Running

Options
Last year I started running to help lose weight. Before i got sick, I was able to get up to 2 miles at 6mph pretty quick. I'm currently 5'8"and 154.5 lbs. I'd like to get to about 140. I noticed though that I was getting bigger the more I ran. Now that I am better, I would like to start running again, but I really don't want to start putting on more weight. I def. want to be able to work up to more miles, and a higher speed. Was I doing something wrong? Any helpful ideas?
Thanks
Jessica

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I always gain a bit when I run a lot. No idea why but it's worth it because I usually lose inches and feel a lot better.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    one of three options i can think of really:
    a) you are putting on muscle, gaining muscle quickly would be difficult..
    b) its water weight. does it fluctuate at all, or hold pretty steady? do you drink enough water, hows your sodium intake?
    c) too many calories. I actually have a friend that ran his first full marathon, and GAINED weight in the process. hes always big a big guy, but he gained fat pounds for sure. I see his social media posts, and in his case its all diet. he runs all the time but his diet is total junk.. burgers, pizza, beer, etc.

I try to not focus on the number on the scale alone. as another poster wrote, go more by how your clothes fit, and how you feel. I take several measurements and track them in a spreadsheet. Including several measurements with tape measure, scale weight, and I get a DEXA scan to test my body fat every 6 months..
  • celb500
    celb500 Posts: 76
    Options
    I actually puton quite a lot when i run because my thighs which are huge turn to puremuscle. I read in a magazine that I should lose all the fat I want to without running then start running and rebuilding my muscle once ive done this.i dont know how true this is though.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Were you tracking calories accurately at the time you were running and still gaining weight. For how long did this gaining last?
  • GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    its weird, i've been training for a month now for a half marathon. running about 24k a week, and i've put on about 3 pound in that time! i'm putting it down to the increase in my appetite even though i haven't really ate over the calories i have set.
    don't worry about it, focus on the running is the only advice i can give!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My body retains water when I run. I honestly don't rehydrate enough. My suggestion would be to go ahead and run, but make sure you're getting LOTS of fluids and keeping sodium fairly low. Also, if running's making you hungry, watch what and how much you're eating... A couple of sweaty miles don't give you a free pass on your diet!
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I gain weight temporarily when I run hard. For example, I raced a half marathon yesterday and I'm up today about a pound and a half.

But by the end of the week, that will be gone, and probably a little more too.

I am proof that you can lose weight while training for a marathon. You juts have to be really honest about what you eat. And you can't think "oh, I can eat whatever I want because I run so much." You can't.
  • fivecardstudpts
    fivecardstudpts Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No, I was running before I started to track all my calories. I just started MFP a couple weeks ago. I was going a little bit by the scale, and b how my clothes fit. I know it's also wrong lol, but I also started to eat less which I'm sure didn't help either. I've figured out what I need to calories at this point, but I wasn't sure if weight gain was common.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Last year I started running to help lose weight. Before i got sick, I was able to get up to 2 miles at 6mph pretty quick. I'm currently 5'8"and 154.5 lbs. I'd like to get to about 140. I noticed though that I was getting bigger the more I ran. Now that I am better, I would like to start running again, but I really don't want to start putting on more weight. I def. want to be able to work up to more miles, and a higher speed. Was I doing something wrong? Any helpful ideas?
    Thanks
    Jessica

The hard truth. Too many calories. The more you run the harder it is to keep the weight on but running isn't a magic bullet to losing weight. Unless you're doing something like 25 miles a week you're going to need to keep tracking calories so you don't over eat. If you're doing that much you need to track calories so you make sure and eat enough.

Keep up the running but you need to make sure you keep up with the nutrition side of exercise. Don't slack off totally just because you work out. You can have some water retention for muscle recovery the day after a hard run but don't blame getting bigger on running. That's all diet related.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My weight always fluctuates while training for races and my longer distance runs. A lot of it has to do with lactic acid and water retention, but a lot also has to do with the caloric demands of my body after long runs. The biggest thing for me is to make sure that I'm eating good amounts all day long (not storing calories for the end of the day and then binging), being aware and realistic about what I'm taking in and how active I am when I'm not running - sure I may run a half marathon in the morning, but if I sit on the couch for the rest of the day I'm not really burning as many calories as I think!- and adjusting my calorie consumption daily based on my exercise levels.

Mostly I just don't worry about the scale and bring out the measuring tape. After all how I look is more important than the number.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what iWaffle said. Running can trigger appetite. It's not uncommon to experience weight gain.
    Plus, I always notice my legs get a little bigger when I start back after a lay off. It is simply water retention and will even out.

I actually puton quite a lot when i run because my thighs which are huge turn to puremuscle. I read in a magazine that I should lose all the fat I want to without running then start running and rebuilding my muscle once ive done this.i dont know how true this is though.

Not true!! It is much harder to put muscle on than it is to lose fat. Plus when you are losing fat, you also lose some muscle. The best option is to try to maintain muscle and lose fat.
  • levicrouch
    Options
    I agree, running isn't a magic bullet. It is part of a healthy lifestyle. If you want to lose fat, you have to deficit calories. Add up your caloric intake and subtract your calories burned for the day (MFP does this for you) and make sure your net calories are at some sort of deficit.

As you exercise the conditions may change (depending on your goals). When I ran 10 miles 2 months ago, I weighed ~200lbs and burned 2200 calories. Yesterday, i ran the same 10 miles and only burned 1537 calories, my weight was ~185.

The only difference is that I weighed less, as a result, my heart (and other muscles) didn't have to work as hard to go the same distance.

So, if i assume that when i run 10 miles that i burn 2200 calories, I would be over-eating and would gain weight.

[EDIT]: I am still learning this myself, but your heart rate during exercise also determines where your body gets it's energy. It sounds like you are running fast and likely operating at a higher heart rate. During that sort of exercise your body is not able to burn as much stored fat for fuel. The slower speeds and lower heart rate running\walking will burn more stored fat for fuel during the exercise.

However, If you deficit calories less than what your body needs, your body will still burn stored fat for fuel when you are not at a high heart rate.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No, I was running before I started to track all my calories. I just started MFP a couple weeks ago. I was going a little bit by the scale, and b how my clothes fit. I know it's also wrong lol, but I also started to eat less which I'm sure didn't help either. I've figured out what I need to calories at this point, but I wasn't sure if weight gain was common.

Wiht calories not being tracked during that time I'd say the most likely culprit is consuming too much food. Running is intensive and can drive a hearty appetite. Try running again when your ready and I think with your new eye to tracking you will see better results.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Yep, too much food. If you were running 2 miles at a time, that's going to burn 200-300 calories at the most. Running is a great way to burn calories, but until you get up to longer distances, it's not going to burn as much as you think it is.
  • valmb2
    valmb2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So as your best friend, I know you are not eating too much. You have a very physical job and also do MMA 5 days a week. LOVE YOU!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements and body fat or relying on scale and how you feel? Also, since your food diary isn't open, how many calories are you eating? And are you using a HRM to determine calorie burn or another way?
  • fivecardstudpts
    fivecardstudpts Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ok, opened my diary, so maybe people can tell me if I am doing something wrong. Although please realize that I JUST started tracking my calories. I was running before, I'm hoping to start running again, I just don't want to make the same mistakes. And Val, thanks!
    Jessica