Feeling Useless

Options
Hi Everyone.

Sorry to have a whinge on here infront of you all but i've just done my day one of the 30 day shred.

I feel so pathetic and useless because i couldnt do all of it properly because i have a lower leg injury where my bones are held together with metal and ligaments wired up so im not allowed to jump or move it into awkard positions. I did my very best and still worked up a sweat but when i was finished i just burst into tears as i feel i wont achieve anything by not doing it 100%

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You have accomplished what few people can lay claim to, You ACTUALLY participated in the 30 day shred, Which, as self punishing as I am, would never dream to take on. You ROCK!!

That you can't perform the movements yet is just an indication that you need to get stronger and have more endurance than you have right now, and if you keep trying you will only get better.

Instead of being disappointed in your lack of ability, cheer for yourself as a champion of someone who is actually DOING something about getting stronger and more fit, and actually doing something about your body!

Cause I think you're a champion..
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch"

I think that sums it up fairly well. You will get stronger with time, injury or no. Great job pushing through :)
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    30DS is no joke. Not many people can do everything right off. I am doing it for the 3rd time & it has been a while so I had to drop to lighter weights. I also have to modify some of the exercises due to a bad hip. Do what you are able. Modify with sonething as similar as possible.

Most importantly don't give up. You an do it.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for support, you have it.
    It is shocking how many people will use every excuse to not do what you have already decided to do.
    Congratulations on making the best of your temporary situation and carry on.
    Useless? Not.
  • VickiLynnD57
    Options
    When I started MY journey in 2012, I had a rough time walking from my home to the mailbox, I do have a long driveway BUT I have to tell u that NOW I am doing walks of 3.3 miles & longer..... It takes TIME, PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE.....YOU, will, and need to go at your own pace....adjust ANY workout to what YOU, CAN do.....

Don't get discouraged, it WILL get better I promise you!!!!!!!
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You don't want to push it so much that you make your existing leg injury worse. Work around it for now. Do what you can. And do not feel badly if you can't do it all 100% yet. The fact that you are trying to do it to the best of your current ability is wonderful. So don't give up -- just don't push it too hard! You can't get into the ring with a pro fighter and hope to win; so know your limits as they are TODAY.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

Sorry to have a whinge on here infront of you all but i've just done my day one of the 30 day shred.

I feel so pathetic and useless because i couldnt do all of it properly because i have a lower leg injury where my bones are held together with metal and ligaments wired up so im not allowed to jump or move it into awkard positions. I did my very best and still worked up a sweat but when i was finished i just burst into tears as i feel i wont achieve anything by not doing it 100%

OMG! Don't feel that way!! 30 DS is hard! I'm on day 8 and it's still hard.Just take your time and do what you can.The ab work alone on the DVD is worth it.
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I did the 30ds there were a couple of exercises that I couldn't do because of injuries - I just switched those with some of the other exercises in the video. You can still succeed just by doing what you can do in the video. Don't give up, and just modify it to work for you. You got this!
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am doing 30 day shred as well and girl Jillian is no joke! I don't do all the moves the way she does and I feel like a fat kid at fat camp 3 minutes into the workout but we're doing it! Some people won't even try it but we are! Give yourself a break and keep with it, you will get better and so will I!
  • thnksfrthmmrs
    thnksfrthmmrs Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the support and motivation to keep going!

I was on the verge of giving up but no, i wont! I CAN do this, even if it is a bit slower!!

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Definitely find modifications. Which moves are you unable to do maybe people here can give you good alternatives that work the same muscle groups in a different way that may help. You are doing what you can which is more then doing nothing and overall you will be strengthening your leg.
  • auntiejack
    auntiejack Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don't think about what you didn't do think of what you did do.

And remember slow and steady wins the race
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There is no need to feel down on yourself but actually the opposite you should feel very proud of yourself. Most people use these things as an excuse to quit, but you kept going. There is nothing wrong with modifying to fit your body. I have a plate and 5 screws on one side of my ankle and 2 screws on the other. While walking is no problem for me, any kind of jumping causes great pain, so I modify the jumping to bouncing on my DVDs. I dont look at it as a failure, I look at it as I KEPT MOVING.

You are doing great and should be very proud.
  • thnksfrthmmrs
    Options
    The moves I'm having trouble with in particular are the jumping Jack's and lunges. With the lunges I just don't put as much pressure on my knee but the jumping Jack's I'm not sure what modification can be made. I did do them but was worried my leg might break again!
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qt5Vy_EnoU

I have seen jumping jacks done like this on many workout dvds as low impact modifications such as on turbo fire, chalean extreme, etc. Also would this type of lunge be better for you since it is not as static?
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Nope, you aren't useless. You are wise. You know your body, you know what motions are safe or unsafe, you evaluated each move in the video, and you made adaptations as needed. That's wisdom. So there are a few moves that you do differently from the video. So what? You're still moving, you're still burning calories, you're still building muscle. The moves in exercise videos are not written in stone, they guide us. But a wise person knows when a move is not right for them and does not put themself in damger of injury. Keep doing what you're doing.

Maybe go back through it and mentally mark those spots. Then mentally think of alternatives that you can do each time the 'bad' moves come along. That way you won't end up just standing there and won't end up feeling bad.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Completely off topic...but even though I live in Southern California, I work around sooooo many people from England, that I knew what "winge" meant....CHEERS!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    But you did it! How is that useless? Glad you feel better. See what would have giving up acomplished?
  • thnksfrthmmrs
    Options
    Thank you all again for taking the time to reply to me, I'm going to have a look at that you tube vid in a sec when I work out how to!

and I'm really pleased I haven't given up, tomorrow I'm going swimming to warm up my muscles and then do day 2 of the shred as I haven't been home all week! I'll be sure to let you know how I got on!
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Don't give up just do the best you can.

I had an elbow injury a few years ago and therefore cannot lift as heavy with my left arm as I can my right. Also repeated bending and movement kills me.

I just do the best I can to build up my left arm without overdoing it and causing further injury.

As for jumping jacks you can stand in place and move one leg out, tap the floor and alternate. That is what they have us do in aqua class for people with knee issues.