WHOA. Totally lost. Seasoned bodybuilders, PLS SAVE ME.

Options
Wow, okay. So, here I am, a ripe, eager student, totally ready to try strength training along with the right nutrition for training (absolutely NO EXPERIENCE), with no idea whose research to trust. Seriously, there is SO much conflicting information out there, some of it, if not most of it, HAS to be misinformation. I need the truth, I am desperate to know where I can begin!

When I say I am not experienced, I mean, I just tried to do a few push-ups, and could only do 5 before I literally, physically fell on my face trying to do the sixth. I'm not seriously overweight at 5'7 and 160 lbs. It's just that I'm as weak as a toddler.

I understand that muscles bring with them a much better, faster metabolism, and that right there is my motivation for strength training. And, of course, the fact that I am embarrassingly weak in my current state. My goal weight is whatever looks best on me; as far as I can guess, that is somewhere around 130 lbs.

I'm currently doing what I can through a bit of yoga and Pilates to get myself strong enough to enter a gym without looking like the weakest one in there. As of right now, I don't even need weights to feel like I'm getting stronger, haha. It's that bad... my daily calorie goal is set at 1300, and all I know for a fact is that I need protein, however, I have no idea how much I need for proper muscle building and strength training. I need a clear-cut set of guidelines on how much of each element I should consume each day!

I'd really appreciate some expert input on this! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Read the New Rules Of Lifting for Women. Get in the gym now if you want to be there rather than waiting until you're "strong". If you're going to heavy lifting you'll likely need to eat a little more - but I'll let the experts weigh in on that. :smile:
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    the simplyshredded guide linked already is a good place to start - any sort of starting strength pdf is a good idea, be wary of forums because there is so much conflicting information.

Try and stick to compound movements when you start - and go light would be my general suggestion. People will give you conflicting information on the amount of protein to eat per pound of lean weight etc - but you don't need to stress about that too much right now.
  • alexluong
    alexluong Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    just lift heavy and take a multi brah.
  • treehouse75
    treehouse75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for New Rules of Lifting for Women... it was a great starting point for me, and came highly recommended from several friends when I asked the same questions you are asking now.
  • Tlove1111
    Tlove1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Simplyshredded is very helpful! Also check out Jamie Eason's LiveFit. Here's the link
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html :smile: