FitBit ONE or BodyMedia LINK

Options
I really like the idea of the FLEX by FitBit coming out sometime this Spring, but I'm really interested in these monitors. I like that it calculates your sleep habits too. Something I'm trying to work on.

Didn't know if anyone of you MFPers had these and can share their experiences, pros and cons, and if they would buy there monitor again. Coming to the best experts I know for help!!

Thanks!!

Replies

• Steph13RN
    Steph13RN Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any thoughts?? Just bumping this up~
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    BMF is supposed to be much more accurate but some people find it annoying wearing it on the arm- fitbit is more discrete. Lots of people use fitbit for daily activity and HRM for cardio exercise.

If you do searches you will find lots of info on both. The BMF core 2 is coming out soon and also look at the new Amiigo.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, and I love it! I've been with fitbit since they started; they are a great company and they really care about their customers. I like their products because they can be hidden. I wear mine on my bra as do most other women; my dad wears it on his undershirt. I like being able to track my workouts and track my sleep. It's been really helpful for finding out what works in terms of making me sleep better. Also, when I had one that didn't work well they were really responsive. They had me answer some questions and troubleshoot and when they figured out it was the tracker that was faulty they sent me a replacement for free (and I've heard stories about them doing this with other people too). There's a great community on the fitbit website too. The thing I like about MFP is that it has a bigger/more inclusive food database, but since they sync with eachother I track calories burned on fitbit and food on MFP.

I've never had a BodyMedia, but I don't like the idea of having to wear it on my arm. I, personally, would never get one for that reason, but that's just me. :-)
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media Fit and the Fitbit Zip. I find the Body Media to be more accurate so I use that to determine how many calories to consume. I use the Fitbit to track my mileage. It is more expensive and requires a monthly subscription fee, but I think it is worth it. I wear mine tucked into the side band of my bra instead of on my arm while at work or when I go out.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I have the Body Media Fit and the Fitbit Zip. I find the Body Media to be more accurate so I use that to determine how many calories to consume. I use the Fitbit to track my mileage. It is more expensive and requires a monthly subscription fee, but I think it is worth it. I wear mine tucked into the side band of my bra instead of on my arm while at work or when I go out.

I'm not sure how accurate it is if you do that!!
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've got a Fitbit Ultra that I've had for over 12 months now. It's a fantastic piece of kit and I wouldn't be without it.
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like my bodymedia..and think its pretty accurate.
    As for wearing it on the arm... I don't even notice it anymore!

That said I think the fitbit seems like a nice device too.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how accurate it is if you do that!!

Actually there isn't a noticeable difference in wearing it that way. I wore it on my arm when I first got it then saw other people saying that they wore it in their bra and that the readings were virtually the same so I decided to try it myself. I'm losing weight basing my consumption of my readings so it works for me.
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    I use a fitbit one and so far I think it was worth the investment.

It shows me that on a weekday I burn 2700cals vs the 2500 MFP suggested I did, but on a weekend day I tend to only burn 2400.

I override it's calorie suggestion for the time period that I am on my elliptical as I don't believe it can know about resistance etc but I let it keep its distance and step count for it.

I can sleep no problem with the wristband on, however sometimes although I press and hold the button to put it in "I'm sleeping or at least intending to mode" in the morning the website often reports I haven't logged any sleep. At which point I manually tell it when I went to bed (I make a mental note of the time when I press the button on the fitbit) and what time I got up and it then does it's calcs. I thought I only woke up about once per night if that but it shows about 8 times so...
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media LINK and I love it. I find it pretty accurate as long as your settings are correct and I barely notice it on my arm after having it for a week with the exception of when I lean on it during exercise (I sometimes keep it at an odd angle that makes this happen) or when it catches on clothes that I am putting on or taking off. I forget it's there so I forget to pull my clothes over it lol.

The syncing on it is really easy too, it's bluetooth capable so it can like to your phone app and to your computer wirelessly!

Only downside is there is a monthly membership fee but it is pretty smale, 7.99/mo. Or if you buy a year it is 5.99/mo or two years at 4.99/mo which really for what it does and the fact that it links to MFP I think it is worth it :)

Good luck selecting!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I really like the idea of the FLEX by FitBit coming out sometime this Spring, but I'm really interested in these monitors. I like that it calculates your sleep habits too. Something I'm trying to work on.

Didn't know if anyone of you MFPers had these and can share their experiences, pros and cons, and if they would buy there monitor again. Coming to the best experts I know for help!!

Thanks!!

