Question about protein...

Options
I seem to keep going over my protein grams for the day. I'm at or below calorie intake, fat, and carbs daily. Will the extra protein result in slower weight loss, or weight gain?

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    always go over protein!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Up your protein percentage, then you won't go over anymore.

It's a good thing. Unless you have kidney disease, it would be very difficult to get too much protein unless you were specifically trying to.
  • shivouel
    Options
    The daily "requirements" are default set. I adjusted mine to include a lot more protein and less carbs. It's set at 45% carbs, 20% protein and 35% fats to begin with. To lose weight, you just need to have a deficit. More protein = greater rate of muscle repair = more muscle in general. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism is, as muscle burns more calories than fat mass for mass. So, if you're going over your protein, it's nothing to worry about. If you want to manually adjust your goals, go to the food tab, hit setting, and under the tabs there should be a heading that says goals. Click it, and you can fix them up. :)
  • mkwick
    mkwick Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers and suggestions!
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    Keep protein to a max of 1g per lb of body weight. The excess is taxing on the body to convert into sugar / energy. You'd be much happier eating some healthy carbs, and be able to push harder in your workouts. Make sure you don't go under on fat as well, a good rule of thumb is .25g of fat per lb of body weight as an absolute minimum.

So the formula looks like this --> 1g of protein per lb of body weight, .25g of fat per lb of body weight, fill in the rest with carbs until you reach your calorie deficit (which shouldn't be less than 20% of maintenance when TDEE is factored in)

That's your optimal diet. "Low carb" myth will phase out in the mainstream soon enough, just as "low fat" did in the 80's and 90's.
  • djames92
    Options
    Keep protein to a max of 1g per lb of body weight. The excess is taxing on the body to convert into sugar / energy. You'd be much happier eating some healthy carbs, and be able to push harder in your workouts. Make sure you don't go under on fat as well, a good rule of thumb is .25g of fat per lb of body weight as an absolute minimum.

So the formula looks like this --> 1g of protein per lb of body weight, .25g of fat per lb of body weight, fill in the rest with carbs until you reach your calorie deficit (which shouldn't be less than 20% of maintenance when TDEE is factored in)

That's your optimal diet. "Low carb" myth will phase out in the mainstream soon enough, just as "low fat" did in the 80's and 90's.
    cant tell if troll
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I Keep protein to a max of 1g per lb of body weight. I think The excess is taxing on the body to convert into sugar / energy. I'm much happier eating some healthy carbs, and be able to push harder in myworkouts.I Make sure Idon't go under on fat as well, a good rule of thumb is .25g of fat per lb of body weight as an absolute minimum.

So my formula looks like this --> 1g of protein per lb of body weight, .25g of fat per lb of body weight,I fill in the rest with carbs until I reach my calorie deficit (which shouldn't be less than 20% of maintenance when TDEE is factored in)

That's MY optimal diet. "Low carb" myth will phase out in the mainstream soon enough, just as "low fat" did in the 80's and 90's.
    Fixed it for you.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    always go over protein!

That ^^^^ for gods sake that!

ALWAYS ALL THE PROTEINS!!!
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    I Keep protein to a max of 1g per lb of body weight. I think The excess is taxing on the body to convert into sugar / energy. I'm much happier eating some healthy carbs, and be able to push harder in myworkouts.I Make sure Idon't go under on fat as well, a good rule of thumb is .25g of fat per lb of body weight as an absolute minimum.

So my formula looks like this --> 1g of protein per lb of body weight, .25g of fat per lb of body weight,I fill in the rest with carbs until I reach my calorie deficit (which shouldn't be less than 20% of maintenance when TDEE is factored in)

That's MY optimal diet. "Low carb" myth will phase out in the mainstream soon enough, just as "low fat" did in the 80's and 90's.
    Fixed it for you.

OMG.. epic edit is so full of WIN... *bows to bean* I can't stop re-reading it!
  • CoachJake83
    Options

Fixed it for you.

