Why did you choose to join MFP?

Options
I did a post early (Age is no excuse) about making a commitment to a food plan and keeping to it. I also expressed concern for people who exercise only to justify eating 'badly'...which was in reference to junk foods. One of the folks who responded to that post did not like my comment and replied.

"Working out to eat additional calories is how MFP works."

Initially, I thought..."What?! MFP is about working out to eat additional calories?!!! I must be in the wrong place."

You see, I didn't come to MFP to become part of an exercise group. Far from it...I am handicapped and spend most of my time sitting in a wheelchair or desk chair. I have never belonged to gym. In fact, the last time I went to gym class was more than 50 years ago in high school.

Why did I choose to join MFP? Hmm? I was already trying to stick to a food plan and had lost a bit of weight, but I really didn't know the calories for some of my food. The meal replacement shakes and bars told me the calories in them, but my doctor wanted me to include some 'real food' in my plan. Then, someone mentioned calorie counting; and I didn't know the calories for anything. That's how it started!

I went online, typed in 'calorie counter'...and there is was..."Free Calorie Counter" on Myfitnesspal. So, I logged in and went right to the food diary section. I typed in my meal for that first day and was pleased at how easily I could look up the calories. Why, it even told me other things, like the amounts of sugar, fat, protein and such. I thought, "This is great."; and then, I set a goal of 1,000 calories per day. That seemed reasonable.

(Note: Some of you will freak out at that number. My doctor is following carefully with lab work and regular appointments. If I have a problem, he or I will make changes to my food plan. Remember...I am basically a lump in a chair that does 30 minutes of upper body exercise a few times per week. So, don't panic. I am not going to keel over from lack of food.)

Back to the subject...I had found my calorie counter. Then, I set about to do my profile and even made a post in the blogs for Introductions. I was done!

Then, someone asked me to be their friend on MFP. Okay...then another...okay...and another. Wow! This is a friendly group of folks, trying to lose weight. I even discovered some old friends and family members were also on MFP; and I never knew it, until I got here.

Fortunately, no one told me that I had to join a gym or record my time on a treadmill or even account for the fact that I wasn't working out daily. They just welcomed me and encouraged me to keep come back each day to log in on my food daily and say Hi. These new friends said encouraging words for my few posts and laughed at some of the silly things that I told them about my crazy husband and his ideas of eating healthy. They learned about me...the old lady in the wheelchair...whose goal was to get new knees and be able to walk again. I will admit that I decided to do some exercise (the Sit and Fit kind), since I joined MFP; but that wasn't my reason for coming here.

When I read those words this morning..."Working out to eat additional calories is how MFP works."...they made me sad. Then, I thought about it a bit more.

That's when I realized that I am probably more like the MAJORITY of the folks who come to MFP. I came here to count calories, to lose weight, to encourage others and to be encouraged along the way. However, I never came here to focus on working out. Until today, I never thought of MFP that way.

Did you?

What actually was your thinking, when you came to MFP? Was your focus on getting control of your food or working out to get in shape? Be honest.

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Everytime I would google some DVD with results MFP always came up.
    I finally joined.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I really like your posts. I do exercise but only three days a week. I joined to count calories, but I do eat more on the days I exercise. Not eating bad foods just more. I have maintained my weight for about 6 months. I still log in my calories but not every day. Good luck and keep logging in.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'm here to get control of the food. Logging what I eat has helped curb some of the binging problem that I have. Granted, I'm "hungry" a lot now, but am not as bloaty as before. I have a LOOONG way to go, and am working really hard at this. I'm impressed you've lost 20 lbs!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Everytime I would google some DVD with results MFP always came up.
    I finally joined.

Google can be a nag sometimes. :laugh:
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP because my doctor told me to. I must lose some weight or go on blood pressure medicine, which I do not want to do. I am exercising 7.5 hours a week. I know how to eat correctly, but I seem to need some kind of accountability. She thought this site might help me. So far - 5 days- it seems to be keeping me on the straight and narrow..

I do not eat those extra calories MFP says I can from the exercise. I worked hard to burn those calories up I don't need them back!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I joined because of the moving success stories. I just knew it had to be a positive influence on peoples lives and I wanted to be a part.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I joined MFP because my doctor told me to. I must lose some weight or go on blood pressure medicine, which I do not want to do.

Doctors...can't live 'em...can't live without them. You are avoiding medication. I am trying to qualify for new knees. The doctors are threatening you and 'holding out a carrot' for me. :grumble:
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    To hold myself accountable. I've always been a fan of healthy foods but had never really paid attention to things like portion size or not going back for seconds or sometimes thirds. Seeing the nutritional aspect in front of me for every snack and meal really helps.
  • dchannell
    Options
    I joined to become healthy. I joined after committing to remove sugar, artificial sweeteners, processed foods and all meats but chicken, turkey and fish from my diet to avoid more issues with my blood pressure and the onset of diabetes (my mom has type 2 and it runs in our family). I joined to gain control of my life for the first time in my life. And after 3 1/2 weeks, I have been able to achieve goals I've never been able to achieve in all my 55 years of dieting, weight loss surgery, diet pills, liquid diets, prepackaged diets, you name it. Not only does this program allow me to keep track of my calories, carbs, etc., but in tracking my sodium intake I have also managed to lower my blood pressure so much I will most likely have my bp meds cut in half next doctor's visit. Last summer I spent two months in a wheelchair after knee surgery and was determined to do something about my expanding everything once I could walk again. Baby steps and more baby steps later, I actually look forward to exercising in spite of the fact that the thing I find the least enjoyable about MFP is trying to add more calories to my meals after my workouts. Today is a good example. I set up my 1200 calorie plan for the day starting with a large and healthy breakfast. After my morning workout I had over 400 calories to add to my meal menus and after an afternoon cleaning stint (for my job) another 300. There is simply no way I could possibly consume that many more healthy calories no matter how many small meals I could eat. I settle for 1600 to 1700 on days like this but normally more like 1300 or 1400. I've lost 10 lbs. so far with 63 to go but I'm in no hurry. It is easy to look at it as though you exercise to eat more, I don't look at it that way but it is frustrating sometimes. I look at eating now as a way to fuel the engine to keep me moving, which in turn motivates me to keep moving. I feel healthy for the first time and I intend to keep doing what I'm doing to keep feeling that way. It isn't a means to an end, it's a way of life.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    because it was far easier keeping track of my food calories here than with that old notebook I used to use! Yeesh! That was exhausting!

