What do you take to work for lunch?

Options

Replies

• Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Usually a Lean Cuisine and an orange. I'm trying to pull out of Lean Cuisines though because they are just not worth it...I'm full for about an hour and then I'm starving again, and the sodium and sugar are ridiculous. I like taking a sandwich but I can never find the energy to make it the night before lol.
  • cathywishart3
    Options
    I LOVE spaghetti squash! Is it high in carbs? It makes me feel absolutely stuffed and I avoid all that white flour in spaghetti....
  • amadilla
    amadilla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130118_102915_zps8c399f5b-1_zps05d7af4d.jpg

snacks
    1/4 cup trail mix - 150cal
    11-12 ranch or chocolate rice cakes - 100cal

I portion everything out when I get home from the store so its just grab and go!

IMG_20130110_081652_zpsf3d3b11f-1_zpse7fdf66b.jpg

I eat breakfast before I leave for work then have a snack , then lunch, then another snack just before I leave work.
    celery with 2 Tbl peanut butter - about 200 cal
    lunch - 2oz chicken, 1/4 cup black beans, 3/4 cup rice with hot sauce and greek yogurt as sour cream
    canteloupe
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been crazy digging on the following sandwich:

2 slices nature's own double fiber wheat bread (total=100cals)
    3 slices of oscar meyer misquite turkey breast (total=60cals)
    1 tbsp dukes mayo (total=100cals)
    1 tbsp frenches classic mustard (total=ZERO woohoo)
    1 cup baby spinach (total=20cals)
    grand total = 280 (*and sometimes I use dukes lite so it's only 230 then woohoo x2 lol)

So I put the sammy together @ home EXCEPT FOR the spinach. I carry that to work in the container and put it on the sandwich at break time - otherwise it loses its crunch value.

The crunch is totally kickin! and then when i pull it back from my mouth and look at it - it's like a trickery for my brain waves because it kinda resembles a very meaty stacked sandwich with all the baby spinach layers lol.

(however - have been on this for 2 weeks now - so payday coming up we'll likely take a different route. it was very impressive for several days (only today did i find it a lil' lackluster) - so thanks for starting this thread! lotsa good ideas :)
  • lynnsloss2013
    Options
    Today, I had a cup of low-fat yogurt, a sliced whole banana, and about quarter cup of love crunch (dark chocolate and strawberry granola), makes a great parfait!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I had a half of a large baked potato with 1 oz of cheddar, 1/2 tbsp of butter, 2 tbps of sour cream, and chicken breast patty.

Nom Nom Nom Nom.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I usually take a sandwich, two pieces of Cobs white bread, turkey sandwich meat, cheese and mustard. However, because that is over 300 calories, and I also like a bigger dinner this week I have started to take just a half sandwich made up of the same components, and cucumbers and celery.
  • invincible_summer
    Options
    Houmous wholemeal sandwich. Or wholemeal salad sandwich. Bottle of water. Maybe carrot sticks.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, stuff to make salads, soups, veggies, Garden Of Life Raw Shake, Banana's, 100 Calorie Tortillas, Tuna packaged, Veganaise...Sometimes Chicken Breasts and Veggies to Grill and Popcorn...I have an Airpopper, Blender and Foreman Grill/ mini oven at work and my own personal fridge so If I wanted to I could make a fresh home cooked meal during my lunch. Almost everyday I bring a small bag of groceries so Im never caught off guard and without healthy options.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I usually cook enough at dinner to bring a smaller portion in the next day for lunch. If not I mix tuna, a stalk of celery and a hard boiled egg and put it on a tortilla. Packaged lunches and soup have way to much sodium.
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    When I worked outside the home and was doing this, I took a salad and then at lunch mixed it with tuna/spicy mustard/lite mayo. It was soooooooooo good and satisfying. I also took a piece of fruit or two for a snack, and sometimes a fiber one brownie for the afternoon choco crave. :D
  • samnco
    samnco Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of what everyone else mentioned. today I brought in a bag of veggies and tuna. Turkey bacon and yogurt. I also like Amy's organic meals. Delicious but expensive!
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Salads, bananas, cheese sticks, apples, peanut butter, campbell's soup, turkey wraps, greek yogurt, dinner leftovers
  • davidbronkalla
    davidbronkalla Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I take a big portion of spinach, 1 can of tuna, and 1 serving of blue cheese crumbles. It is simple but has a lot of flavor. I am not a fan of dressing on my salads so it is just dry. This will keep me full for hours.
  • zilea
    zilea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
  • TheMoonMuse
    TheMoonMuse Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like to pack my lunch while making dinner the night before. That way my 14 year old slave only has to do the dishes once :) Also, that way I don't have to worry about it in the morning or make poor choices because I am running late.

