Nothing, I see nothing happening?

Options
It's been over a month since I've been on MFP and am discouraged by the results. I was expecting to lose at least 6 pounds by now, but it's only been 2 pounds lost. I am 150 pounds right now and am looking to be 135.

I've been eating 1400 calories everyday, I work out every other day and it's a mix of resistance and cardio. When I go to the gym, it's 20 minutes machine weights and 45 minutes running. When I'm not at the gym, I'm at home doing pilates workouts and squatting/lunging till my legs nearly give out. I have barely been eating any junk food, if anything, it has been a pop tart here and there and granola bars. I drink a berry/protein smoothie almost every day. Why is my weight loss so slow?

I can't really think of anything except for that fact that I already have a good amount of muscle mass and it's just really hard for me to lose weight, but I wouldn't think that it is this slow.

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    1. 2 lbs is a lot.
    2. you don't have much to lose, so set your expectations lower as to speed of weight loss.
    3. Focus on inches instead of weight.
    4. Be patient, I have lost 8 lbs since August, slow and steady wins the race.
    5. Try eating more and strength training.
  • KTwalksThePlank
    KTwalksThePlank Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My weight and weight goal is the same.
    When I lost weight before, I had the same problem at first, then after talking to my doctor about it he said this:

Do thirty minutes of hardcore cardio before doing the rest of the workout. If your heart rate is up, you'll be burning more calories while doing pilates and strength training because your body won't feel like it's at rest.
  • pwrpufgirlz
    pwrpufgirlz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have for you is to go by measurements and not by the scale. I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say you are probably building muscle mass. Do your clothes fit better?
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    typically the less you have to lose, the harder it is to lose. and perhaps you're putting on muscle as well as losing fat.

get yourself measured, and keep track of your inches. i'm sure you're losing inches, which can be hard to see without keeping track
  • KTwalksThePlank
    KTwalksThePlank Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also agree with Uber.
    My husband lost probably 6 inches around his waist, but GAINED 4 pounds. *shrug.*
  • sarahmctaggart
    sarahmctaggart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would recommend increasing your food intake for the extra calories you are burning with your exercise. Sometimes it can have the reverse effect if you are not eating enough.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Are you diligent with measuring your food and do you wear a heart rate monitor? My weight loss was very slow going and stagnant for long periods of time before I invested in a good food scale and HRM. Then the whole game changed.

You don't have much to lose so it will come off more slowly.

Also, if you're working out that intensely make sure you are eating your exercise calories back so that you're netting 1400 calories per day and not just eating 1400 calories a day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You don't have that much to lose, so you have to set realistic expectations. The closer you get to your goal the slower your loss should be. It sounds like you're losing at a good pace considering. I lost my last 15 lbs or so at a rate of .5 lbs per week.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I do try to eat most of my calories back, but sometimes I can't eat all of it. Plus, my clothes have not been fitting better. If anything, they have been feeling tighter. I definitely feel healthier, but there is no physical change in my body.
  • Fuzz610
    Fuzz610 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think you and I have the same problem. I'm trying to get rid of 15 lbs.and have stopped cold at 6 lbs.
    But my clothes are fitting better so I know something good is happening! Keep it up whatever you do is
    making you healthy right?!
  • Fuzz610
    Fuzz610 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to understand why you have to eat the workout calories back.
    Isn't less cal. less weight?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    1. 2 lbs is a lot.
    2. you don't have much to lose, so set your expectations lower as to speed of weight loss.
    3. Focus on inches instead of weight.
    4. Be patient, I have lost 8 lbs since August, slow and steady wins the race.
    5. Try eating more and strength training.

Ditto.
    I had a small amount to lose and don't think I,lost much of anything the first month. But by the end of 5 months I lost an average of 2 pounds a month, which was about my goal to lose per month. I am slowing down even more now as I am a couple pounds from maintenance.
  • sarahmctaggart
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to eat all of your exercise calories but they are there if your body needs them. I find your body will tell you if you need to fuel it. What commonly happens is people will only eat 3 meals a day so if you are having 5-6 hour breaks between meals your body goes into starvation mode and will store what you eat (ie. the reverse effect).

Listen to your body and fuel it with clean foods when required - the less processed the better.
  • sarahmctaggart
    Options
    Refer to my comment below but basically treat your body as a machine. If you don't keep it fueled it will just store what it does take to survive - it is a very smart thing!
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself?
    I just did again, and loss 1 inch in 1 month.. which encourages me to keep with my plan.

Keep with your plan! Don't give up, and measure yourself today then check back in a month. :)
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    But I'll for sure start measuring myself. As for the exercise calories, I eat them back because I get hungry after a workout which is why I don't eat it all back.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to eat all of your exercise calories but they are there if your body needs them. I find your body will tell you if you need to fuel it. What commonly happens is people will only eat 3 meals a day so if you are having 5-6 hour breaks between meals your body goes into starvation mode and will store what you eat (ie. the reverse effect).

Listen to your body and fuel it with clean foods when required - the less processed the better.

Oh wow!! I knew the starvation mode myth was getting out of hand but I did not know that some people are under the belief that 5-6 hours between meals will throw your body into a starvation panic!

That actually made me lol a little bit. I'm sure the poster meant well but the terminology is a bit mixed up I think
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    1. It has only been a month, give it time and continue to be consistent.
    2. Did you start out at 1400 calories? If so, maybe its time you upped them if you burn a lot during your workouts.
    3. Are you making sure your accurate when you log your food? I recommend getting a scale, most people underestimate.
    4. There will be weeks that you will lose a little, a lot, or none at all. Dont get discouraged.
    5. I would consider upping your strength to 30-45 minutes and lowering your cardio, try HIIT.
    6. DONT give up. Keep switching things up and you will find what works best for you.
  • ricky_j_b
    ricky_j_b Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    at this rate in 7 months you will have lost 15lbs or so,,,if you are happy with the rest,then stay the course,you are on a slow and steady course,,,,focus on the possitive,you lost 2 lbs in a month,,,,awesome!!!
  • Stacimfit
    Stacimfit Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Omg was that me that wrote this post?? I'm so glad you brought this up because I'm having a hard time to! I've always been all muscle so when I workout I feel like a brick. I hope you can figure out how to shrink your size but I did also read that its best to count inches not weight in this circumstance... I'm not much help to your question but I'm in the same boat and glad you posted this. Feel free to add me if you would like. Id love to figure this journey out together.