now, why do I stay? Because this is the only place that people truely understand, will sympathize, and wont get bored of the weightloss/fitness talk in my life. Sorry, but friend on FB just do not care. My family gets it, but doesn't want to hear about it as often as I talk about it. My friends, are supportive, but seriously, no one cares as much about my weightloss and fitness as much as I do. At least around here... that's exactly what it is for; talking about this HUGE part of my life.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I joined because I have never been able to stick to tracking my calories and exercise before, but because I can do this on my Iphone, it's like a game to track everything. I love playing on my Iphone anyway so this is a great thing for me. I think it's something I'll actually stick with.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I joined because of the moving success stories. I just knew it had to be a positive influence on peoples lives and I wanted to be a part.

You're a positive influence on me. :heart:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't rule out exercise just yet. Even though you are limited now, there will be plenty of time to exercise when you get your new knees. When I came here I thought I was doing well with my resistance bands and 3 lb. weights. After reading about so many women my age and older doing more, I started doing more. Positive thinking is inspiring to others.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    To hold myself accountable. I've always been a fan of healthy foods but had never really paid attention to things like portion size or not going back for seconds or sometimes thirds. Seeing the nutritional aspect in front of me for every snack and meal really helps.

Accountability....That's a good word. :happy:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I joined to lose a few pounds, but also due to having had an unhealthy relationship with food for decades, resulting in various eating disordered behaviour and thought processes. I am using the site to try and find a balance and to learn more about nutrition and exercise since that is a longterm interest of mine.
  • butterflydrumm
    butterflydrumm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been counting calories and fat and carbs off and on for years. It was alot of work and the closer I would get to my goal I got lazy about it. Then my friend told me about my fitness pal and it scans food labels. That is so awesome. I started back again doing the calorie counting at the beginning of the year and this is the easiest food calculator that I have ever had and I love that it calculates other nutriton too. I did start this because of counting calories and I do workout too when I am counting the calories. I am an all or nothing kinda girl. I am more motivated to get to the gym so I can count more calories too. I love this app and I have it on my phone for free. I love this app like I love my kindle app. I even got my daughter hooked on it too.
  • 66MaryTatum
    Options
    I joined so I could learn more about nutrition and the balancing act of meeting those daily requirements. I love the way MFP adds in the exercise calories as you plan your foods for the day. I am planning more and making healthier choices at the grocery store.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I set up my 1200 calorie plan for the day starting with a large and healthy breakfast. After my morning workout I had over 400 calories to add to my meal menus and after an afternoon cleaning stint (for my job) another 300. There is simply no way I could possibly consume that many more healthy calories no matter how many small meals I could eat. I settle for 1600 to 1700 on days like this but normally more like 1300 or 1400. I've lost 10 lbs. so far with 63 to go but I'm in no hurry. It is easy to look at it as though you exercise to eat more, I don't look at it that way but it is frustrating sometimes.

I made the mistake of going onto the exercise log area. Suddenly, my food diary goal changed. I didn't like that at all. So, I went back into that exercise log and deleted everything that I could. Now, my food diary stays 'normal' and unchanged.

I do my exercises, when I want for as long as I can without bringing on pain. Knowing that I did my exercises and watching my weight go down is enough reward for me. I don't need to earn any extra snacks.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    because it was far easier keeping track of my food calories here than with that old notebook I used to use! Yeesh! That was exhausting!

I was drawing lines on a yellow tablet. Then, I had to try and add more lines, when my doctor asked to add regular food.
    now, why do I stay? Because this is the only place that people truely understand, will sympathize, and wont get bored of the weightloss/fitness talk in my life. Sorry, but friend on FB just do not care. My family gets it, but doesn't want to hear about it as often as I talk about it. My friends, are supportive, but seriously, no one cares as much about my weightloss and fitness as much as I do. At least around here... that's exactly what it is for; talking about this HUGE part of my life.

Yes. That is such a good point. People who are trying to lose weight tend to bore 'regular folks'. :smile:
  • CathyMW813
    CathyMW813 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The dietician that I have been working with suggested that I use mfp (I had never heard of it). It has been great to keep track of the calories. Seeing the nutritional values has really helped me make wiser food choices. Reading the success stories is also motivating.

I don't exercise so that I can eat more--I exercise to help lose weight and to tone. But I do eat some (not generally all) of my exercise calories back. I started the week before Thanksgiving (how crazy is that) and have lost 20#, so it has been a great site for me.