Favorite Cardio Machine?

Options
Looking to buy a new piece of cardio equipment and already have a treadmill.

So - which is another fav of yours? Why?

Replies

• carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill, and I already have an ellipitical which I actually hate...it is a great calorie burner and really works your legs and butt, but I really find it quite boring. I think I would go with the rowing machine because it is more of an all over workout using different muscle groups.
  • Lantzbug
    Options
    I have 3 favorite machines that I use daily at the gym. The x-ride, which I would describe as an elliptical sitting down, the nu-step which is like a stair stepper sitting down, and the row machine ( really good for the arms). I have bad hips, so these are great.
  • jhealy1191
    jhealy1191 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is my favorite cardio machine after the treadmill. Its a great way to burn some fast calories if you're crunched on time.
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My [non-stationary] bicycle. It saves me money getting to work, I use it to grocery shop and the limited carrying capacity means I don't splurge on unhealthy things like chips, and it's just awesome! Once I get home tonight I will have biked 300 miles this month; pretty good, since it's winter in Chicago :)
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My feet fall asleep on an elliptical. Does this only happen to me?

I'm a runner, so I do own a treadmill but it's frustrating to use one compared to running outdoors so I only use it when I'm desperate and it's -40 out. So it's not my favorite.

I would say I have 2 favorite cardio machines: a spin bike, and a stairmaster.

Spin bikes because I spin at my gym and it's hell on earth. Not sure if you could kick your own butt at home the way a spin coach does. I think they have spinning DVDs that take you through workouts that you could buy to go along with that spin bike.

Stairmasters are horrendous but effective. You're barely walking upstairs, and yet you're sweating your ballz off. Since it really targets the butt and thighs, it's a woman's best friend!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Squat rack :happy:

But seriously, if I have to do cardio, treadmill. The elliptical makes me want to drown myself. I'd rather run.
    In all honesty, I'd rather run outside. They only time I use a machine is if it's too dark or pouring. But sometimes running in the rain is a little fun :smile:
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The ellipitical for me is my favorite, it gives me the ultimate burn each time I use it. I love it :)
  • jeffsweightloss
    jeffsweightloss Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i'll go with the spin bike. i bought one and love it. i've taken some classes...but at home i create my own workouts. i also try to set my tone to the music. you can create any workout you want. it's nice also that you can get in some HIIT on it also. i'll take my spin bike outside when it warms up a lil bit and spin on my back deck. early morning nature..and a nice spin. just depends on what you want...and want to do. they all have their strengths.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do my cardio out doors, but at times it's necessary to bring it inside...when I have to, I tend to do either an elliptical or treadmill. The elliptical also makes my feet fall asleep.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Not that I am really a cardio machine fan, but I do prefer an elliptical trainer... My favorite form of cardio exercise is either Zumba, generic cardio dance, or hip-hop fitness...
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    The treadmill followed by the stationery bike. My least fav is the cross trainer. It is so uncomfortable for me. I think it is cause the arms on the machine are too high up as I am only 5ft 3"
  • That_car_is_full_of_balloons
    Options
    Upright bike
    Arc Trainer

There's an elliptical at my gym that has a very fluid, circular motion unlike the traditional ones that have that herky-jerk motion.
  • cryswimmer
    cryswimmer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have an older NordicTrack. It's the professional model with the rollers, rather than the skiis. I have been especially thrilled with it this week, as it's about the only thing I am able to do. I tore my MCL on the 11th, and anything with impact, twisting, or just about anything else is out. I can't even use an eliptical because I only have about 40 degrees range of motion. Nonetheless, I was able to spend 10 minutes exercising today, and it felt really good. If I don't develop any soreness, I'll increase time gradually. So, if you're dealing with injuries, the NordicTrack may be the way to go.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    My favorite cardio machine is the Stepmill, however, I wouldn't want to own one if something went wrong with it.

That said, I have a spin bike at home. Only piece of cardio equipment I own. Rest of my gym is weightlifting related. :)
  • Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Any other suggestions?
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    My Wife lol.

seriously though, a weighted sled
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Concept2 Model D rower .
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I love the arc trainer.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you want more cardio equipment if you already have a treadmill? I am guessing an elliptical or an exercise bike will be the most popular option after your treadmill.

Have you considered buying some weights instead for balance?? Or do you already have strength equipment?
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    the arc trainer is kinda fun