suggestions for healthy tacos

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
pleeeeease. I'm going to be good and not have a high calorie margarita today but I need some help to figure out healthy taco ideas!

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to the market after the gym to buy the stuff and make them myself. I'm thinking Ill get Corn torillas instead of reg ones. Im not sure about the taco seasoning though. I'd rather make my own but I have no idea what to put in it??
  • mysometimeisnow
    Options
    I always get the tortillas that have extra fiber, use ground turkey and extra spicy taco seasoning and then add fat free cheese
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Refried beans, chicken and salsa....good fiber, protein, and low carb count, decent on calories too....but honestly I'm bad about it and will add mexican rice on the side for the carbs I'm missing
  • weirdean
    weirdean Posts: 3
    Options
    Try using ground turkey. My kids can't tell the difference. Beans have lots of fiber and are really good with fajita style peppers.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    use ground turkey, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and a little cheese, and find some low cal tortilla chips instead of shells. Taco salad is just as good and festive as tacos!
  • AML102
    AML102 Posts: 2
    Options
    I use lean ground beef (5% Fat). Hard shells are better for you then soft (I use the stand and stuff, I get 2 taco shells for 120 calories as oppose to the soft where 1 shell is 100). Then I use low fat cheese, low fat sour cream and such. I make them once a week-ish and I get 2 tacos = about 500 calories. Hope this helps! Happy Cinco de Mayo :)
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    For the shell you can find some low calorie/fat/carb ones. I bought some made by Ole, they are very high in fiber, 110 calories, 2g fat and only 5 total carbs! They taste like flower tortillas too!!! If you get corn you'd have to fry them in oil. As for meat I'd definatly go with chicken. Shreaded chicken or ground. I think ground turkey is a little higher in fat. BUT I do remember when I made some a few weeks ago I found low fat hamburger meat, not as low as chicken, but I was willing to splurge :wink: As for taco seasoning... I'd just buy the stuff in the package. I'm not 100% sure how to make your own but I would think it would be a mix of Chilli Powder, Garlic Salt, Cumin, Pepper, and little cayenne pepper if you like it spicey.

Maybe save some extra calories for a corona light :laugh: Hope your taco's turn out great!!!
  • medrewiske
    medrewiske Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I found this amazing taco seasoning recipe on allrecipes.com. I never buy it anymore, it is that good. And it is so much cheaper than buying it. I use the recipe for one pound of hamburger.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-I/Detail.aspx
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi,

I prefer the soft shells...cooked ground chicken (assorted seasoning for taste, just a pinch), cucumber, tomato, low fat shredded cheddar cheese, and guacamole dip (Mission Brand)

B
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    As for the taco seasoning, off the top of my head, I am thinking some cumin, chipotle chili powder, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, ...you can also check the ingredients on the package of taco seasoning and go from there. And don't forget to add some avocado for some good fat...soooo good with tacos. Enjoy!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Check my blog - great taco recipe in the April 2010 archive
  • swopeswick
    swopeswick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wife and I make these all the time and they are fantastic and very healthy, even with the corn tortillas. We take boneless, skinless chicken breast and ground it up in a food processor (after trimming the fat, of course). Cook it in a skillet with a tablespoon of EVOO and sprinkle adobo seasoning (and lots of cayenne pepper if you like it spicy, which we do). Now, just put some in the heated taco shells and add chopped lettuce, tomato, fat free sour cream, and a little bit of shredded cheese (I also put black olives, green onion, and jalapenos on mine) and you are good to go.
    They are great with a side of black beans... I know the canned have a lot of sodium, but they are easy (just heat in teh microwave for a minute or 2) and very good for you.
  • pamxh
    pamxh Posts: 1
    Options
    My taste preference is to still use ground beef. If you use lean beef, the calories and fat are about the same as ground turkey. Another trick is to rinse the meat before adding the seasonings. Good luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I like doing corn tortilla, baked shrimp, some avocado, onions, tomatoes, reduced fat sour cream. Without sour cream, throw them in the oven on 350 for 15 minutes for a nice CRUNCH.
  • hymiesmom
    hymiesmom Posts: 76
    Options
    I use ground turkey with taco seasoning and all the fixin's (light on the cheese); and wrap it all up in a piece of lettuce. It is satisfying and refreshing! You get the flavor of the taco but not the bulf of a tortilla. Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I slice chix breast in wee strips & quick cook in a skillet with taco seasoning + a little water. Then make tacos,,, heavy on the L&T, a little cheez, some refrieds. They're not that bad.

I do make one huge one, loaded down with goodies, so I only eat the one shell. As others have said, the tortilla is the killer.
  • TonyaR
    TonyaR Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I make my own seasoning...i use about a tablespoon each of chili powder and cumin. You can add in about a teaspoon of minced garlic too, the kind you buy in the jars!
  • SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has a taco recipe you could try. You can find it here http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=2000
  • martindb5
    martindb5 Posts: 2
    Options
    I make tacos frequently (sometimes too frequently for my families likeing :laugh: . Some suggestions
    - Corn tortillas - better for you and more authentic
    - Veggie tacos, saute onion and garlic, add mushrooms and zucchinis, a little chicken or veg stock and chipotle to taste (1.5 for me, .5 if my wife is going to share!) Let it cook down until thickened. This is good quick meal.
    -I make Mexican rice with using brown rice - not as good as with white rice but I feel better for it
    -As far as spices go I generally add spices that begin with "C". Chilli, Cayenne, Cumin, Coriander. Not always all of them. Just play with it until you get it as spicy as you like. Go easy on the Cumin or that is all you will taste.
    -don't forget a squeeze of fresh lime. zero calories but it really adds some flavour.
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm actually going to the market after the gym to buy the stuff and make them myself. I'm thinking Ill get Corn torillas instead of reg ones. Im not sure about the taco seasoning though. I'd rather make my own but I have no idea what to put in it??

chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano and paprika.