What do you take to work for lunch?

Options
UrbanLotus
UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
Hi everyone, for those eating around 1200 calories, what do you take to work for lunch? i'm pretty busy so for the 3 weeks I've been on MFP, I've take a Lean Cuisine meal, plus some fruit or veggies on the side. Obviously this isn't the best thing - what do you all take? Aside from sandwiches...I'd like to take some lower calories stuff as I prefer to have a bigger meal at dinner, so maybe keep it around 300-400 calories.

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Homemade soup, sides of veggies, fruit and yogurt.
  • Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I eat a can of albacore tuna with light mayo, relish and mustard with Nut Thins pecan crackers. Very high in protein so you remain full for a few hours. I also make homemade protein bars that I eat for snacks during the day and some fruit maybe.
  • unknownsample
    Options
    Is taking stuff required for budget reasons? I've been getting a Subway footlong, eating half of it at noon, half of it at 4, having a can of tuna when I get home at 7-8, then making it through the rest of the day by snacking. Admittedly just started, but so far so good.
  • oleskyjan
    Options
    Mostly take progresso light soup, vegetables and fruit,
    At least for the winter time.
    Not sure what the plans will be for later in the warmer weather.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Try baked chicken or fish and veggies, lean cuisines are a treat because they are high in sodium
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    salad greens, and chicken breasts? its lots of volume.
  • samlankford
    Options
    salad, greek yogurt, milk, cottage cheese, low sodium v8, unsalted nuts, berries, grapefruit, apples, "kind" granola bars, quest protein bars, protein drinks, grilled meat, raisins... have to mix it up, otherwise it gets BORING!!!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Today was a bad day but for a snack I had one hard boiled eggs and orange.
    Lunch was a store bought salad with cheese/bacon/chicken and Cesar dressing.
    After lunch I'm having a can of Campbells veggie soup.
    :)
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Today I had leftover salmon and cut up veggies with light ranch. Have cottage cheese for later.

Whole wheat pita chips and hummus, not the healthiest but very filling to me.

I ususally just switch it up every week, but it varies between turkey sandwhiches, salads (usually with feta and chicken), leftovers, or tapas style lunch (crackers and cheese, veggies, fruit etc).
  • amyford25
    amyford25 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have to switch it up as well, but my go-to lunch is the Taylor Farms veggie tray. It has broccoli, carrots, almonds, cheese and a little ranch for about 370 cals. Love it!
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    lean meat veggie soups, cheap and easy and i make mine around 10 servings for about $5
  • lem_orc29
    lem_orc29 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For a long time, i would do two or three tablespoons of hummus and a huge bag of chopped veggies for lunch. It's really amazing how quickly it filled me up!

I did get kind of bored with the same thing day in and day out, so I started mixing it up a little. Lately, I've been doing a 2oz chicken breast, 1/2 cup Uncle Ben's rice, and two servings of some kind of vegetable. Usually ends up being around 250 calories. I really like to roast my own baby carrots...but if I'm strapped for time, I'll just do the steamable frozen veggies.
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I really mix mine up.

Either wraps, sandwiches, rolls, yoghurt and fruit, stir fry from the night before, pasta from the night before etc

Tommorrow im taking a chicken stir fry i had tonight. it was delicious and huge for about 500 cals
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I eat anything I want. If I plan to eat out during lunch, I have a lighter dinner and breakfast. If I bring my lunch from home it's normally very healthy (calories calculated already, generally 300 calories or less).

Typical Foods: Tuna sandwich, Taco Bell Tacos without cheese, Steak and Cheese sandwich, Fruit, Yogurt (plain, nonfat), Kashi Cookies (very filling & 130 calories), Nuts (pistachio, almonds), Vegetables steamed or stewed with lamb or beef.
  • rodafer
    rodafer Posts: 63
    Options
    Today I mixed a small packet of tuna, a handful of fresh spinach and a pickle to roll up in a flat-out wrap. I also brought baby carrots and a string cheese. Sometimes I use fat free miracle whip to mix with the tuna.
  • slywon
    slywon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Baby Spinach (2 cups)
    Red Onion
    Slivered Almonds (1 Tbsp)
    Dried Cranberries (1 Tbsp)
    Raspberry Vinagrette (1 Tbsp)

This is a yummy salad. With it I would have soup of some kind that is usually under 250 cals. for 2 cups. I also have 3 cups of water. Stuffed full when done.
  • Angel37615
    Angel37615 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly... I work in a kitchen...so eating is easy and dieting is hard. I found a nice meal of a grilled chicken breast, steamed veggies and skim milk comes in under 300 cals and fills me up. Also Oscar Meyer has 98% fat free bologna, (25cals) weight watchers 2% cheese (40 cals) and Nature's Own has 9 grain bread with 40 cals per slice, makes a nice 150 cal bologna sandwich!
    :)
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Progresso light soups (or better yet, homemade soups) are great...hooray for the office microwave! Today I had a homemade soup with beans, kale and peas and 3 ounces of leftover chicken from last evening. It has lasted until 3:30pm and now I'm snacking on yogurt and a piece of fruit. the 3:30-4:30pm hour is a killer for me.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    usually a lean cuisine! I think they are pretty tasty and very convenient! Sometimes I'll have a piece of fruit or a salad with it.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    For 392 calories I have a hot turkey and Swiss sandwich on whole grain ciabata bread with spinach and a side of raw carrots. I keep all the ingredients in the office fridge and I heat it in the toaster oven. Nothing wrong with sandwiches.