Crohns and protein supplements

Options
Hello everyone, I have been diagnosed with crohns disease two years ago and I am still learning how to deal with it. So far Things seem rather well, no intense pain just some mild tenderness & occasional cramping and constipation.

I would like to know if anyone on here uses a protein shake/meal replacement instead of solid foods to help deal with it.

Replies

• danvallier
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 3 years ago though having it most of my life. I have been on and off of shakeology. I can't say it has helped much, but I know it doesn't hurt. In the end I'm at a healthy weight (too healthy), got color in my skin and I'm not sick nearly as much as I used to be

I started making frozen shakes over a year ago. I tend to fill them with things I think my body needs more of and isn't digesting well whole. Just this past weekend I bought a blender on steroids that pulverizes anything I put in it making it much easier to create a shake filled with just what you want but your body rejects. I can't say for certain that this nutribullet has helped, it's only been a few days, but I've already had comments at work just about my skin color and it's been 3 days.

If you have a regular blender, I would suggest you experiment with a few foods. I started with frozen fresh fruit and juice mixed with chia seeds, whey protein and virgin coconut oil among other odds and ends. The list of things you can add is endless, you just may want to play around and see if you can find something that you enjoy drinking
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a year ago. I use GNC Soy 95. I also eat coconut or soy milk yogurt, tofu, and tempeh for protein. I am a Gluten Free Vegan, but still am able to get plenty of protein. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't have Crohn's but I have IBS and lose too much weight when I'm in a cycle and I can't eat much. so I supplement by making my own protein smoothies. I can't have whey, so I use an unsweetened complete protein blend (from Sunwarrior) of pea, hemp seed, and cranberry proteins. They also have plain brown rice protein. It's very easy for me to digest and doesn't cause inflammation and all that other stuff. I blend it with almond milk and frozen papayas and bananas. It keeps my bowels happy. :drinker:
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump! I don't have crohn's, but I have IBS and my digestive system is easily irritated I am still trying to figure it out what works for me and doesn't, so this is a helpful thread. Thanks for posting!
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a good girlfriend who has Crohns's and has done well on Shakeology, but she only uses a 1/2 scoop per day and it helps her get in more protein.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had the hardest time when I suffered with ulcerative colitis. I've since had surgery and am much better (although having no colon introduces a whole other set of problems...).

I found that I had to be careful with those shakes. They can be quite the osmotic load and if I had too much at once, it would actually make my colitis worse and increase bathroom visits and misery.

But, I was able to tweak it a little bit and used them occasionally as snacks (partial shakes) instead of full meal replacement, and did much better. It was a good way to get nutrition that I couldn't get from say, a giant salad since that would wreck me for days.

I think this will be a trial and error thing as it was for me. All of us with IBD (inflammatory bowel disease which is characterized by ulcers in the lining of the intestines and elswhere=crohn's and ulcerative colitis, not irritable bowel which is another issue altogether) have to figure out what makes our symptoms better and worse.

Oh, I did use probiotics (still do) and that did seem to help no matter what I was eating.

Good luck!
  • pwicke
    pwicke Posts: 29
    Options
    Don't have crohns, have IBS and 20+ food allergies. I use brown rice (jarrow) and mix kefir (coconut base) and add veggies ( i have to cook them a bit though) and stuff in. Since I can't eat most stuff raw, blending them helps.
  • rukcus
    rukcus Posts: 58
    Options
    I would first like to thank all of you for your responses. This subject can be tough for alot of people. I will look into shakeology and see how it can benefit me. I am sorry to hear about your surgery tahoegirly my Gastro doctor said he would bet all his money that I would need to have a resection at some point in my life while not as drastic its still scary to think about. You are all welcome to add me if you like. I think we all might be able to offer something new we can learn about.