Question about body fat %

Options
2»

Replies

• Pickypeggy
    Options
    I just did mine.

Thanks for checking your body fat percentage here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

The formula below will not calculate your exact body fat percentage. This calculation should give you a consistent measurement you can use as a guideline and determine if you're losing body fat and/or muscle.

Here's the information that you entered:

Sex: female
    Weight: 212 pounds
    Wrist: 7 inches
    Waist: 44 inches
    Hip: 45.5 inches
    Forearm: 13 inches
    Based on this information, you have a lean body mass of 153.8 pounds. Your lean body mass includes everything in your body that's not fat. Now that we know your lean body mass, let's find out how much fat you're carrying around. We'll subtract your lean body mass from your weight and find you currently have 58.2 pounds of fat on your body.

Your body fat percentage is 27.5%.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    are you sure you measured in the right spots? Also, you could just have a slightly larger frame and maybe carrying around a little more muscle than most women.

Like has already been stated, it is all just an estimation anyways. Once it spits out that "magic" number, it is still an estimate and you are going to need to adjust it based on your actual results.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I would not be worrying about your exact BF% right now. Usually it is more important for people who are body building and are trying to increase their muscle mass and decrease their BF% where weight really is not a good measurement anymore. Right now I would focus on your weight.
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I got about 52% when I put your numbers in the military body fat % calculator. I guessed on your neck size. I also would get crazy low #s when I used other calculators (I weighed 280ish and was getting 28% bf?!?) and common sense told me the mbf one is more accurate.
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do not agree with that military body fat calulator.

I have been my current size twice, once now when I am fit, and once 10 years ago when I was skinny but with a high body fat that jiggled everywhere. The military body fat one would have out me both times at 20% and there is no way that it correct, I do not even believe that it is correct now! My gym said I was 33% BF 10 years ago and it was probably right as I had very little muscle tone. I therefore do not believe that you are only 28% BF sorry.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Determining an accurate body fat% is very difficult without getting a body fat scan (DEXA scan) or a full body displacement measurement (Bodpod). I spent a long time trying to wrap my mind around it. The multipoint calculators might be the best calculation but I found that there are pictures of women or men at different body fat % and by comparing how you look and carry weight to how they look is a pretty good way of assessing you body fat %. The important thing is track your own measurements on a regular basis.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Guys calculators are not accurate. If that's the only way you have to use, go and try a ton of different calculators that use all different measurements (hips, waist, neck, thigh, wrist, etc.) and then take the average of those. It would be better to go get it actually tested by a doctor
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Here's an approximate way to tell: Can you see your navel when you look down? Chances are that your body fat is higher than normal if you can't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Those online calculators are not even close for me. I've had my BF% measured hydrostatically at slightly under 19% but if you input my stats into that calculator you get 22.4%. FWIW, I'm 5'2" and 115 lbs so 27% for the OP doesn't sound even close.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...you have all helped me feel better about why it may not seem right to me! Thanks! I appreciate it!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The military calculator really only looks at waist, hips, and neck size. If your neck is relatively large, it actually skews the numbers to give a lower BF% than you really are.

Don't focus so much on the numbers at this point. At 5'2" you know you have fat to lose at 198lbs. BMI is a VERY imperfect tool, but you can use it to get a preliminary range of where you should be headed weight wise. Set an appropriate deficit, and try to be more active. Your actual body fat % won't make much of a difference to your approach at this point. Get a pair of calipers to get some more accurate numbers.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    lose weight first-then worry about your body fat-jmo
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ignore all that . Do you have fat to lose? yes? Then that's all that matters.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I tried out the body calculator and also got like 27.5% but the Covert Bailey calculator makes better sense plus it ask for more measurements...it helps render a more accurate number.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What your actual percentage doesn't really matter at this point. You know you have weight to lose so let's get to it. It you want to approximate your bf% just compare yourself to this chart.

body-fat-percentage-women_zps824df09e.jpg
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take a lot of notice of the calculators. I have a lot of visible fat on certain parts of my body like upper arms, thighs, bum and lower stomach and some calculators put me at 27%. I know that's not right as while I've got slim ankles, forearms, a tiny neck and lean collar bone area the other parts are pretty fat compared to the rest of me.

I've also used different scales and got readings right up to 38% (including water) but on another set of scales the reading is currently 31%. I have calipers at home too which tell me I'm closer to 32 or 33%.

Either way as I want to get to 20% initially as a goal, I know I've got a long way to go (and I'm currently only 144.5 lbs at 5 foot 4)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    DO NOT USE ONLINE CALCULATORS OR EXPENSIVE GADGETS TO ESTIMATE BODY FAT PERCENTAGE.
    The online stuff and scales are all wrong wrong wrong.

If you want to estimate your bf%, look at the pics posted by DavPaul, or look here: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
    If you want to see if you are making changes, follow your measurements.

If you really want accurate BF% calculated, you have to do hydrostatic or dexa scan, both you have to pay for. Or you can have a skileld person do the caliper test.