Fitness Bands/Clips? Yay or Nay?

Options
Hello :)

I have heard a lot about fitness wristbands/clips (Jawbone, Fitbit, etc.) and is curious who all uses one and how do you like it?

I am thinking about buying a Fitbit Wristband when it becomes available (Spring 13).

Replies

• jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    crickets huh
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just got my fitbit in today. I got the ONE. I decided on it because I can see the read out during the day and hopefully be motivated to move more. The band only has lights and you can't view your progress during the day unless you sync with your computer or iphone. Also I can clip the ONE to my bra or put it in my pocket, it is tiny and discreet. The band has to be worn at all times and I dont think I would wear it at work due to risk of drowning it in the shampoo bowl.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I started this reseach process last fall. I'm just a social worker so price was a huge factor. I also have to wear girl clothes three times each week to work so style was a factor. I needed something that would track my weight, body fat, lean muscle, movement, sleep and heart rate. Here's what I decided.

Body bug and Mio Active were out for several reasons: initial cost was high and the monthly cost of keeping it up was astronomical. It wasn't something I could ever hide. I don't want to advertise my weight loss journey to the world.

The Nike thing, along with all other wrist bands, were out because I couldn't wear it to work without it looking like I was wearing a teen-ager's rubber band braclet around my wrist.

I setteled on the following mix:
    *FitBit (easily hidden and pretty accurate to track movement, elivation gain and sound sleep)
    **Affordable intiall cost
    **No monthly fee
    **Syncs to MFP which, in my opinion, has the best database for food and I have zero problems with the sync feature
    *Aria digital WiFi scale
    **I sync it to MFP and https://trendweight.com/ both sites are free
    *Endomondo
    **I purchased the $5 "pro" version becuase I WOG not run and the interval program on there is easily customizable for me.
    **I sync this to MFP too
    *I just bought a Wahoo Fitness Heart Monitor Run Pack because FitBit doesn't track non moving exercise like Yoga, Weights and Pilates.
    **It syncs to Endomondo and my iPhone.
    **I log non movement exercises on FitBit.com to get an accurate read of what I'm burning during those exercises.

That makes my overall cost:
    *FitBit $99
    **free website
    *Aria Scale $125
    **trendweight free website
    *Endomondo $5
    *WaHoo Fitness Heart Rate Monitor $99
    **That's a grand total of less than $330 without needing any other costs.

Works for me :)
  • Endman
    Endman Posts: 894
    Options
    I recently (approximately 3 weeks ago) got a Fitbit One. I wear it every day clipped to my belt. Nobody seems to have noticed it yet. It is relatively small. In the past I wore a small pedometer and people seemed to notice that. I also wear the Fitbit at night to log my sleep. It seems to be accurate with that. I recently had a sleep study and the number of times I awoke during the study was right within the range of the number of times the fitbit says I am waking.
    I link my Fitbit account up with my MyFitnessPal account. It allows me to eat more calories because of the amount I move during the day. That is a huge plus for me. Worth the $100 right there. Lol.
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I recently (approximately 3 weeks ago) got a Fitbit One. I wear it every day clipped to my belt. Nobody seems to have noticed it yet. It is relatively small. In the past I wore a small pedometer and people seemed to notice that. I also wear the Fitbit at night to log my sleep. It seems to be accurate with that. I recently had a sleep study and the number of times I awoke during the study was right within the range of the number of times the fitbit says I am waking.
    I link my Fitbit account up with my MyFitnessPal account. It allows me to eat more calories because of the amount I move during the day. That is a huge plus for me. Worth the $100 right there. Lol.

How does the ONE track sleep? Will I need to click it every time I wake up at night? I know to wear it on my wrist at night but just dont understand how it will track my sleep.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How does the ONE track sleep? Will I need to click it every time I wake up at night? I know to wear it on my wrist at night but just dont understand how it will track my sleep.

You start the stop watch when your are ready to go to sleep and stop it when you wake up. In between it just records movement as waking up.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have used fitbit for a couple of years. My ultra just died (dropped and smashed it whoops). Just got the Zip. I like it because it is small, cheap and no frills. I personally don't sync it with Fitbit. Mentally it messes with my allotted calories for the day. I want to eat X amount of calories. When I get the calories that are added back, I eat them and then I stop losing weight.

I just track my fitness using the Fitbit site and MFP for food logging. Works for me.

The synchronization works very well for others.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Link, and I love it. It gives accurate calorie counts whether I am riding my bike, stretching, lifting, or using the elliptical. I also have the Fitbit, but did not like that it couldn't track lifting, and did not know the difference between a resistance of 1 on the elliptical or level 15. It also syncs with MFP.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have the cheapy deapy Fitbit Zip and have really been enjoying it. I like seeing my step and calorie progress throughout the day and I do have it linked to MFP and Neufit. That said, I am anxiously awaiting my new Suunto HRM so I can get a better calorie burn reading for non walking activities (particularly spinning!).

I bought the Zip while on vacation and was too impatient to wait and get the One, but it turned out ok. I already know that I sleep terribly... However, can anyone tell me what they think of the Aria? I am so into gadgets!

Happy shopping!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I
    However, can anyone tell me what they think of the Aria? I am so into gadgets!

I have the Aria and I sync it with TrendWeight.com and I :heart: it so very much. I don't want to be a cardiobunny. I want to gain lean muscle and the Aria tellsme how I'm doing with that. I recommend it!
  • Endman
    Endman Posts: 894
    Options
    The Fitbit comes with a wristband which I wear on my non-dominant wrist sort of like a wrist watch. When you plan on trying to sleep, you put the Fitbit into a pocket in the wristband. Then you press and hold the button on it which starts a stopwatch and go to sleep. Somehow (I think it is with magic) it monitors your movements during sleep and determines how many times you move enough to indicate that you are awake. When you get up in the morning you press the button again to stop the sleep logging stopwatch. Then when the fitbit syncs it downloads all of you sleep data. It tells you how long it took for you to fall asleep, how long you were actually asleep, the times that you awoke, how long you were in bed, and the total number of hours/minutes you were asleep.