Insanity exercise

Options
So I joined myfitnesspal and was trying to log in my exercise. I do Insanity workouts, but am not finding them in the database. I saw I can manually log them in but I am not sure how many calories my workout takes away. Does anyone else do Insanity or know how many calories are burned during the work out? Is there a calorie counter as far as working out like a pedometer?

Replies

• KyahRose86
    Options
    I start Insanity tonight...and was wondering the same thing in reguards to how I should log it. I hope there's a way of logging it accurately. I don't want to just put down aerobics, cause I don't think that's really the same thing / burns the same amount of calories as Insanity. Hope someone knows, though.
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    they say it avg 10 cal per min but it also depends on your size and how hard you do it. I just started sat with the fit test and only burned somewhere around 130 calories.. I did the plyo circut (41 min) yesterday and burned 322. I'm 5'1" 153 lbs and did not go hard, but I did keep up with it but went at my own pace. I'm sure i'll get better and burn more as time progresses though. I used my HRM. Im sure Im on the lower avg, everyone always seems to burn more calories than me. boo.
  • laminy83
    Options
    Before i got my hrm, i just logged it under "high impact areobics" and went off that. Since ive been using my monitor Ive been logging around 500+ cals. But like the prev poster sd, it depends on how hard ur working during
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM and use that because it's so individualized to your body type/size and the effort you put into it
  • DebiS1972
    Options
    How do you know what calories you burn doing it. As your hr is spiking all the time, if you wait until the end to look at your average heart rate and it goes low when you are stretching - how can you accurately tell what you have burned doing it?

Also - how to you quote someone's reply before then replying?
  • markyb1977
    markyb1977 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I found wearing a fitbit is faily good for calories estimation, but normally I just enter aerobics, high impact, and its never far off.

For the recovery day, I do a pilates log... works well, just need to get my food logging more accurate, as I know I underestimate at times,.. technically cheating!! lol
  • Hobbes922
    Hobbes922 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Once I got a heart rate monitor, it was very easy to see that fitness apps and gym equipment can really exaggerate the amount of calories you burn.

For me, I am 5' 3" and weight 120 lb. I don't burn as much as someone 150lb, 6 foot, or male. But to give you a starting point...I range from 350-390 calories per month 1 workout video (plyo cardio circuit, cardio power and resistance, and pure cardio about 40 minutes each). I burn about 125-150 for cardio abs and cardio recovery. I haven't started month 2 yet, but I expect that calorie burn to get much higher, as the videos are longer (60-95 minutes per day).

I have added these exercises into MyFitnessPal and edit the calories based on my heart rate monitor. Very easy to keep track :)
  • addywatson
    Options
    I like going to gym but I personally don't like doing vigorous exercising. All body need is flexibility and so I spend more time in dancing classes than in gym.

Once I got a heart rate monitor, it was very easy to see that fitness apps and gym equipment can really exaggerate the amount of calories you burn.

For me, I am 5' 3" and weight 120 lb. I don't burn as much as someone 150lb, 6 foot, or male. But to give you a starting point...I range from 350-390 calories per month 1 workout video (plyo cardio circuit, cardio power and resistance, and pure cardio about 40 minutes each). I burn about 125-150 for cardio abs and cardio recovery. I haven't started month 2 yet, but I expect that calorie burn to get much higher, as the videos are longer (60-95 minutes per day).

I have added these exercises into MyFitnessPal and edit the calories based on my heart rate monitor. Very easy to keep track :)

Yeah but i range between 120 (when i am stretching in teh middle of plyo for example but also get up to 164 (which is my max hr) so do you just take the average and do the calculations for calories on that?
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 9 weeks last week, you really need a HRM for this. Then you have to manually add in the daily exercise you do.
  • dsmrunner
    dsmrunner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would put it under 'Circuit training - General' - you should be able to find this under the Cardio exercises.

I wouldn't get too hung up on whatever calorie burn it gives you for the duration, it'll be in the ballpark, assuming you're getting after it in your workout.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your height/weight/ and fitness level is. Calories burned will be different for everyone. I am on week 2 of insanity and I am 5"6 at 164 lbs and burn about 530 calories each time, I use a heart rate monitor and I love it. You always know exactly how many calories you are burning. I would not log it as aerobics though, log it as "circuit training" if you don't have a heart rate monitor, because Insanity is circuit training and the calories burned is more than that when you do "aerobics". Feel free to add me if you have any more questions! I am loving insanity :)
  • emmaroid1981
    emmaroid1981 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I log it as circuit training :smile:
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

Yeah but i range between 120 (when i am stretching in teh middle of plyo for example but also get up to 164 (which is my max hr) so do you just take the average and do the calculations for calories on that?

The HRM does the calorie calculations for you. As your heart rate goes up and down it will adjust the rate of calorie burn.
  • DebiS1972
    Options
    Ah - I do use a HRM - obviously not a good enough one - mine doesn't do the calories:) Makes sense now. I am only on week 3 - its a killer eh!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I use my hrm. As others have said it really does depend on how much effort you put into it. If I didnt have a hrm, id input it as aerobics high impact.
  • sherrislotakoehler
    Options
    Hi. I have a friend who LOVES Insanity. She wears an electronic device that calculates how many calories are burned during the workout. She's around 163 pounds and according to her device she burns appx. 700 calories in 45 minutes of Insanity.
  • addywatson
    Options
    Using HRM is very useful way to get to know how much energy (calorie) you're burning. Generally it is used while doing exercise but should it be used while doing daily domestic chores, or while learning dancing which involves so many body movements? Just curious so I'm asking.