Loose skin, extra "Rolls" and other worrisome oddities...

Options
Hello everyone =)

Okay, I have been freaking out about a few things, and before I get too carried away with worry, I was hoping to find a bit of support, answers or hear some feedback on a few "Issues" I'm having/noticing with weight loss.... I guess I may be looking for some confirmation that what I'm going through may be normal and there is nothing to worry about yet...

I started dieting here at 293 lbs, and at the moment have gotten down to 273-275lbs, so close to 20lbs lost, and have also lost 4 inches off my waist.... I've been taking it slow, aiming at 1-2 lbs per week, and have been exercising as much as I'm physically able.... (between 2500-5000 cals burned per week)

I imagined losing weight would result in "Firming up" a bit, in other words actually losing the rolls of fat I may have gained , little at a time.... however, until I actually took my measurements a second time, I really thought I was getting *bigger* ! Because despite my slow and steady weight loss, and constant excercise, I was somehow *gaining* rolls, and existing ones were becoming ...... "More defined" o.O; When an extra "Roll" appeared on my inner thighs, I completely freaked out... I wondered "What am I doing wrong? Am I getting bigger? Is this that dreaded 'loose skin' issue that will only get worse over time?" I thought the loose skin issue, was for those way above the 300lb mark, and who would lose a large amount of weight, rapidly , without exercise... at just a couple of months in, and only 20lbs lost, slowly with exercise, how could this be happening I wondered?

So yes, I have been freaking out a bit too much, I've never been much on vanity or appearance before, but I'm somehow really disturbed by these extra, or more defined rolls that are starting to appear.....

Can someone tell me if this is normal, whether or not it's attributed to "loose skin" or perhaps since I have been losing inches off my waist line, maybe I'm just losing weight in odd spots between the rolls, and the rest of me just needs to catch up? maybe though I'm exercising I'm not working all the areas just right?

Shouldn't slow weight loss and exercise have prevented this? or is weight loss not as smooth a transition as I expected? Will this go away? At one point do I start becoming concerned? I've only just gotten started in fitness and exercise recently, so don't know very much, and have been mostly relying on workout videos, walking, and dance games to burn the calories, is this where target exercises come in? should I be aiming for exercises to target those trouble spots and will that help?

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thank you....

Replies

• alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I would say, stay on course and worry more when you are under 200. At this point your body would have changed many times over.. It's too soon to see the final product. Dont let it sidetrack you!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Don't panic!

When I first started exercising, my measurements - particularly my limbs - increased for a while. I can only think that it was down to muscle growth paired with not losing body fat quickly enough: so basically my muscles were pushing the fat out.

For me, the real 'firming up' stage has only really happened over the past year or so as I've got within spitting distance of my goal weight (140lb). I still had loose skin and little bits of excess until I started regular strength training, which shifted most of them.

Try not to worry - it's a long and gradual journey and it seems like you're losing at a healthy pace. The body moves in mysterious ways :)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Just get to a healthy weight and body fat percentage for your age, height, and build, and then see what happens with your rolls and skin. You look pretty young, which is in your favour--younger skin tends to have more elasticity and will often shrink back into place easier than the skin of older people. That said, tere are all sorts of variables and nobody can really answer this question for you in a definitive way. Best to just lose the fat, build muscle (I think that's really important--focus on building lean body mass) and see what happens a year or two after you're at your goal weight/bodyfat percentage.
  • StaceyBear87
    Options
    I am having the same thing! I started at 278 and am down to 254 and now have a mini roll under
    My breasts. So I have 3 rolls there now! I don't know if I've lost any inches but I'm disturbed
    By this!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Exercise firms muscles. It doesn't firm your skin. You are young so your skin is pretty elastic. As you lose weight your skin will probably shrink some, but it will take time. You may be left with some extra skin. There are ways to address that. Meanwhile: Spanx!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone =)

Okay, I have been freaking out about a few things, and before I get too carried away with worry, I was hoping to find a bit of support, answers or hear some feedback on a few "Issues" I'm having/noticing with weight loss.... I guess I may be looking for some confirmation that what I'm going through may be normal and there is nothing to worry about yet...

I started dieting here at 293 lbs, and at the moment have gotten down to 273-275lbs, so close to 20lbs lost, and have also lost 4 inches off my waist.... I've been taking it slow, aiming at 1-2 lbs per week, and have been exercising as much as I'm physically able.... (between 2500-5000 cals burned per week)

I imagined losing weight would result in "Firming up" a bit, in other words actually losing the rolls of fat I may have gained , little at a time.... however, until I actually took my measurements a second time, I really thought I was getting *bigger* ! Because despite my slow and steady weight loss, and constant excercise, I was somehow *gaining* rolls, and existing ones were becoming ...... "More defined" o.O; When an extra "Roll" appeared on my inner thighs, I completely freaked out... I wondered "What am I doing wrong? Am I getting bigger? Is this that dreaded 'loose skin' issue that will only get worse over time?" I thought the loose skin issue, was for those way above the 300lb mark, and who would lose a large amount of weight, rapidly , without exercise... at just a couple of months in, and only 20lbs lost, slowly with exercise, how could this be happening I wondered?

So yes, I have been freaking out a bit too much, I've never been much on vanity or appearance before, but I'm somehow really disturbed by these extra, or more defined rolls that are starting to appear.....

Can someone tell me if this is normal, whether or not it's attributed to "loose skin" or perhaps since I have been losing inches off my waist line, maybe I'm just losing weight in odd spots between the rolls, and the rest of me just needs to catch up? maybe though I'm exercising I'm not working all the areas just right?

