I'm almost 40
I have an underactive thyroid
I have asthma
I have circulatory issues
I have a bum tendon in my arm
I had my achilles repaired
I HATE running
I have 2 kids
I have a full time job (though it is less hectic than the 8 years i spent as a stay at home mom)
I lead 2 youth groups at church
My husband spends hours marathon training
I'm short so my BMR is 1150 (this sucks)
I'm not very athletic
I have poor body image and worry that people are judging me

This is all true, and...

Yes I am tired
Yes it is hard
Yes it is frustrating when it seems so easy for others (this is likely just perception, it was probably hard for them too)
Yes some of these things do make it harder than it should be

But...

None of them stop me from making progress.
I make goals, and I hit them (eventually)

So...

No more excuses. Give yourself permission to be imperfect, but buck up, and choose to be better.

Replies

• skinnyiverson
    Options
    I like this :smile: Thanks for posting something motivating!
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options
    This post has reminded of this guy I saw bicycling on the Saw Mill River bike trail last summer. He was a double amputee and was missing both legs from the knees down. He had prosthetics legs and was bicycling up the trail with a bigger smile on his face than anyone i saw on the whole damn trail.
    I thought to myself: "Wow, this man is some sight. This man is incredible.” I started to reach for my camera to get a picture of him, but sometimes I am shy and missed out on getting the shot. I hesitated because I didn't dare ask him to slow down for me to capture a picture of him. I did nod and wave and smile along with him as he passed and enjoyed that moment with him. And, the image of this man being able to embrace life despite his adversity and still be able to take on his challenge with this great and joyful spirit was captured in my mind forever.
    We all have challenges. I don't mean to diminish anyone's adversity by telling this story. But I do say that one can overcome a lot of adversity with the right attitude and determination.
    The human spirit is incredibly resilient. Although we may be helpless more often than we like in determining whether some tragic ill-fate will befall us, we can always determine the spirit with which we will meet the challenge. And to meet adversity with an optimistic and positive spirit is genuinely what determines our strength of character and how free we are to enjoy life with a joyful and triumphant soul.
    Our nadirs are but a momentary pause in our one and only journey through life which was meant to be enjoyed safely and soundly without harm to ourselves or others.

Get out there and do it.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    A wife who's rarely home, leaving me to take care of the house.
    A 10 year old.
    An 8 year old.
    Another 8 year old.
    Asthma.
    A groin injury that I've had for years and won't go completely away.
    A knee that has hurt since the mid 90's.
    A left rib muscle that was pretty much ripped off the bone last year, and STILL hurts like the devil sometimes.
    Too much weight around my belly.
    I'm way too sleepy when my 4:40AM alarm goes off.
    A bike that's WAY more talented than I am (Thus making me look like a wanna be while I'm riding it. Heckle heckle!).
    A distinct lack of athletic self confidence.
    Athletic friends who just don't understand what it's like to be overweight and undertalented.

With that said:
    The best excuses are the ones that I can say, "And not even THAT stopped me!".

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for a nice long run. Get the Aleve out. I'll need some when I'm done. Darn knee's acting up again...
  • stephcampbell77
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post!
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I remember one time I was hiking a mountain with some friends and I was going so slow and kept using excuses as reasons to why we should stop and go slower (I was too heavy, lazy and out of shape. We were going at a normal pace). When this girl came up behind us with crutches and I saw she had one leg and was hiking that mountain like it ain't no thang. Infact she killed that mountain and was coming down before we even got to the top. When I think of excuses to why I shouldn't do something, I always think of her and how if she can conquer that with one leg, I need to get off my lazy *kitten* and conquer things too.
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!! Love the attitude!
  • x_pix_x
    x_pix_x Posts: 21
    Options
    Love it, although I do HATE running, so basically I don't run but that doesn't mean I don't exercise, I just do other things instead :)
  • Por2gueseMama
    Por2gueseMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    22 year old single parents
    poly cystic ovarian syndrom
    work in hectic docs office 7:30 to 5:30 monday thru friday. twice a month I work a second job at a nursing home on saturdays
    i have a lot of stress in my life
    financially not all that stabble due to being a single parent and having to do mostly everything on my own
    I have insomnia
    I have anxiety
    I hate myself most days but i am getting better
    But I can feel myself pushing more and more each day into becoming the person I am ment to be. Ive used the excuses I am too tired to workout and do active things with my son but slowly but surely they are going away :)
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 30s
    I'm married (having a healthy marriage takes time and effort, life isn't a fairy tale)
    I have a 9yo daughter
    I work full time
    My work schedule varies, so it's hard to set a daily schedule
    I'm a Girl Scout leader, which takes time, plus: cookies
    I have low back pain
    I have a toe that goes numb when I'm on it for more than 10 minutes or so
    I have a bad body image and I'm usually uncertain about myself
    We live paycheck to paycheck, so healthy food and gym memberships are hard to come by
    I hate running
    I'm a natural couch potato
    I love to read... and snack while I read
    My favorite foods are pizza and pasta
    I hate almost all vegetables

BUT:
    I've lost 53 pounds
    I work out at least 5 times a week
    I watch my calories
    I believe I can do this, so I AM doing it!

Everyone has excuses.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    < ---- Thread killer.