So done with Weight Watchers

Options
I've done checking around for a replacement to WeightWatchers Online for Men and I think MyFitnessPal will suit my needs quite nicely. I am annoyed that all the menu/meal items I had put together for WW couldn't be exported and then imported to another service, but that's OK - I'll drop those old lunch menu "meals" and start fresh with what I've learned. Besides - the WW Online sure did seem to be twitchy and buggy - dealing with scrolling meal item lists was always a keep-your-fingers-crossed kind of affair via the web or smartphone app.

Another big selling point for MyFitnessPal is its ability to bring in my FitBit Zip activity data when I synch up.

So, the main thing is to keep losing pounds, being disciplined in a work-out regimen and be more active. I started WW at 247 and I'm at 228 after a year. I have a gym membership but never go - that's a complete waste of money and really upsetting.

Glad to be here and looking to stay motivated and more energized for this new year. Cheers!

-*-Bill

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Now get thee to the gym!
  • OzarkMountainMan
    Options
    That's the beauty of MFP, it's not a diet like weight watchers but more of an informed consent menu plan.

You eat what you want as long as it fits in the total caloric intake for the day. It allows you to monitor what needs to be monitered for each individual.

I've found since I've been on MFP it's helped me a lot in choosing what to eat and what not to eat.

Much cheaper too!
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I found WW foods at the supermarket twice the price and surprisingly often had more cals,fat and sugar than other healthy option!!
    Go back to the gym do it NOW!!!! shop healthy and learn to read labels on food (you probably have with WW) Good luck!! you CAN do this :)
  • FitandTrim2013
    FitandTrim2013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I started a couple days ago myself. Ended my WW account the day I found this site. I agree with 'kjhugg' this is about more than just a diet-unlike WW-and provides great motivation.
  • helenheenan
    Options
    Just done exactly the same!!!!!!
    I've been an avid WW fan for over 5 years through out a selection of pregnancies, and to be fair it has worked for me.
    However I'm now just on maintenance and MFP can do that for me, with ease (LOVE that barcode scanner, WW has really missed a trick there), and for free! Oh, and with run keeper synced too then I don't even have to add my exercise credits, it does it all for me!
    Genius!
  • Linda8989
    Linda8989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Same here. I did lose 85 lbs through WW, but when it slowed down, I started doing the $$ math in my head and felt like I was just paying too much per pound! So I left there, have been here, and love it. It's a very supportive community and, as you said, WAY better database info. I have typed in the most obscure things and somebody already has it here in the database. Good luck and add me if you want. We're all in this journey together.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I tried WW at one point to but found that I liked MFP and the community better. Eating right and being active is the way to get your health back! Now Get back to the GYM!!! Lol!

Feel free to add me if you want another friend on MFP.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I too was a WW member. Very slow losses for me and here you learn fruits and veggies have a calorie associated with them. I love the database here and the message board is wonderful. I have learned so many things there and very supportive group of friends. And also, congrats on the weight loss! The money I have saved from WW meetings I use for eating healthier . Best to you and add me if you wish for a friend.
  • Charisma_Black
    Charisma_Black Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)

Good luck on your journey!
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think that both programs can work but you have to be willing to put in the effort to see the results. When I was logging on WW, I lost; when I stopped I gained. I happen to like the information provided on the MFP logging site better than the points system on WW. My wife prefers the WW approach. It is like your gym membership. If you don't actually go to the gym it is not doing you much good. If you don't like it, figure out something else that you will actually do and get moving. If you make a habit of recording on MFP it can work but if you do not get in the habit, it will not do much good. Your choice.
  • kazzyv
    kazzyv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like MFP firstly because its free, secondly because with the apps and computer access I can log in from anywhere - phone, ipad, laptop at home, computer at work.

Because I can log in frequently it is never too difficult to add in foods so I don't forget things. The more I log on the more I get motivated.

Linking to my Map my Walk app is great too.
  • juliecnw
    juliecnw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you can't do the gym find something else. Exercise does not mean running on a treadmill. Our local park offers an outdoor bootcamp, a walk/run fitness group, and a do it yourself track with stops for different exercises. Sometimes you can get a better deal than a typical gym membership (especially if you don't go). I like being outside except in the coldest weather (GA can get cold).
    I also have an exercise buddy that is not above using a bit of guilt.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I love Weight Watchers and lost 32lbs but I came here last week because if I could get something of the same or better quality for free then way not do it? LOL!
  • FiberJewels
    FiberJewels Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a female WW "flunkie" lost over 40 pounds many years ago, a move to another state and a huge life change, put 25 pounds back on. Could NOT drop any weight with the latest and greatest plan for over a year.

Been using Myfitnesspal for a month and added FitBit a couple weeks ago and have dropped 10 pounds...