiene standards, either for themselves or their homes, hence the prevalence of rodents--->fleas--->plague.

Now, cut onion definitely releases oils and thus will alter the flavor of other nearby foods in the fridge. I almost never use all of a whole onion, so I dice up the unused portion, divide into ziplock bags and freeze. Later when I need chopped onion for a recipie, I pull out a bag and throw the frozen onion in the pot! Voila! (And nobody's died of "toxins" from this method either).