Shouldn't slow weight loss and exercise have prevented this? or is weight loss not as smooth a transition as I expected? Will this go away? At one point do I start becoming concerned? I've only just gotten started in fitness and exercise recently, so don't know very much, and have been mostly relying on workout videos, walking, and dance games to burn the calories, is this where target exercises come in? should I be aiming for exercises to target those trouble spots and will that help?

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thank you....

I think it IS a matter of losing in some places and not in others. Your body is going to change SO much as you get closer to your goal weight.

You might have an extra roll this month, but in 2 months you might have 1 fewer. I still have a belly pooch, and love handles...but I also have bicep and hamstring definition!

I have a belly...but I have skinny girl hips and legs.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    This may seem odd (and maybe I don't understand what you're saying), but the extra rolls may be because you're getting smaller. This is kind of gross, but as I have lost weight, the fat has gotten softer and more pliable (I guess that's how I'd describe it), and because it's not as firm (or dense I guess), it sits and moves differently (meaning rolls and bends and creases in places where there weren't previously rolls bends or creases). Over time, it has evened out and the location of these rolls, bends and creases have continued to move and change. Don't know if that makes sense, but keep taking measurements-like a lot of them-in a lot of places (I measure my thighs in 3 separate places). Go by that-not the count of rolls-you fat changes and how it sits in your body does as well. That's where the rolls and bends and creases and wrinkles come from.

Also loose skin is like your eyelid or the back of your hand. It's something you can "pick up" without grabbing fat underneath. Anecdotally, it seems to make an appearance around 60-80 lbs lost and above. Age, genetics, skin elasticity, age, etc are factors in determining if you will get loose skin and/or if it will "snap" back.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Strength training and patience are the only things that helped me. Don't freak out about it. There will be many bizarre changes along the way, but if you just keep at it, it all evens out.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    This may seem odd (and maybe I don't understand what you're saying), but the extra rolls may be because you're getting smaller. This is kind of gross, but as I have lost weight, the fat has gotten softer and more pliable (I guess that's how I'd describe it), and because it's not as firm (or dense I guess), it sits and moves differently (meaning rolls and bends and creases in places where there weren't previously rolls bends or creases). Over time, it has evened out and the location of these rolls, bends and creases have continued to move and change. Don't know if that makes sense, but keep taking measurements-like a lot of them-in a lot of places (I measure my thighs in 3 separate places). Go by that-not the count of rolls-you fat changes and how it sits in your body does as well. That's where the rolls and bends and creases and wrinkles come from.

Also loose skin is like your eyelid or the back of your hand. It's something you can "pick up" without grabbing fat underneath. Anecdotally, it seems to make an appearance around 60-80 lbs lost and above. Age, genetics, skin elasticity, age, etc are factors in determining if you will get loose skin and/or if it will "snap" back.
    This^^^ I've been experiencing this recently as I've ramped up my training for a 15K. I hate all the gooey gushy fat, but I'm hopeful that it will straighten itself out. Planning on more strength training once I run the race.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I started taking extra biotin- b complex vitamin- for skin and hair. I'm hoping it will help.a little with the skin issue as I lose weight. It's not a harmful vitamin in amy way so I figured it was worth a shot. I have a long journey ahead so I won't know for a long time whether it will help or not but it's worth a shot.
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • animemoon5
    animemoon5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

This makes absolutely perfect sense to me! lol I was worried about being gross as well, so I kept quiet, but what you described does indeed seem to be happening... and I thank you for mentioning it! I would definitely say my skin has gotten a bit "Pliable" and there are certain areas on my thighs that seem smaller, despite this sudden extra "Roll" , and yes, when I sit, things do indeed "Set" differently, I thought I was getting bigger, but it totally makes sense that it could be the opposite...

I do hope any loose skin I may get will snap back, I've never been much on vanity, the ideas of ever getting wrinkles never bothered me a bit, I don't even bother with makeup or anything like that, but the idea of sagging skin I admit terrifies me!

Thanks everyone so so much again for all of your input! =)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I remember from former weight losses that there always seemed to be a transition where I looked worse rather than better. But it does get better.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I want to add 2 things that I have absolutely no scientific support for and one has already been mentioned.

I have gone from my stomach and thighs being a solid mass to being more jiggly right now. I measure several inches smaller and am thrilled with the progress. As I continue to lose I hope to tone up and that the exercise show through what is now covered in fat! :)

2ndly, I for one will say that before starting this journey I didn't spend ANY time in front of a full-length mirror, nekid and studying myself. Now, I look for progress! LOL So, quite honestly, who knows what I looked like before! :)

Hang in there, You are seeing success and there will be many changes along the way. Embrase them, and celebrat them all because they are necessary to get to the finish line!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I mean this with all encouragement but it may get worse before it gets better :noway: I have lost well over 100 pounds and EVERYTHING is saggy and hanging down - thighs, arms (dont get me started on those), stomach (its soo bad I cant even see my bellybutton), I now even have love handles (I'm not sure how that happened but it did :huh: ). But my back, upper chest, and shoulder area look pretty good - no complaints there. HOWEVER, I am pretty short so loose skin tends to be more exaggerated on a smaller person. Where as taller people tends to hide it better. I also agree with the person who stated that the fat may be more "pliable" and will balance out and even out over time.

Either way I dont think you should worry too much about that and focus on the loss itself. There are several exercises that you can do to tone and strengthen the underlying muscles to limit the saggy appearance of those areas. And worse case there is plastic surgery lol (I know I will need that for my stomach area because that is and will be a disaster lol) but hey I would rather the loose skin then the extra fat any day :bigsmile:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I cant say much to be supportive on here because I've accepted the fact there will be loose skin, but I'm tired of being fat, unable to move, at risk for diabetes, and a potential of permature death because I was shallow enough to be worried about skin. Not that you are and yes its worrisome, but look at the alternative.

Thank God for plastic surgeons!