Fruit & Veggie 1-Day Challenge – Saturday Jan 26, 2013

Options
RebelRenny
RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
Delicious foods are in your future!! This challenge is meant for those who would like to increase their fruit and veggie consumption and create an awareness of their nutritional values.

Also...does your weight loss need a kick in the you-know-what? Mine does too!! Would you like to learn to enjoy fresh fruits and veggies? I do!! Can you use some support and good ideas? Me too!! We know that "fruits and vegetables" are good for us. But what are you doing about it? This is your 1 day per week - weekly challenge for 2013.

Here is how the challenge works:
-EAT vegetables and/or fruit at every meal and snack time for the day.
-SUBSTITUTE any (or all) of the starch / meat / dairy food portion in a meal with Fresh Vegetables (where possible)
-Have only (fresh) fruits or vegetables for snacks
-Drink 8oz of water and no alcohol

-Use common sense - Retrain your Senses !! (If you can't do a whole day, do one meal)

YOU decide to be in! YOU benefit!
1. Post if you are in and what you are going to do for the day
2. Report back how you did at the end of the day or – also good - the next morning!

Good luck everyone!
Rebel Renny
From Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

p.s. For some this approach creates a cleanse... especially if you have not been used to a high fiber intake.

Replies

• Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm in again Renny - going to try papaya and pomegranate (maybe I should keep going with the Ps and have pineapple and peaches and pears etc.)
    Lila from Fruitvale in the Kootenays BC Canada
  • mouth5667
    Options
    I'm in again! I even have my husband joining in!
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group and need to change things up. Food routine is getting state and I'm back-sliding way too much. So, this is the perfect challenge for me. Will report back at the end of the day.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the fruit/veggie challenge - - thanks all for sharing your stories with this newbie.
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like a good challenge like this one. I'm in.:glasses:
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    At first I thought... wow, this is huge.. and I love veggies and fruit, but then I think I saw it's one day a week that we do this? on top of eating healthy the rest of the time... Ok... I'm in...

I especially love the part about giving up the starches for more veggies/fruits.

Anything to jumpstart this old body!

Tammy in VA
  • mouth5667
    Options
    Epic fail today! Will try another day. I didn't do a good job planning for the day so very few veggies today. Boo!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    1 Day is all that required. I been doin this every day for a week now. I do feel a difference and I have a lot of energy. I have always been this person that knows whats right for my insides but I torture myself with falling into a food rut. I end up crawlin out of it just in time to realize another 10-15 pnds have been added to my Food Fail resume.:sad:
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning, veggie royals! :wink:

Lila - How did the papaya and pomegranate and the rest of the `P` group of foods work out?

Lori - And...did your hubby get in on the fun of fruits and veggies? I know you said the day was an epic fail, but there is always another day!!

50ishfoodie - I saw you on the women 50+ forum as well. So good to see you here. Mixing it up is a great strategy. How did things work out for you?

brookehe - Love what you state on your profile: "If not now, when?" Quitting smoking is a huge accomplishment. Onto healthy eating, is the perfect support for a new body!

walkswithart - intriguing handle! I do a bit better when I am challenged too. It's the refocusing that makes a difference.

Tammytylerjones - I love your profile picture with the lavender in the background. Fitting into my clothes is one of my goals as well. Storing fat over 50 takes on a whole different meaning for me too.

Chasinpavemnt - Love it that you did this every day for a week! That is the goal. For so many, 1-day is such a challenge already.

:ohwell: People (me included) think that some veggies on their plate as a side dish means that they get enough, but that is simply not the case.

I am learning to eat a huge salad once a day at lunch. And then another plate full of veggies at dinner. In between I try to eat 4 pieces of fruit. I also eat nuts.

Let's make today another healthy eating day, and I will set up a new challenge next Saturday!

:heart: Renny
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi Renny and all the F&V'ers
    Yesterday wasn't stellar, worked at a community fund raiser and had a home make Poppycock treat which definitely was not on the fruit and veg list (popcorn and nuts within reason I guess, but the caramel was not sanctioned at all). Not heavy enough on the vegetables so I'm going to continue it for today as well. I'm craving some winter vegetables for some reason so I'd better temper that with some leafy stuff as well.
    Lila
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    For those who are curious as to how many servings of fruits/veggies is the daily recommendation, check out a couple of websites:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55983

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/ask-a-health-expert/fruits-and-vegetables-how-much-should-i-really-eat-daily/article571839/

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/nutrition/a/05_fruit_veggie_5.htm

Daily recommendation used to be 5 servings total. That was increased a number of years ago to 9. So, if that includes 4 servings of fruit, then one should eat at least 5 servings of veggies per day.

I would then turn attention to what type of vegetables, as not all are created equal. So, if people are thinking to fill their plate with white potatoes, or corn, nope...that is not the idea. It's the green leafy kind that should be #1. If you want to include a potato, choose a small sweet potato or yam. Then stirfry some other veggies, such as mushrooms, snap peas, a red or yellow bell pepper and sliced carrots. Add some of your favourate spices/herbs. Put the warm veggies and yam on top of a bed of raw spinach, and throw on some nuts! Voila. You are eating delicious food!

Renny
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maggiemoak
    Options
    Going for the challenge. My favorite part of MFP is the challenges that make you think, commit and do. I am gona add this one to my drinking more water.
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For those who are curious as to how many servings of fruits/veggies is the daily recommendation, check out a couple of websites:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55983

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/ask-a-health-expert/fruits-and-vegetables-how-much-should-i-really-eat-daily/article571839/

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/nutrition/a/05_fruit_veggie_5.htm

Daily recommendation used to be 5 servings total. That was increased a number of years ago to 9. So, if that includes 4 servings of fruit, then one should eat at least 5 servings of veggies per day.

I would then turn attention to what type of vegetables, as not all are created equal. So, if people are thinking to fill their plate with white potatoes, or corn, nope...that is not the idea. It's the green leafy kind that should be #1. If you want to include a potato, choose a small sweet potato or yam. Then stirfry some other veggies, such as mushrooms, snap peas, a red or yellow bell pepper and sliced carrots. Add some of your favourate spices/herbs. Put the warm veggies and yam on top of a bed of raw spinach, and throw on some nuts! Voila. You are eating delicious food!

Renny

These are great suggestions
  • RamoZimm
    RamoZimm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump for the links. Thanks!
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Forgot to report back. It went great and made me more conscious of adding veggies all week. Will do it again!