PMS weight gain....is this normal????? Discouraged...

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've been on this journey for about 3 wks now...was doing SO well. Had lost about 5 pounds, but was up 2.5 lbs this morning. Am due for monthly visitor tomorrow. Is it possible to really gain this much weight before my cycle?

I am so discouraged. I just walked 4 1/2 miles and am having a protein shake and my mood is somewhat better. But at this pace, it will take me forever to get to my goal. ARRGGGHHH.

Anyone else going through this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Laurie in Pa

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Please completely disregard your weight right before your monthly visitor. In fact, don't even weigh then. Wait until 3 or so days after to weigh. Yes, you can gain anywhere from 1 - 6 or 8 lbs due to water retention during that time. And the hormone flectuations will cause you to go more nuts over this than you need to. It will go away - I promise. Just pretend you never saw that number and weigh again Saturday a.m.

Yes, it takes a long time to lose the weight. But then you are very unlikely to regain it. Would rather take a long journey and stay there then lose it blazingly fast and regain it just as quick!!

Suggestion - take a deep breath and relax a little! :flowerforyou:
  • twocats
    twocats Posts: 31
    Options
    Ok, (takes deep breath and tries to chill out realizing hormones are raging today).

thanks for your support. Up to 8lbs - really? If it had been that much, don't know what I would have done!

Will not get on evil scale until Saturday :)
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    Hey there Twocats ... You bet you can gain at that time. I'm one of those crazy chicks who jumps on the scale every morning and that's how I know my monthly is due ... the scale will jump up 4 or 5 lbs. Never fails ... but once things start "flowing" it rights itself again. I've learned to expect it. Congratulations on your loss so far ... it's obvious your efforts are working.:flowerforyou:
  • oddgirl32
    oddgirl32 Posts: 3
    Options
    I can confirm that - when getting fitted for a brides maid dress, the tailor mentioned that there could be up to 10 pounds in certain women. Don't get discouraged - just think how quickly the weight will go away afterward! :smile:

Best of luck!
  • scplummer
    scplummer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Girlfriend, this happens to me every month! Thankfully it comes right back off afterwards.

165415.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    :noway: Can you believe that even after a total hysterectomy that I STILL see weight gain around that TOM? Crazy, I know, but that's the only way to explain the fluctuations!!

Don't worry. I agree with the others. Don't weigh now. Just wait. Promise you will drop that as soon as TOM leaves.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Ok, (takes deep breath and tries to chill out realizing hormones are raging today).

thanks for your support. Up to 8lbs - really? If it had been that much, don't know what I would have done!

Will not get on evil scale until Saturday :)

Yes - that little scale is :devil: . Especially around "that time" :flowerforyou:
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    :mad: It doesn't even have to be that particular time of the month ... the scale can really fluctuate day to day based on a lot of factors. I was discouraged last Thursday when I jumped on the scale a couple of days earlier than my normal weekly weigh-in day - because my clothes were feeling loser and I was excited to see a weight loss ... to my surprise I was up 4 POUNDS! Two days later I weighed again on my normal weigh-in day and I was back to where I was before. WHO KNOWS! And it was an official type of scale at the YMCA so I think it is probably fairly accurate, and not due to putting the scale on carpeting or other something like that.
    That is why taking measurements is a much better judge of progress, but I'm not very good at doing that - I just keep using the scale and trying not to let it get me down when there are temporary gains. The nice thing about a temporary water weight type of gain is that you will hopefully see a huge loss next time! Congrats on your progress so far and good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I feel your disappointment... I gained back 4 lbs this AM I too am suppose to start tomarrow and am not very happy at this moment. I just wish it would get here and go away.:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • Kanderson47
    Kanderson47 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love you people...........:happy:
  • twocats
    twocats Posts: 31
    Options
    I love you all! I've never been able to stay motivated at eating healthy or exercising for more than 2 or 3 days before - but since coming to MFP, I've stayed on track.

Hearing that others are struggling with same issues and can validate you is just so valuable.

(wipes away tears of joy as hormones violently course through body.....) :)
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Me too. I gain 5 pounds like clock work so as an earlier poster suggested I just avoid the scale until a week after TOM leaves. Stick to your plan and be sure to drink extra water.:heart:
  • jmuniz00
    jmuniz00 Posts: 9
    Options
    OMG...I'm dealing with the same thing right now!! It's so frustrating :explode: . I have been on this for only 3 weeks and was steady losing a pound a week. Yesterday, though, I weighed myself and saw no change. I wanted to cry. Thank you for posting this, though. I definitely feel a lil relieved. I'll wait til it's over 2 re-weigh myself.

Good luck 2 u! :wink:
  • lambriek
    lambriek Posts: 5
    Options
    Imagine how much better you will feel when your period is over and the scale goes plummeting down again!

210285.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Imagine how much better you will feel when your period is over and the scale goes plummeting down again!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
  • Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Options
    God I am glad I am not the only one!!! Thanks ladies!:flowerforyou:
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I gain 5 lbs pretty consistently at my TOM. I have heard that increasing your water intake may help to reduce the amount of fluids your body retains. I didn't seem to help me but more water couldn't hurt, right?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I was up nearly 7 pounds between sodium related water retention & TOM related water retention this Monday. It stuck around for yesterday morning, too. Then during the day yesterday I peed my life away and this morning I was down 4 pounds from Monday/Tuesday. 3 more to go to get back to last Friday's weight. :laugh: I have no doubt that by the time TOM is over, I'll be under last Friday's weight as long as I keep my sodium intake in check.

Your weight can pretty normally vary as much as 10 pounds from day to day. That being said, you can lose a couple pounds just from slight dehydration as well. You can't let a normal daily fluctuation discourage you. If you do, you're simply never going to make it.
  • simplykim419
    simplykim419 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with this also. This is only my second week. The first week I only saw a .8 pound loss, that was with eating healthy, doing more exercise than I had done for a long time and only .8 pounds. I was so frustrated. Today I started and thought why not, stepped on the scale and it shows another pound loss but I will not record anything until my official weigh day. So hang in there and take it one week at a time.
  • Lparault
    Lparault Posts: 100
    Options
    Simplykim419,

I have always had a hard time losing weight. This time I've tried eating within one hour of waking and eating every three hours throughout the day. I have a snack 3 hours after breakfast, lunch three hours after that, another snack three hours later and then supper. I try very hard not to eat after 7 pm. My weight loss this time has been more, shall we say, encouraging! Why not give that a try? Can't hurt, might help.