Hilarious ;-P

I suppose 1g of Protein = 4 calories and 1g of Carbs = 4 calories somehow magically is incorrect, and that you need to consume way more protein than the body needs to tap the magic wand of fat loss. ;-)

A deficit is created by subtracting carbs, not by raising protein and lowering carbs to ridiculous levels. One of my clients has lost 80lbs in just over 6 months while maintaining almost all lean mass and never going below 45-50% carbs on his calorie intake.

But hey, what do I know ;-) Enjoy chewing all that chicken and whey protein to your heart's content. I'm sure your workout energy is through the roof!
    <3
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    Hilarious ;-P
    Don't mock her just because you got beaned.
    A deficit is created by subtracting carbs, not by raising protein and lowering carbs to ridiculous levels.

Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow *grabs head* ow ow ow ow ow ow
  • djames92
    Options

Fixed it for you.

Hilarious ;-P

I suppose 1g of Protein = 4 calories and 1g of Carbs = 4 calories somehow magically is incorrect, and that you need to consume way more protein than the body needs to tap the magic wand of fat loss. ;-)

A deficit is created by subtracting carbs, not by raising protein and lowering carbs to ridiculous levels. One of my clients has lost 80lbs in just over 6 months while maintaining almost all lean mass and never going below 45-50% carbs on his calorie intake.

But hey, what do I know ;-) Enjoy chewing all that chicken and whey protein to your heart's content. I'm sure your workout energy is through the roof!
    <3
    i know my workout energy has never been higher soo i dont see your point
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    Gotta eat 3g of protein per lb of body weight to lose fat bro! BROTEIN BRO! Don't eat those carbs! They'll magically jump over your muscle glycogen storage process and go straight to your hips! Trust the bro science bro! Muscles won't store NONE of those carbs for energy bro! 100% of it will get stored as fat bro!

Also bro...

Eggs will kill ya, you gotta eat 18 meals a day too bro. Drink a brotein shake before bed bro, no carbs past 6pm. Wake up every 2 hours while sleeping to preserve muscle mass bro!

(Alright that's my troll reply attempt haha, but seriously, everyone has different opinions. Forgive me for not wording as "Myself, and all my clients who I've trained to success...think that you only need..." haha)
  • djames92
    Options
    Gotta eat 3g of protein per lb of body weight to lose fat bro! BROTEIN BRO! Don't eat those carbs! They'll magically jump over your muscle glycogen storage process and go straight to your hips! Trust the bro science bro! Muscles won't store NONE of those carbs for energy bro! 100% of it will get stored as fat bro!

Also bro...

Eggs will kill ya, you gotta eat 18 meals a day too bro. Drink a brotein shake before bed bro, no carbs past 6pm. Wake up every 2 hours while sleeping to preserve muscle mass bro!

(Alright that's my troll reply attempt haha, but seriously, everyone has different opinions. Forgive me for not wording as "Myself, and all my clients who I've trained to success...think that you only need..." haha)
    no need to be a **** and think that just because i go for high protein that im some dumbass that says bro every 2 seconds dont act like you know me
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Fixed it for you.

Hilarious ;-P

<3

Look, I wasn't arguing with the substance of your suggestion, but the assertion that your OPTIMAL diet is the same for everyone- it isn't. It's a fairly sound suggestion, though in my opinion it's better to set your protein minimum at 1g/lb of LEAN body mass and fat minimum at 0.38 g/lb body weight...but whatever. That's just my opinion.

But, WHY did you have to bring 4cal/g for protein and 4cal/g for carbs up as a magically indisputable rule? :laugh: LOL. Look in to it- all carbs are not equal to exactly 4 cals/g and all protein is not equal to 4 cals/g. Those are generally accepted averages. Fiber, for example, is a carbohydrate with about 2cals/g of available energy. I just couldn't refrain from addressing this particular point.
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    Haha sorry if my post was overboard ;-)

Been in the fitness game for a while and I just hate to see people suffer unnecessarily stuffing face with crazy amounts of protein only to get less than optimal results and hating their diets / life.

