Am I doing this right?

Options
I've only been on MFP for a week, and wanted to check whether I'm doing it properly. I had my goals calculated with my activity level at moderately active, but I've also been wearing a pedometer and putting in that mileage as exercise - so does that mean that it's being added twice, in effect? Should I change it?

I just reset it from "moderately active" to "sedentary" and changed the weight loss from 1 1/2 lbs to 1, and it comes to about the same number of calories per day, a difference of about 50. So at least I've not been overindulging too much. Would I then eat back the calories I'm burning with exercise?

(Trying to go from 82kg to about 65 - about 180 lbs to around 145. I am fairly active even on work days; I'm a ranger. Today I covered 15 km - nearly 10 miles - just on patrol.)

Replies

• Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm using the calories burned as displayed by my pedometer, ca. 20% less than MFP would give me. No HRM yet.
  • laughinggypsy
    laughinggypsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    DH swears by this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    This might help.

I have the same questions about what is "included" at my listed activity level, so can't help with that one.
  • Zommbunny
    Options
    ONly add exercise that is outwith your normal activity for example i don't add walking when it is a walk i would ahve done everyday anyway...or cleanign etc which i take as part of lifestyle in the first place.
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Thanks, laughinggypsy. I'll look into that link - would make things simpler...

And that makes sense, Zommbunny. The trouble is, my daily routine varies a lot, and I don't even consistently have the same days off, so I think it might be better to change it to "sedentary" and track everything!
  • msalowit
    msalowit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Laughinggypsy's DH here... I'd go with light on the IPORM, and think of light as "office work". If you do PT, track it. If you go out on patrol, track it. Otherwise, consider "light" as maintenance and don't bother tracking it.

HRM's are awesome, I went cheap since I have an iphone and got a wahoo bluetooth strap that linked up with it. Obviously, if you're doing anything where you need to be in em blackout, an HRM is a Bad Idea(TM)... but for the price it's been amazing.

PS.. nice carriage in your icon :)
  • Okapi42
    Options
    Hi, nice to meet the other half! And thanks for the advice. But I think I'll leave it on "sedentary" for the moment - I'd rather be too stingy with my allowance than too generous.

Will have a look for HRMs - if only to get a general idea of energy expended for most activities (I think cycling into town should be about the same every time) and to wear for running. Don't think EM should be a problem.