First 5K?

Options
Is anybody else out there training for their first 5K? I'm just starting... planning on doing it in April with some friends. I'm a little (OK a lot) nervous that I won't be able to keep up! Right now, I'm walking 3 miles, 3 times per week. I haven't added in any running yet.

Replies

• runningforlife68
    Options
    Don't be nervous. You have plenty of time and you already walk the distance. Add a little run here and a little there and you will do awesome.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I started doings 5 Ks a few years ago. I also started with some friends at the gym, and went between walking and running for short bursts until I was able to run the majority of a 5 k without having to take a walk break.

There are some great training plans online if you want to check them out. If you are training outdoors, remember the weather can make a difference in how fast you can run. Hot weather, as well as cold weather slows most people down because it puts added stress on your body.

When you do run your first 5k, remember that it's fine to take walk breaks if you need to!
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good advice..and I agree.. .you'll do fine. Its entirely possible to walk the entire 5K.

If you want to add running in, you could just do your own run/walk intervals (like maybe run 1 min, walk 5 etc) or use the couch to 5K program which uses those type of intervals and gradually extends the running time.

Congrats on your 5K..watch out, they can be addicting! :)
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I recently started training for my first 5K race (also my first race of any kind), which is also in April. The C25K program is pretty good for working your way up to running for the full 5K. It's an 8 week program so you have time to get through it before your big day.