Just checking where you live. The two new BMF can't be used in the UK.
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Do you have to pay for a fitbit monthly subscription?
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Do you have to pay for a fitbit monthly subscription?
    No. You do for BMF but its pretty cheap.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I posted this as a new thread a couple of days ago but received no responses. I will repost it as a reply to this post:

I have recently started to use the BodymediaFit LINK. I got what I felt was a good deal thru Costco (LINK armband including 12 mos subscription for $119.99) I tried a Fitbit but found some things frustrating (1. seemed to be affected by "atmospheric pressure" and would credit me with stairs that did not exist 2. was too sensitive to "bumps and movement" in the car and would credit steps while driving or sitting in car as a passenger 3. kept coming out of the wristband at night so never got an accurate sleep log. 4. perhaps I am slightly OCD but I couldn't resist constant checking to see my "flower" or steps--drove me crazy) First of all I agree the BodymediaFit is not very attractive. It looks kind of "medical." However according to BMF: " Our armbands are registered medical device and are regulated by the FDA." I thought that was interesting. However in late summer or fall BMF is coming out with a new CORE2 which is going to be more fashion conscious; plus will have a HRM that can be added. I will be seriously interested in this.) It syncs well with MFP. I don't like that you have to pay for the Activity Tracker but the money is used for app development and improvement in the product. The subscription is not unreasonable and they have options to cut the cost (prepay for a longer period and the $/Mo. goes down.) I do like the site. I also like the bluetooth link to both my phone and my tablet. The customer support has been terrific. I have contacted them by both phone and email and their response has been prompt, courteous, informed and helpful. The one major problem that I have had is that it was not picking up my sleep activity. However I sleep semi-sitting (several pillows. This is a result of me being so fat I had problems lying flat. Now I am used to it. I have considered gradually eliminating pillows so I will actually lie flat now that I am not so fat.) It occurred to me that maybe it needed to be in a more horizontal position to "know" I was lying down and perhaps was too vertical on my arm. So at night I switch it to my left calf and now it seems to be recording very accurately. (I find the calf position more comfortable anyway and gives my arm a rest.) The numbers it provides also seem accurate for me but I have only been wearing it a short time. I hope as I continue to approach goal it is going to help me more accurately judge how many calories I can eat to maintain a balance. Last thought: Why is there a Fitbit Forum but not a BMF Forum?

Here is a post on information about the upcoming CORE2

This is a report on the upcoming Core2 from Bodymedia Fit by The Verge

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/6/3843688/bodymedia-core-2-hands-on

I thought this was of interest, too:

“It has all the same sensors, the same analytics, the same validation and levels of accuracy,” CEO Christine Robins told MobiHealthNews.

The device will also add a fifth sensor as an optional add-on: a continuous heart-rate monitor. Rather than using an optical sensor like the Basis Band, the heart rate sensor will use dry electrodes embedded in the band.

The Core 2 also sports Bluetooth Smart connectivity, whereas previous models synced via a USB cable. This allows BodyMedia data to be uploaded to BodyMedia’s smartphone apps in realtime. This new BlueTooth technology also requires less power than previous Bluetooth offerings, the company said in a statement.

Robins told MobiHealthNews that unlike the armband currently on the market, which is merely water-resistant, the Core 2 will be fully waterproof: it can even be worn while swimming.

(taken from the following article
    http://mobihealthnews.com/19741/bodymedia-unveils-fashionable-armband-disposable-patch-still-to-come/ )

and here is one more article if you like to read:

http://gizmodo.com/5973460/bodymedias-fitness-tracker-pretties-itself-up

and another with lots of pictures

http://www.slashgear.com/bodymedia-core-2-hands-on-06263400/

and last (I promise) this link is to BodymediaFit website press releases where there are a lot of interesting articles you might choose to read. I found for all the links that I provided that copying and pasting worked when I tested.

http://www.bodymedia.com/About-Us/Press-Releases
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have been very happy with the Fitbit One (had it two weeks). I thought about waiting for the Fitbit Flex, but now I am glad that I didn't. I like the fact that the One is more discreet.

For me, the One is doing what I want it to, motivating me to walk, climb stairs, etc.
  • Steph13RN
    Steph13RN Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for all the replies!! That's why I always ask here, b/c I like the people who have tried it out and can relate to why I want to use it. I've read millions of reviews, but like to hear from the people I closely relate with!

I still have some decisions to make ... I like the thought of the watch version (FitBit Flex) but also want to read up some more on the MF Core2. Very interesting. Thanks again!!