beginner runner

Options
Within the last month i've started jogging. My cousin and I motivate each other. Right now we are still working up to jogging the full 3 miles that we have set as a goal. We jog 2mins then walk 2 mins. Last week we did 3.8 miles in 60mins. Is this a good pace?

Replies

• Faulkners407
    Faulkners407 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I vote yes! Because you have to start somewhere! In time, you will find yourself walking less, and eventually you will find yourself going faster, just keep putting on your shoes and go! I am not a fitness expert, but I honestly believe from personal experience that logging the miles helps you get towards your goal of running faster.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    A good pace is whatever you are running. Don't worry about speed or comparing yourself to others when just starting out. Get the miles in, build up your endurance and miles, and speed will come.
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree. I increase my runs by a block each week. So every sunday... I add another block to my outdoor running route-- then during the week I work on increasing my pace. We all (re)start somewhere... so as long as you are running longer/faster/stronger than you were when you started, then you are making progress.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    yes, not a bad time for a beginner. Make sure that you're increasing your time running. What i did at the Running room, was start off with one and one (one minute walking, one minute running), then increase that by a minute every week. So, the second week would be "two and one" (two minutes running, one minute walking).

I run (fairly) regularly, and i do "ten and ones" (ten min running, one walking).

good for you!!!
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I started TODAY- I got the Couchto5k app and it has me running a minute, walking a minute- I don't know what the future holds but I think I can do this :smile:
    Good luck to you!!! :smile:
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Nice....this gives me inspiration. I'm re-starting again.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest doing the C25K program. It will really help with building endurance for longer running portions.
  • hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When you're starting out running you NEVER EVER WORRY ABOUT PACE. YOUR PACE DOESN'T MATTER AS LONG AS YOU FINISH IT. Work on getting your mileage up and you'd be amazed at how much faster you've gotten.
  • aknapps
    Options
    THANKS really helps to hear that i don't have to compete with anyone but myself.
  • rabt6f
    rabt6f Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No matter how fast you run, your lapping everyone on the couch.

That's what I remind myself of when I run. I've learned to love to run and I'm slow at it. that's ok though, I love it and it makes me feel good. What I've found also is that runners are all supportive of eachother, fast, slow, skinny, fat, runners are just happy your moving.
  • Farah_akbar
    Farah_akbar Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    I vote yes! Because you have to start somewhere! In time, you will find yourself walking less, and eventually you will find yourself going faster, just keep putting on your shoes and go! I am not a fitness expert, but I honestly believe from personal experience that logging the miles helps you get towards your goal of running faster.

i think this is so true i am not a RUNNER myself but i did that as well. i use to walk for 5 mins then run 2 mins i am a SMOKER on top so that so i couldn't last more then 2 mins but like she says "just keep putting on your shoes and go" i would try and try and keep saying to myself i can do this this is mine i can i can and you know what after 5 days i kicked my OWN *kitten* and now i can run for 10,15,20 mins in my own pace you are luck you have some to run with you i didn't all i can SAY IS DON'T GIVE UP HAVE A BIT OF FAITH IN YOU AND GIVE ALL U HAVE IN IT AND IN NO TIME YOU BE OUT THERE ENJOYING IT KEEP IT IN YOUR OWN PACE DON'T RUSH TO FAST TAKE UR TIME AND YOU WILL GET THERE I KNOW YOU Will :-)
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    You should always work to run further / faster than you currently can. Your own personal bests are the only thing you should concern yourself with.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    It is a great start, right now I run 4 in 40 so you aren't far behind me! :) great job, just keep going and you will be able to go farther and father everyday. :)
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Great!! Keep at it!
  • oldefatguy
    Options
    Yes that is a great pace for a beginner or a re-starter, if you injury yourself and have to stop then you dont do yourself any good.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I agree - just jogging/running at all is a great place to start. Don't worry about pace, ever. Unless you're competing in running. Enjoy the exercise that you're doing or really, whats the point?:smile:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Any pace you can do, and do better a week or two later is excellent!

Let me suggest that you get fitted for running shoes at a running store before you start racking up the miles. I would also make sure you are warming up, stretching, and cooling down. If you need help, ask!

Running is one of the most amazing things a human can do - and to do it without injury and get better is the goal.

Good luck.
  • SchizJophrenic
    SchizJophrenic Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    YES!

It is all about doing your best and improving it each time.
    I have never been a runner, and started recently with "ease into 10km" app. I surprise myself how much I can improve between each run, and also each level.