Calories per day

Options
I keep seeing a lot of people posting about how 1200 calories/day is too little and you need to eat more to lose weight. I am only 5'0", and 1200/day keeps me satisfied, unless I workout, sometimes I then go over. Am I doing something wrong at 1200/day? Even though I'm only 5' and feel fine at 1200?? THANKS!

Replies

• waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Since you are so short there shouldn't be a reason why you can't eat at 1200 calories. I'm 5'6 and my BMR is around 1400 and when I eat over that, I gain really fast unless I'm doing cardio and weights like a mad(wo)man.
  • shirleydiva3
    Options
    I just started this program. I'm 1200 a day and i'm doing great. Not hungry at all. I had 2 snacks. I took a banana and a grapefruit and it also helped me gain more calories. I'm so glad my friend told me about this site. I'm having a problem getting enough calories. It's not eating too much it's what you eat. Those numbers add up fast.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well, depends on how much you weigh and how fast you want to/are losing weight. Did you plug your numbers into MFP's calculator? That's what I did and I lost weight and never felt hungry.

I see waaay too many people defend this 1200-calorie number. It's entirely arbitrary. You should absolutely be eating enough every day to maintain a reasonable bu steady loss.

At 5' I beleive you're probably fine with 1200. My wife is 5"6" and is set at 1400 or something per MFP to lose 1/2lb per week..
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've eaten under 1200 for over a year and seem to be losing just fine. There are a lot of haters who think and are willing to say, their way is the only "right" way but you'll learn fast that your diet is as personal to you as your body.
  • AnjellaRose_GF_SillyYak
    Options
    I had been trying to stay under 1200 but upped it to 1500, Hoping I can get this under control soon!!!
  • hthrhrpr
    hthrhrpr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it, it's good to see others ok at 1200 and see some results :)
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is one of the smartest posts I've seen in awhile. Thank-you for being so sane!!! Congratulations on your significant losses! You know your stuff!!!

-David
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is one of the smartest posts I've seen in awhile. Thank-you for being so sane!!! Congratulations on your significant losses! You know your stuff!!!

-David