My usual is a spinach and arugula salad with what ever fresh veggies I can find at the store that don't cost an arm and a leg. I just spent $7.69 on one head of cauliflower that was "on sale" last week :) I cook my chicken once a week in a big batch (cooking in low sodium broth with lots of herbs really helps) and then portion it all out so all I have to do is throw a saran wrapped portion in my salad container.

I like to eat so I bring a lot of snacks, always balanced with protein to keep me full as long as possible. Plus by the time I get home I am not starving and eating dinner as I am cooking dinner.

Today's snacks -
    -Activia vanilla light with 1/8 cup slivered almonds. A lot of the time you can find baking almonds (slivered on sliced) cheaper than raw whole almonds.
    1/2 can tuna with horseradish, relish, and red onion - divided into 2 snacks. One with a small apple, and the second with celery. Try cutting apple really thin like a chip and putting a little tuna on it. Divine!!
    2% cottage cheese with several pickled cherry peppers... A lot of sodium on this one today but oh well the store finally had them and I have been waiting 6 months lol! Usually I do strawberries, melon, pineapple, etc.

After all that and my breakfast (half english muffin, smidgen of PB, 3 tablespoons egg whites nuked, and cup o strawberries, I still have 446 calories for the evening based on a 1200 calorie limit. Now, I do usually eat back my calories spent working out. But since I have a day and evening filled with meetings, and it also feels like -15 out, I probably won't get my C25K in. If I have a workout planned I eat more. In this case, if I happen to get a workout in, wine will be in my future :)
  • kbmomma42
    kbmomma42 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I reheat my grilled chicken breast in a Steamer bag (just rinse it out and reuse) - and its super tender even the next day!
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I always prepare my meals the night before. Today was Coconut rice (homemade 50/50 water/milk ratio) and braised chicken :)

Veggies to snack on this afternoon and I had a banana this morning

I try and avoid pre-packaged meals from the store due to the sodium in them plus also its not a lot of food for the amount of calories
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Leftovers and/or salad.
  • shirsch52
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/three-bean-and-beef-chili-recipe/index.html

Last week it was that (above URL) chili, delicious, only 295 calories per serving (1.25 cups), 22 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber. Keeps me full. I would have an orange and a yogurt too, but if you're wanting to be under 400 calories then a piece of fruit or a yogurt would do.

I often make something in large batches that I take with me all week for lunch.. but I'm one of those people who can eat the same thing all week for lunch and be fine. Some people get sick of that. I just change it up for the next week.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/baked-pasta-with-sausage-and-spinach.html

This casserole I have made before and taken for lunch as well. What I do is I make it, cool it in the fridge, then once it's cold it sets up a little more (like any kind of lasagna or noodle casserole) and you can cut it into the proper sized portions. I made smaller portions than it suggested and it was still enough. I plastic wrapped each portion, then put them in a large ziploc bag and froze them (double wrapping = less risk of freezer burn). Taking them for lunch was super easy, stick your portion in a container and simply reheat. They tasted delicious the whole 2 months they were in the freezer.

I have also made a curried quinoa salad with chickpeas or lentils, fresh vegetables and dried currants in it and taken it for lunch. Also very tasty, lower calorie, high fiber and protein (the recipe is from Looneyspoons and is called Moroccan and Rollin' Quinoa and Chickpea Salad.. or something).

Good luck!