What in the H*** does this mean?

Options
Your Daily Calorie Requirements
Imperial Metric
Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1949
Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 2680
Daily calories based on goal in step 6 2010

So I went to the website that calculates your TDEE and these are the numbers that I got. Now, this seems like way too many calories for me to be taking in! 2010 calories a day!? That can't possibly be right.
I need some help deciphering this...

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    How tall are you ?
    what do you weigh?
    What activity level did you select?
    What website did you use?

A lot of women eat 2000 calories to lose weight.
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    How tall are you ?
    what do you weigh?

I'm 5'7
    I weigh 265
    I chose sedentary ( desk job)
    And I used Scooby's workshop calculator.

It seems like so much to me.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Actually, it seems perfectly fine to me. Your ticker shows you want to lose about 100 pounds, so I'm going to guess you are fairly overweight. (not an insult! I started at 220) The higher your weight, the more calories it takes to get you through the day, so the more you can eat and still lose weight. You wouldn't want to eat 1200 calories if you are still heavier, you would lose too fast and most likely lose muscle mass more than fat. You still need to fuel your body.

I started at about 220 and I started with eating about 1800 calories daily. I lost weight and a steady and healthy rate, roughly 2 pounds a week.

ETA: I was typing when you posted your weight, height, etc. Yep, still looks about right to me.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    How tall are you ?
    what do you weigh?

I'm 5'7
    I weigh 265

I just entered in all your info and got you should be eating 1884 cals/day. Since you entered sed, you will need to eat back exercise cals if you do workout.

ETA: I am currently eating over 2000 cals/day and losing, so it's not an abstract idea
  • rjh1975
    rjh1975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and, when I joined MFP part way through my weight loss I weighed about 185 lbs. I was given 1740 calories to lose a pound a week. Your numbers don't sound too off to me :)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Sounds perfectly normal to me. At your weight though you can probably get away with eating TDEE - 30%. which would put you at 1876.
  • fmanwell
    Options
    My fitness coach has me at 1200 calories to lose weight. I weight 140, 5'5" and very active in cardio and weight training.
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm eating between 1800-2100/day and eating back about half of my workout calories and still losing every week. I've lost 11 lbs since Jan. 1st.
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I want to calculate mine. what site do you use. Im
    5'3
    162lbs
    and have a desk job
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    How tall are you ?
    what do you weigh?

I'm 5'7
    I weigh 265

I'm 5'8"
    I weigh 245lb
    I have a desk job
    I eat 2,000 calories a day
    See my ticker? That's 3 weeks.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Maybe a different explanation/perspective would help?

BMR is your basal metaolic rate - this is the number of calories your body burns just for basic function, like as if you were in a coma. Breathing, circulation, brain function, digestion - all of that burns more calories than we realize. So if you like, set your calories at your BMR number instead. You will still be at a calorie deficit (and therefore lose weight) because even being sedentary you burn 300-500 calories per day just with a little walking around and sitting up and other little things like cooking dinner and tidying up.

When/if you do incorporate exercise, be sure to either bump up your TDEE daily goal or log the exercise on MFP and eat back at least half of those calories. Also keep in mind that as you lose the weight, you should go back and recalculate your numbers as they will change slightly. Every 10 pounds should be sufficient.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", 230lbs and eat about 1900 calories a day, well that is what I aim for. My TDEE is high enough that if I go over to 2000 or 2200 I don't feel guily. It seems like a lot but the science is there and it just makes sense. TRust me, this works but you have to give it time and you have to stick with it!

I lost 50lbs eating 1200 a day when I started here a few years ago and I've gained back half of that. I was starving my body and wish I would have started eating THIS way sooner!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft4.5 weight 183-ish started at 272, I currently eat 1810 (could probably eat more but I like how I'm losing at the moment) it seems like a scary number but it's still less than what I was eating to make me so overweight in the first place :flowerforyou:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right.

If you use this method please remember it factors in reasonable amounts of activity - so no eating back exercise calories (unlike MFP calculations.)
  • emills1970
    emills1970 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. You are tall, and you have a lot to lose so that doesn't seem like too many calories at all.

To give perspective i maintain around 1900 cals and i am 115 pounds. Less than half of your weight.

:)

Good luck!!!
  • mistakenidentity
    mistakenidentity Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump