Coconut water

Options
So I'm seeing that coconut water is the latest drink of celebs in their fitness regimen and I happened upon some in my local health food market.

What are your thoughts and experience with it? Would it be a good recovery drink post-workout?

I'm getting tired of water and jasmine green tea....I would like something else without added calories...and I don't do artificial sweeteners.

Replies

• fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    not sure about coconut water..i considered trying it and then i saw the price. lol more alternatives to water are propel (its sold bottled or individual powder packets) or more varieties of tea. tea is everyone's friend. :happy:
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    The best recovery drink I have found thus far is Chocolate Almond Breeze. Chocolate Milk is considered the best recovery drink. I just choose it in the form of Almond Milk. :)

Coconut water has a bit of a.....laxative effect. It might prove helpful. I don't know that I would want to pay that kind of money though.
  • haerickson
    haerickson Posts: 5
    Options
    I read all about it and purchased some to use instead of a recovery drink. IT WAS TERRIBLE! I am not a picky eater and even if it isn't great tasting I'll still eat/drink it. I also LOVE coconut! However, this stuff was disgusting and I'll never try it again. EEEeeeewwww. That's my ten cents on the issue.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    I love cococut water. 60 cals for 11oz. As a recovery drink it is good for muscles due to the high potassium.

Propel is artificially flavored, and chocolate milk and chocolate almond milk both are sweetened with sugar or cane syrup.

Coconut water: naturally sweet.

It is $1.39 for 11 oz. A 16oz propel or tea is $1.59, so the price is not a valid disqualifier. And the tea is generally sweetened or has caffeine. Now if you are making your own unsweetened herbal tea it is cheaper, but there is no nutrtional value and no recovery value. (Other than possible herbal benefit or antioxidants - also available in cocnut water.)

I haven't noticed a laxative effect..(?)

100% natural, made by Mother Nature, and it comes in a box or can - much better for the environment than plastic bottles.

I'm a fan of the Nutrition Diva, one of the Quick and Dirty Tips podcasters. She did a podcast/article about this exact topic.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-coconut-water-good-for-you.aspx

Interesting Facts:

Coconut Water is not the same as Coconut Milk.
    It has zero fat.
    It does have natural sugar.

From the website:

"Coconut water is the fluid that’s found in the cavity of the coconut when you crack it open. It contains no fat and is very low in calories, about 50 calories for one cup, most of them from natural sugars. In addition to water and sugar, coconut water also contains some minerals such as potassium and magnesium. In fact, as the websites will all tell you, coconut water has more potassium than a banana!

Basically, coconut water is like natural Gatorade. Like Gatorade, it contains water, simple carbohydrates (or, sugar), and electrolytes (or, minerals). Compared to a sports drink made with refined sugars, artificial flavoring, and blue food coloring, I’d say coconut water represents a solid upgrade. "
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I read all about it and purchased some to use instead of a recovery drink. IT WAS TERRIBLE! I am not a picky eater and even if it isn't great tasting I'll still eat/drink it. I also LOVE coconut! However, this stuff was disgusting and I'll never try it again. EEEeeeewwww. That's my ten cents on the issue.

I grew up in Florida, so the flavor is yummy to me. I don't like the coconut waters flavored with fruit, though. They taste weird to me.

I like Harvest Bay brand....you're right,some of them are yucky. And the ones in cans taste fake to me. The paper containers are best.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I've been using coconut water after my intense workouts for years. Love it, and I always feel great and ready to go. I've tried several brands, and like O.N.E. the best.
  • hymiesmom
    hymiesmom Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'm sure I'll give it a try! So many health benefits!

The store I shop at had them on sale 4 for $5 (in the paper container), which I thought was a deal...I had no idea they were so pricey! I think they do that to reel you in!

I saw the ones with fruit, but I really like food in it's simplest form...I also really like "earthy food", for a lack of a better way to describe it. But if tastes as awful as htoone says, then I don't care how cheap or nutritious it is...I'm not drinking it! :noway:
  • hymiesmom
    Options
    I've been using coconut water after my intense workouts for years. Love it, and I always feel great and ready to go. I've tried several brands, and like O.N.E. the best.

If it will make me look as great as you do...I'll buy it by the gallon!!!!
  • hymiesmom
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Nutrition Diva, one of the Quick and Dirty Tips podcasters. She did a podcast/article about this exact topic.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-coconut-water-good-for-you.aspx

I think this is my new fav website (after MFP, of course!)

Thanks!
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love coconut water. I got hooked in Bikram Yoga years ago (I don't practice anymore) but they used to sell it at the lobby.

Just thinking though, do you think its a good idea or has anyone tried mixing with protein powder? I'm wondering if it would be a good idea/flavor. Couse the extra protein would make it an even better after workout drink.

Thanks
  • AshKaur
    AshKaur Posts: 3
    Options
    I luv coconut water.
  • hymiesmom
    Options
    I love coconut water. I got hooked in Bikram Yoga years ago (I don't practice anymore) but they used to sell it at the lobby.

Just thinking though, do you think its a good idea or has anyone tried mixing with protein powder? I'm wondering if it would be a good idea/flavor. Couse the extra protein would make it an even better after workout drink.

Thanks

wow, I'm sure it's great after Bikram to rehydrate, especially since that's it main purpose! I'm to scared to try Bikram...I'd be the one puking my guts out!!:sick:

I don't see why you couldn't add in protein powder. How about you try it and let me know! hahaha
  • AshKaur
    Options
    Question: How do I show the weight loss ticker in my responses?
  • AshKaur
    Options
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options

If it will make me look as great as you do...I'll buy it by the gallon!!!!

Thank you! That's sweet of you to say. :bigsmile:

By the way, I also use it when I'm not feeling well -- like yesterday when I got food poisoning. It made me feel a lot better. :drinker: <
    there's coconut water in there! :tongue:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'm sure I'll give it a try! So many health benefits!

I saw the ones with fruit, but I really like food in it's simplest form...I also really like "earthy food", for a lack of a better way to describe it. But if tastes as awful as htoone says, then I don't care how cheap or nutritious it is...I'm not drinking it! :noway:

But, if six people say they like /love it and only one say they don't like it....majority wins? Right? Plus it's really god for you AND you found it on sale.

I used to not like tomatoes. Till I learned how good they are for me. Try it. You only live once.