Twice a day workout?

I´m not really sure if training twice a day is optimal. Currently I´m going to the gym at 5:30am, but taking rests at night. I want to start doing some cardio at nights. Nothing too heavy, just 30 min workout to shed some fat %. It could be only 3 x a week.
I believe I´m getting a good amount of proteins and carbs to support both workouts. Any of you out there that can give me a heads up?

Replies

• Anyone?
    :embarassed:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    What do you do at your 5:30 workout? Generally speaking, twice per day would not be advisable but it really depends on what those routines look like. If you're only doing 3x weekly, that would probably be ok, just make sure you're giving your body active recovery time...to include your heart muscle.
  • Body split routine.

1. Back and chest.
    2. Legs
    3. Arms / shoulder

2 gym: 1 rest

40min routine without any cardio
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Be smart about it, and listen to your body. Obviously, you don't want to do the same kind of strengthening routines in the evening that you do that morning or the morning after, but adding cardio in the evening to supplement a morning weights workout isn't just a good idea, it's the preferred way of mixing the two.

Nothing wrong with 2-a-days, just make sure you ease into the new activity and let your body adapt -- joints and bones and tendons too, not just heart and lungs.

Good luck!
  • RippedRunner
    RippedRunner Posts: 13 Member
    I am following a building program from bodybuilding.com and it has us doing cardio 2x per day, 30minutes in the am and 30 minutes in the pm. I think you will be fine if you keep it 30minutes or under and when the program calls for "cardio" it can be as easy as a walk, taking the stairs, etc. You don't have to do HITT training to count it as cardio.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    I was doing two a days, two or sometimes three days per week until I hit my goal. I didn't see anything wrong with it, though it was more cardio or Group Power.

I still sometimes do them, but my AMs are now always 30 minutes lifting heavy. and then a later cardio session of boxing or running.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Just do 1 workout a week.

Make sure you work out for at least 13 hours though.
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    ^^^ I swear this place is like a highschool for sarcastic douches.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    The internet?

TOTALLY!
  • I was doing two a days, two or sometimes three days per week until I hit my goal. I didn't see anything wrong with it, though it was more cardio or Group Power.

I still sometimes do them, but my AMs are now always 30 minutes lifting heavy. and then a later cardio session of boxing or running.

That´s exactly what I´m aiming for. Dropping my fat % to my desired goal through 2 a days and then mantaining it through superset workouts or giants sets.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I´m not sure I will be trying the once a week 13hr workout in the near future............but please keep me posted if it works! =)
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    If you splitting up your strength training and your cardio, then there is no issue. I like doing two a days, sometimes 3 a days but it is because I sit on my butt all day at work and commute 2-3 hours a day. 2-3 a days get me to a leave of activity daily that I should be at as a normal human being.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    I occasionally do this. Lifting at the gym in the morning and 5-10k in the afternoon. I couldn't resist the 40F thermometer reading this afternoon and had to get a run in even though I lifted this morning. More often than not though it's one or the other.

As mentioned, just listen to your body. :)
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    I do 2 a days maybe 3 times a week. It's fine as long as you're eating to support your workouts, getting plenty of water, and sleep. You just don't want to over train. Your body will adapt to just about anything you ask it to do within reason. I do a Jillian Michael's workout dvd's (Jillian Michael's Body Revolution) using weights 6 times a week (30 min. each). I go to an MMA gym 3-4 a week and take both a kickboxing (1 hour) and jiu-jitsu class (1 1/2 hours).
  • Do what you have the energy to do..mentally and physically! :happy:
    I have put on 20 lbs...(operation..new boyfriend..( happy weight) etc!) and feel like CRAP!!
    I felt better last year when I was doing Zumba and Kickboxing back to back!!
    Back to it!!!!