personal trainer screw up!?!?

Options
So I met with the personal trainer at my gym and did an evaluation on my current health and fitness status. After discussing my goals he tells me for the next two weeks he wants me to eat 1100 calories over three meals and then we will work our way up by uping the cals and adding snacks/meals. Now I'm weary of this but the other part says trust him cause he is a personal trainer. Even though I know there are tons of different ways you can be certified to work in a gym.basically what are ya'lls opinions of this advice he gave!?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My first reaction?

tumblr_mb4p56YgHZ1rfja63o1_500.gif

But, I don't know anything about you - your current stats, how much you want to lose, what sort of workouts you're are or will be doing, etc. So my first reaction is no way, 1100 isn't enough for the average gal, or almost any gal, except in certain circumstances and maybe under a doctor's supervision....and the "industry standard" for women is a minimum of 1200 per day.

I bet your BMR is higher than 1100, and if you burn that many calories while you're comatose, then my feeling is you need a few more while you're awake, upright, moving through your day. But like I said, I don't know all your info.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10 and 150 pounds I want to loose roughly 20 pounds and tone and lose inches. I have done my bmr and it is def more then 1100.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    1100 is fine if you dont eat nutritionally-void foods. You're basically a small child!
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    With only needing to lose 20lbs, even with your height, 1100 sounds pretty drastic to me. I know you said he's planning to add more calories after two weeks, but what's the point of starting with such restrictions? Especially when 1100 is below your BMR....
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    your net after exercise AND food for your day should be 1100 - 1200. You currently need 1500 x 10 + exercise calories for a base calorie intake to maintain. If you ate 1400 calories a day and exercised that would be safer, but netting 1100 is doable with will power.

With specific macronutrient ratios and micronutrient supplements this is doable. I doubt your trainer knows what he's doing. YOur trainer sucks. Hire me instead.
  • Amanda82691
    Options
    With only needing to lose 20lbs, even with your height, 1100 sounds pretty drastic to me. I know you said he's planning to add more calories after two weeks, but what's the point of starting with such restrictions? Especially when 1100 is below your BMR....

Well that was my thought especially if I'm looking to reach a point where its a healthy balanced lifestyle not a diet why the drastic cut!? I was expecting him to say like 1500 but he said even after two weeks its gonna be 1300 I'm just really uneasy about such a drastic cut.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say BEST GIF EVER
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer to lift ... he doesn't give me diet advice because he's not a registered dietician. He'll get upset if he sees me pork out but that has yet to happen :bigsmile:

Maybe, just follow his exercise advice, proper form, etc. That is why I use my trainer for. Plus I was always nervous to go in the weight room at a large gym. Now I have an entire studio to myself for an hour twice a week.
  • beautifulcat
    beautifulcat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    don't do it~!! 1100 calories would most likely put you in starvation mode. you could lay in bed all day and burn that. I don't know this trainer but seems to me he might be screwing with your calories so you have to keep going to him because when you add back in it could stall you and then you will be thinking your not working hard enough and you need him to help you. I am only 5ft and my nutrionist has me at 1800 calories but I have alot of muscle and workout twice a day.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer, but he never started by giving me nutritional information until he and I worked together for a while. This trainer is doing you a disservice by giving you such a restrictive start. IMO he's unintentionally setting you up to fail - long term.
  • greginnd
    greginnd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I may get criticized for this but I don't think going to a low calorie diet, even 1100 calories for 2 or 3 weeks is harmful. I wouldn't go longer than that. Starvation mode is not as simple as people think. In just a couple of weeks you will not starve.
  • disdatdude
    Options
    It's only a few hundred calories less than many other people are eating. Just ditch all of the sodas and juice. Water only. Get rid of sugar while you're at it. Eat large Salads or Veggies (sides).

It's only a week. Other than some stomach rumbling I don't see the real harm. If you actually have 20lbs to get rid of, I would think that your body will burn that before you go into starvation mode :-)
  • disdatdude
    Options
    Oh, make sure you eat slow and pay attention to the salad dressing you use. You're 4-10 so you don't have a huge frame to power :-)
  • Amanda82691
    Options
    I may get criticized for this but I don't think going to a low calorie diet, even 1100 calories for 2 or 3 weeks is harmful. I wouldn't go longer than that. Starvation mode is not as simple as people think. In just a couple of weeks you will not starve.

No I see ur point and I agree I don't think doing it for a small period of time will do significant harm but I don't think it will do any good either.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    Maybe not harmful over the short term, but it still sucks! :tongue: Why eat so little and probably end up hungry when you can eat more and still have good results? That's my take on it.
  • Amanda82691
    Options
    Maybe not harmful over the short term, but it still sucks! :tongue: Why eat so little and probably end up hungry when you can eat more and still have good results? That's my take on it.

Also agree!!! :)
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options

No I see ur point and I agree I don't think doing it for a small period of time will do significant harm but I don't think it will do any good either.

There is research showing that diets that start out with a large deficit to "jump start" the overall plan have lower rates of "recidivism" than if you start out without that little boost.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take nutrition advice from a personal trainer unless they had some other certification. That is not their area.
  • Amanda82691
    Options

There is research showing that diets that start out with a large deficit to "jump start" the overall plan have lower rates of "recidivism" than if you start out without that little boost.

Is this sarcasim lol
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like the advice that A) he's a personal trainer not a registered dietician (or is he?) and B) try to shoot for something closer to 1400 and make sure you get a little cardio most days. In my opinion, your net should not be less than 1200. Having said that, I'm quite a bit taller than you are and I know there is no way I could do it on 1200 or less.

If you are not comfortable going super against his advice, at least shoot for 1200 and keep a journal of your eating AND your hunger and if you have periods of being hungry you should A) eat and B) journal that so you can show him that you need to be eating more than this.