Who's using Very Active/Strenuous activity level?

Options
How or why did you choose this over Moderately Active? Number of hours or number of days working out, or more to do with daily life activity level, like from your job?

I posted this in general help forum too, but I meant to put it here.

Replies

• hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Because I run 40+ miles a week, weight train at least 3 times a week plus occasionally play soccer/basketball/volleyball/ultimate

Pretty sure that qualifies as very active
  • MLMercer2010
    MLMercer2010 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hmm I had an issue with my level of activity
    I cycle commute to work every day and then ride 50 km on the weekends - that equates to a solid 2 hours of cardio a day, but the rest of my time I am very sedentary - so I chose sedentary. My job involves sitting as a desk and much of my relaxation time is spent on my but too... I would think that, with the way this site/app is designed, you should look at what you do for most of every day, rate that from sedentary - active, and add in the exercise after as separate entries, or you will be accounting for it twice wouldn't you?
  • massivediet
    massivediet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this too. Here's what I think, but I am still a little confused about the activity levels:

If you set your daily activity to active based on the commute but then also log the commute, you'll overeat I think. So you're saying that you'll burn 2100 a day, for example, when sedentary would only be 1700, and then also logging 400 exercise calories. That could do away with your deficit or greatly reduce it.

If you wear a fitbit or something of that nature, I think the only reason to choose very active is to get a greater built-in deficit. It's like choosing not to eat back exercise calories. You say you usually burn 2500 and then burn 2500, eat 1200=1300 deficit, whereas if you say you'll burn 2000, burn 2500, eat 1700=800 deficit.

I had mine set to sedentary, which was around 1800 calories at the time. I wear a fit bit and noticed that I was burning a lot more than that on most days when I did not do intentional workouts, just from walking around at work and doing chores at home. I thought I would lose too slowly if I had to eat back all the daily activity calories. I set it to moderate, which was about right for non-workout days according to the fitbit. Then I had what seemed like a bright idea at the time, but I'm not so sure: I set it to very active. What this does is keep about 250 workout calories from being added to my daily total. This way, if I work out and burn 500 calories, I only get 250 added to the 1200. If I work out but less than 250, I get nothing added.