With or Without a trainer?!?!?

Options
I was wanting to see who all on here lost their weight with a trainer and who lost their weight without a trainer! Every time I see a trainer at the gym with someone I really wish I had one. I can't afford one right now so I would really like to prove to myself that I can lose weight without a trainer...

So how much did you lose and how and was it with or without a trainer?!?!?!?

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I lost 57 lbs so far without a trainer - and have been on and off MFP

I only think a trainer is worth it if you are trying to learn a weight lifting regiment and want someone to show you - otherwise I personally think going it alone is the way to go. That being said if you get arent familiar with resistance training and you can get a trainer who will show you compound lifts with appropriate form its probably worth it - but man some of the things I see trainers having people do makes me wonder :P
  • Losing2Live1989
    Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have lost all of my weight without a trainer.
  • successleadstosuccess
    Options
    I would also suggest without a trainer! Gyms usually have staff that can set you up with a great plan, and assist you on any questions about using the machines.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I really don't know that a trainer can do anything more for you than be an *kitten* kicker. You can do it on your own, but be sure to follow a respected plan (Body for Life, New Rules for Lifting, etc).
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start weight lifting so I had a trainer when I first started. I was very lucky though because I got 6 free lessons from the university I attend and after that I just bought a book (New Rules of Lifting For Women) and now I do it on my own. I go to the YMCA in my city and the staff has always been really great about showing me any moves I'm not sure about or something new I'm trying.
  • Losing2Live1989
    Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall have gave me a lot of hope!
  • TillyNix
    TillyNix Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can hire a trainer once a month to do an evaluation and built a program for you and show you how to do the exercises. It would cost between $50 to $65 for one hour. You don't need to be with the trainer every time you go to the gym.

I hired one because I knew I needed to do exercises but didn't know what to do. She makes me a different program about once a month, explained how to progress with variations of the exercise, adding weight, lowering repetitions and with endurance capacity, she shows me how to do them in a good position. I am lucky because she is also a therapeutic doctor and my insurance pays for the receipt.

To answer your questions, I lost 26 pounds since august with her and MFP. My initial goal was actually to have more energy and losing weight was just a secondary effect :-)