Euthanasia: Should the right to die be granted?

Options
Euthanasia: Should the right to die be granted?

Let the debate begin :) ....

Replies

• hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    dd7f37f6f199.gif
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I believe in the right to die with dignity. We grant this to our pets when they are dying, so why not humans?
  • myers0machine
    Options
    But does one have the right to play god even as you say with pet's hmmm
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Humans can actually say if they want to die or not. Our pets don't have that luxury. I'm going to be facing that decision with my cat soon, I'm sure. I hate the idea of deciding if she wants to live or not.
  • HuskyMan3
    HuskyMan3 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I do not want anyone to tell me when I can or cannot die. I have a directive that states I will not be kept on life support if there is no chance of recovery (ie brain dead) but still being kep alive on life support. The only reason I would be kep alive is the selffishness of those around me to not let me go. If those around me truely love me, then they need to pull the plug. Because if they don't and for some reason I wake up, I am going to be really pissed. (sorry last sentence just adding a bit a leavity to the topic)
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i believe in the right for a thread to die.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

I don't call it "playing god". Better to go in a sedated state, then to spend days or weeks suffering.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    Humans can actually say if they want to die or not. Our pets don't have that luxury. I'm going to be facing that decision with my cat soon, I'm sure. I hate the idea of deciding if she wants to live or not.

As sad as it is to have to make that choice, I think our pets trust us and in some ways, they let us know when it's time. The day before my fiance's cat went catatonic and we made the choice to euthanize, she, in her weakened state, managed to crawl on top of us when we were getting ready to sleep. She laid on us for a bit and was purring. I think that was her way of letting us know that it was time.
  • carneson3
    Options

I don't call it "playing god". Better to go in a sedated state, then to spend days or weeks suffering.

...Or years for that matter. Especially when there is no hope for recovery and you are literally just waiting for death in the hopes that their suffering will end.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.