Ridiculous Food Inventions

Options
This evening I decided to have some rice. I had recently bought these little Minute Rice 60 second microwave cups (since I had a coupon, of course!) and thought it would go nicely with my steamed veggies. I should have read the package.

One serving of this stuff has 250 calories, complete with fat, sodium and more fun stuff. What??? It's RICE for crying out loud.
How can we take a universal staple of nutrition and turn it into junk?

But it got me thinking...what other ridiculous food inventions are we mindlessly buying and eating?

Replies

• rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs. They're evil.
  • theresab88
    theresab88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I think people assume salads are safe choices. Typically they are until restaurants kill them with a bunch of junk. Sometimes your better off getting a burger and fries!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Velveeta, and mayonnaise are my picks. They almost always have horrible ingredients, (hydrogenated oils, msg, high fructose corn syrup, etc) high fat and calories, and low nutrition.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Protein bars. The calories are outrageous!
  • clhous03
    Options
    There used to be a joke about the Entenmann's diet. You know, that brand of sweet foods with the label "Low Fat!" People bought them up thinking they were eating diet food and could not understand why they were gaining weight. They forgot to read the nutritional info that said that the products were extremely high in calories and carbs and factor that into the equation. Sheesh!
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Real mayo isn't so bad. Sure, it's high in fat, but, they are.. well, real fats. Anything that is a "type food" (cheese type food, mayonaise type spread, fruit type bar)......ick.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Protein bars. The calories are outrageous!

Agreed. These so called bars with umpteen ingredients that I can't even pronounce are supposed to be healthy???!!!