Struggling to GAIN weight

Hello,
My name is Kim. I will be 46yrs young in Feb. I am 5'6" and I weigh 127 and want to get to 135lbs. As silly as it may sound, It is Extremely hard for me to gain weight. I have a high metabolism and I work out about 5 days a week. It's been very hard trying to find others who are trying to GAIN weight. Some say just EAT, EAT, EAT and gain weight, but I don't want unhealthy weight (ie. muffin-top or "kangaroo pouch" :smile: ).
Is there anyone else out there that struggles with weight gain? Got any suggestions on the topic or recipes to share?

Replies

• Hey Kim,

I have been struggling to gain the weight that I lost late last year due to stress and lack of appetite. I found this app after giving into the reality that if I was serious I would need to count my calories. So I am getting back on track. Maybe we can offer each other support? Sending you a friend request!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    when you work out if you are doing cardio, stop that, and start lifting, cardio burns calories to burn fat, lifting will help increase muscle and therefore weight. eat whole foods that are still healthy, like whole milk, nuts, cheese, red meat and other meats, drink protein shakes, and have starchy carbs (of course also have veggies, fruit, etc. to be healthy, but just take away low fat versions and increase your portion size and lift and you will gain weight as muscle)
  • Working out always helps me get my appetite back up :-) Please don't stress too much, it's definitely not good for you. Sometimes when I'm stressed...I take a good book and go relax in a hot bath (LOL) Hey, sometimes we have to make time for ourselves...We deserve it!
  • Thanks for the advice. Do you know of any good-tasting protein drinks (other than Shakeology)?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    You're eating less than 1,000 calories a day. It would be hard for a child to gain weight like that.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    I work out 5 times a week, and I'm trying to lose. I always thought if you wanted to maintain, 3 times a week was all that was needed? Maybe 5 times is a bit much? Also, what kind of exercises do you do? If it's mostly cardio, I would pull back on that and focus more on strength. Just my insight.

Edit: Just glanced at your diary. Are you not logging everything? On the days that you log, you have over 1000 calories left. You are not eating enough!
  • Also, make sure that you check with your doctor. I lost a lot of weight over a brief period of time, and when I attempted to regain it, the doc checked my thyroid. Turned out my thyroid was fine, but I have type 1 diabetes. It may be as simple as adding in more calories, but it never hurts to talk to your doctor to rule out any medical concerns.
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    You're eating less than 1,000 calories a day. It would be hard for a child to gain weight like that.

x2

I am eating between 2500-3000 calories a day to LOSE weight.

Even your food logs show you at a 1,000 calorie deficit for the days I looked at. That's on track to lose 2 pounds per week.

You need to DRAMATICALLY increase your food consumption if you want to gain weight.
  • jfeh
    jfeh Posts: 30
    You can buy lots of different protein powders at grocery stores or health food stores. Vanilla and chocolate ones taste pretty good and can be 300 calories for 2 scoops. Use whole milk, add in a banana and some peanut butter, and you can be up to 600 calories per shake.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member

This x 1,000!!!! If your calorie goal is set for maintaining or to gain weight you need to be eating all of your calories. According to your diary you are at a 1,000 calorie deficit each day which should be causing you to lose weight.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    There are groups for gainers on here. My un-expert opinion is to NET at least 3000 calories a day (so that means add additional calories for cardio workouts) to make any gains with a fast metabolism. I think I've got a moderate metabolism and maintain my weight around 2100 cal/day. I also think you should look into lifting heavy if you want the gained weight to be sleek looking muscle and not all fat.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    I agree. You're at a major deficit nearly every day of 1000 kcals. You can't expect to gain weight eating like a bird. I would have a heartier breakfast of oatmeal...maybe add some rice to dinner - large portions of meat of some sort. You can easily do five mini-meals if the issue is that you can't eat all of your food at a sitting. Eat nuts (weigh them) as they have lots of calories. Mrs May's makes a great fruit and nut bar that's about 240 calories for each one. There are tons of ways to gain weight but you're not eating enough so that could be why you're slimming down. It may not be your metabolism so much as lack of food and nutrients based on your activity levels.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Maybe you aren't writing down everything you eat? Log your food. Hit the goal MFP has given you. Make time in your life to enjoy at least one meal a day with friends or family. Don't skip meals. Increase your protein consumption: include a significant source of protein with each meal. Avoid diet drinks, dressing, and dairy. Focus on whole foods and if you don't have time to cook, find a frozen meal (Amy's) that is organic, balanced and tasty. We all have different challenges but often the answer is the same: discipline. Make all aspects of your health a priority. You can do this!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    I would have to eat 2300 calories a day to MAINTAIN my current weight, so to gain i would have to be eating at least 2500-2600 a day. Avoid extensive cardio and start to lift heavy. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good way to start. Simple program that concentrates on compound moves.