Although some people's metabolisms do vary, it's not to the degree anywhere close in high protein diets you see today. Most young adults or middle age people are protein sensitive and get enough daily protein to more than enough maintain muscle mass or even increase it in a surplus with .8g to 1g of protein per lb of body weight.

If you "ever" exceed that the protein is converted into energy which is a very taxing process on the body. It's not coincidence that high protein diets make people irritable, tired, moody, lethargic and suck at their workouts. The body is plain out telling you that it doesn't need it and it shouldn't be forced upon.

Carbs are technically the only unnecessary or "flexible" macronutrient out of the 3. Protein cannot be replaced by carbs or fat, and fat cannot be replaced by protein or carbs.

Carbs however can be replaced by both, however it's very hard on the body to convert the other 2 into energy (less so for fat, but much more so for protein obviously)

Hence, once the body has enough protein for muscle, hair, skin, nail repair etc. And once it has enough fat to properly regulate hormones and cell production, it is therefore only logical to fill the remaining calories in your set calorie deficit goal with carbohydrates to optimize energy stores in the muscles.

While in a caloric deficit all carbs will be stored in the muscles, and in fact are very muscle sparing. (the body will be kept more anabolic, and a much less chance of breaking down aminos for energy)

Not to mention your life will be improved by elevated mood, increased workout performance, and your meals will taste GOOD!

Calculate a safe 20% deficit with harris benedict or mifflin (more accurate).

Fill in 1g of protein per lb of body weight, .25g of fat per lb, and the rest with carbs, and you will see optimal results. Of that I can be 100% certain.

But to your point, nutrition and fitness in general is a touchy subject in today's world. So many varying beliefs, it almost becomes religion for most people. Mainly due to the fact they MUST believe what they are doing is correct, because you must feel good about your plan to stay motivated.

It just kills me to see people suffering, and not getting as good of results when they don't have to. =\

That's all folks!
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    As to your statement about carbs and fiber, this is correct, however all nutrition labels already account for this. This is why you will see some calorie total not add up quite right to the multiplication of 1g of carbs = 4 calories, same for fats and proteins.

So if you eat some vegetables, you can rest assured the calories on the nutrition label are correct. People who "don't count veggies" are silly rabbits. ;-)
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    As to your statement about carbs and fiber, this is correct, however all nutrition labels already account for this. This is why you will see some calorie total not add up quite right to the multiplication of 1g of carbs = 4 calories, same for fats and proteins.

So if you eat some vegetables, you can rest assured the calories on the nutrition label are correct. People who "don't count veggies" are silly rabbits. ;-)

Huh?
    That may have been true before Atwater factors were acceptable for 'calculating' the total calories in a food per the FDA (reference e-CFR section 101.9 - Nutrition Labeling of Food) but now most companies back-calculate the total calories from the fat, carb, and protein grams, rather than using a bomb calorimeter to actually test the calorie content of food (though they can still use bomb calorimetry if they choose to) . You're right about fiber- there are exceptions in the Atwater method for fiber, so I poorly chose that as an example. But, as another example, spirulina protein gives ~3.9 kilocalories per gram of energy, but per Atwater method it is acceptably calculated as 4 kcal/g. My point is it's a rounded average, not EXACTLY 4 kcals/g. If you think about it logically, of course different chemical structures don't all provide exactly the same amount of energy when digested....they're pretty close though.

Oh, and then the total calories are rounded to 5 kcal increments before reporting, too.
  • Harder_Better_Faster_Stronger
    Options
    Anywhere from 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass is what I've gathered from the research. So if you weigh 120 lbs. with 20 lbs. of that being body fat, you would want a minimum of 100 grams per day to maintain the amount of muscle you currently have and up to 150 if youre trying to build extra muscle.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If I take my protein pills religiously will I get huge biceps like my hero Arnold?