Weighed in this morning and I am up 3 lbs!!!!! Why?

Options
I worked out four times last week. I also didn't go over my calories for meals. Why did I gain??? Any thoughts
I am not going to panic and change things. I am going to stay the course. Hoping the scale will pay me back in the next couple of weeks.

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Water retention
  • mandy5135
    mandy5135 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Water retention
    EXACTLY
    especially if that was the first week you worked out
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    What kind of scale do you have? Does it measure your muscle mass? Were you dehydrated?

Don't freak out over one weigh in - don't celebrate one weigh in either. It's all about which way you are trending.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Scales are a-holes. They do that.

It's probably fluid. Weight can fluctuate as much as 5 pounds from day to day, even from morning to afternoon.

Recently I was so sick that I was running to the bathroom at least once per hour 24/7 for 2 days, and my weight went up 3 pounds. I don't know how that's even possible. I DEFINITELY wasn't retaining water; I was losing it! So who knows? The scales went back down again (now back up again).

We're after long-term trends so try not to let these ridiculous fluctuations mess with your mind too much.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I will gain up to 4 lbs in a few days for some odd reason, and then one morning will wake up to find that I am lighter than I was evev BEFORE that gain. So I have to wait a few days to see my real weight loss. Probably water retention. If you use up all the glycogen stores in your muscle from working out a lot, it somehow makes your muscle tissue retain water. Google glycogen and water retention
  • QueenBeenita
    QueenBeenita Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for responding. Yes it was my first week working out. Sounds like it may be water retention. :)
  • QueenBeenita
    Options
    I have a GNC scale that I ordered from Groupon. It actually talks to you. "Are you ready? Stand Stil, Your weight IS" LOL It probably is not as accurate as it should be. But i would just like to see a downward trend that's all. Maybe I shouldn't weigh every week. Thinking of doing every two weeks.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a GNC scale that I ordered from Groupon. It actually talks to you. "Are you ready? Stand Stil, Your weight IS" LOL It probably is not as accurate as it should be. But i would just like to see a downward trend that's all. Maybe I shouldn't weigh every week. Thinking of doing every two weeks.

That's awful, a scale that talks. Burn it. 1-2 weeks weigh in is a good amount if time
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in once per month, but that messed with my mind even more. A WHOLE MONTH of effort and my weight is up? Now I weigh myself ever 2-3 days, and it's up/down/up/up/down/down. I only record the weight when it goes down now because that's what I'm looking for. The ups can bite me!
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options

That's awful, a scale that talks. Burn it. 1-2 weeks weigh in is a good amount if time

lol im all in for a bonfire!!!
  • clhous03
    Options

I only weigh myself on the first of every MONTH. Also, your weight can fluctuate up to five pounds in the course of a day, so be sure to weigh yourself at a given time of day each time.
  • QueenBeenita
    Options

LOL @ Burn it :) Yes every two weeks may be better
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Haha, I'm just imagining a scale that chastises you whenever your weight creeps up a little. I would hate that scale, and would indeed want to burn it.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    throw away your scale and measure your hips, waist, biceps, thighs, etc
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    I weigh every two weeks now..one week just doesn't cut it. 3 pounds could easily be water retention.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Try and take the view that you are doing everything you can in terms of eating and exercise, for your health, and the scale will take care of itself. Better to focus on health,the mirror and how you feel physically, than on a number on a manmade machine.
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    "Burn it."
    HA! :D Try and drink as much water as possible, I can be 5lbs heavier when dehydrated!! Don't get discouraged, get some water in you!! :)
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hey queen,Our bodies are adjusting to all these lifestyle changes. I weighed at doctor today - im forgetting that number ;) i started with number on my scale and I'm sticking to it :tongue:
  • ashlensmomma
    ashlensmomma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I posted this exact same question a week after I had started on here lol. I freaked out, but I eventually learned how much salt was in my diet, and cut it back. I still fluctuate 2-3 lbs daily, but I know in the morning it will be gone.
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every night and morning. I've learned a lot about my body. I look for downward trends. When I have a three pound or even one pound uptick, I know it isn't real because I know I haven't gained a pound in 12 hours!