Protein Powder suggestions??

Options
I'm wanting to try making smoothies and I'm looking for a good protein powder to use. Any suggestions??

Replies

• markaconklin
    markaconklin Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bsn Syntha 6
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bsn Syntha 6

What is the best flavor to mix with whole milk do you think? I've used ON of course and myofusion but not this syntha 6 stuff.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I like Carnivor Chocolate, but it has no fat and is a bit high in carbs for some people at 8g per serving. Protagen Cookies n' Cream is a pretty good mixed protein with a fairly awesome macro ratio. That being said, it tastes delicious, but smells like feet. Best used as a chug shake, in my opinion.
  • SNBaxley
    Options
    I usually go with Syntha-6 cookies and cream. It is delicious and very easy to drink.
  • lindsey_mickeyd
    lindsey_mickeyd Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I looked up the syntha 6 stuff and they have an orange smoothie flavor! I think that'd be great with the kind I wanna make! I'm thinking peaches, mango, pineapple, greek yogurt, spinach, and possible some broccoli thrown in there too. I'm using this link as my guideline: http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/3156
  • dieseldan9
    Options
    true nutrition TRUTEIN........
  • jennygray04
    Options
    I like "Click" protein shakes...but then again I'm a coffee addict and these give me my protein and my coffee fix.
  • therayeraye
    therayeraye Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% whey protein. It's almost always on sale at GNC and it's not too pricey anyway. It is the only one I have actually been able to consume and not find complaints about. High protein and it's one of the lower carb ones without weird sweeteners. It mixes really well with milk and doesn't have a chalky flavor.
    I highly recommend the French Vanilla Creme because it goes so well with so many different kinds of fruit
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    In my opinion the most natural brands are:

1. Vita Whey
    2. Jay Robb Whey Protein
    3. Designer Whey

Though if you want taste, BSN is the way to go.
  • klegendre20
    Options
    My all time favorite - Arbonne.

Arbonne uses vegan protein (cranberry, brown rice and pea). It's super absorbable and the most healthy form of protein for our bodies because it comes from the earth. It has 20 grams of this vegan protein in a serving (2 scoops), and only 160 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 0 grams of saturated fat, 15 grams of carbs plus 20 essential vitamins and minerals. You mix with water for a more healthy and allergen-free shake. (people who are lactose intolerant can use!). We also don't add any artificial sweeteners, colors, fragrances or flavors.

Whey protein is a by-product of the cheese making process. Basically, when companies make cheese, this "whey" is what they skim off the top. This is sold to companies who turn it into a powder and sell it as a protein mix. A lot of times they add coloring and flavoring in addition to a host of other things. Because it comes straight from cows, this cannot be used by people who have a milk allergy, and it also can contain things like cow blood, hormones that are injected into the animal, etc.

Soy protein contains lots of estrogen, and is used in Asia as a hormone replacement. In large quantities this can cause man boobs and hair loss. It can also mess with your cycle and ability to get pregnant when consumed in large quantities. In addition, both soy and whey protein makes your body work a lot harder to get the nutrients and to digest this, so you're not getting all the benefits from it, and in mass quantities can cause kidney and liver damage.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    syntha 6 vanilla ice cream is DELICIOUS. optimum nutrition vanilla flavors are good too. check amazon.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Costco has Cyto sport and a great price and its good!!!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I use Whey Iso Burst chocolate flavor. Super yummy with skim milk, yogurt, and either some strawberries and bananas, or a teaspoon of peanut butter.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    What are you looking for in a product? Do you have a certain range you are looking for in terms of calories, carbs, fat, protein, sugar specifically, etc.?

Are you just concerned with taste? Are you looking for whey protein, soy protein, a blend, a meal replacement powder?

There are about a billion products out there so it would help to narrow it down.

*I use Isopure because it's got like 0g fat and 0g carbs... it's just straight up whey protein and nothing more.
  • lindsey_mickeyd
    lindsey_mickeyd Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    @klegendre20 - Thanks for the info! That was very helpful! Definitely gonna be staying away from soy!! Don't wanna mess with my baby maker!! Lol! :)

@JossFit - I'm basically just looking for something that'll be good to add to a smoothie, so I guess something low calorie and something tasty. And not soy!!