The all falmous low carb diets- thoughts?

Options
hipsgalore
hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
So, my total for carbs according to MFP goals is 165 g.
Should I feel guilty about this? Is this too much carbs? are carbs bad for me?
I only worry because Atkins and other similar diets, do not like carbs and restrict to 19 g or something crazy like that, but I know they work.
I am a carb worry-holic now, and would like to know, is 165 g carb per day too much?
BTW: just in case you're wondering, I am NOT on Atkins or any other diet, I'm just paying atttention to my calories and eating sensibly, but was wondering about carb count.

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Hello

I dont think thats high...MFP has mine at 238....I dont go over it .....however carbs are good....there are good carbs and bad carbs

Try and stick to whole grain carbs....brown rice, whole grain bread etc

The Atkins diets work, when you are on it...however people usually put the weight on when they stop...so dont use that as your comparison

This is a lifestyle change....so stick to eating habits you can live with

Goodluck
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    you need some carbs. remember this is not a 'diet' it is a lifestyle change. could you really eat 19g carbs everyday for life? no. could you eat 165g carbs everyday for life? probably. In a 2,000 calorie diet 300g carbs is recommended so you're way below that. You should be fine as long as they're healthy whole grains, veggies and fruit carbs not white sugary carbs.
  • albanin
    albanin Posts: 4
    Options
    165g carbs isn't bad especially if you eat lots of fruits and veggies because those contain carbs. I'm on a gluten free diet, and I always eat all of my carbs in all different forms! Good luck!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hello

I dont think thats high...MFP has mine at 238....I dont go over it .....however carbs are good....there are good carbs and bad carbs

Try and stick to whole grain carbs....brown rice, whole grain bread etc

The Atkins diets work, when you are on it...however people usually put the weight on when they stop...so dont use that as your comparison

This is a lifestyle change....so stick to eating habits you can live with

Goodluck

Umm, Atkins or any of the other low carb plans are also lifestyle changes. They are not meant to go off.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    you need some carbs. remember this is not a 'diet' it is a lifestyle change. could you really eat 19g carbs everyday for life? no. could you eat 165g carbs everyday for life? probably. In a 2,000 calorie diet 300g carbs is recommended so you're way below that. You should be fine as long as they're healthy whole grains, veggies and fruit carbs not white sugary carbs.

Please do research before speaking..............

19 grams of carbs on Atkins is only for 2 weeks. You start adding in carbs after the 2 week induction phase..............

Atkins Nutritional Approach is also a lifestyle change and you incorporate all the stuff back into your eating.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I believe personally that 165 grams of carbs per day is way too many, but that is based on research I have done through my own reading. Here is the chart I adhere to..............

Picture2.png
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I recently started cutting my carbs to to 100g per day I am a 225 lb male. It has been working well for me so far I was on a 40/40/20 diet last time I did P90X and only lost 6 lbs the entire program, I have lost 9 in the first 30 days this time. You should try different things to figure out what works for you. The level of fat I am supposed to eat is staggering to me after switching from a low fat diet. I just try to stick to animal fats and Nuts for my fat intake.
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I will aim for between 50 and 100 g of carbs per day. That way, maybe I will be okay.
    Thanks for the info.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I recently started cutting my carbs to to 100g per day I am a 225 lb male. It has been working well for me so far I was on a 40/40/20 diet last time I did P90X and only lost 6 lbs the entire program, I have lost 9 in the first 30 days this time. You should try different things to figure out what works for you. The level of fat I am supposed to eat is staggering to me after switching from a low fat diet. I just try to stick to animal fats and Nuts for my fat intake.

That is the same way I eat.

Animal fats are yummy and so are nuts.
  • Lparault
    Lparault Posts: 100
    Options
    I have been taking a college course on nutrition. It is a biology course and really goes in depth into the way your body processes food chemically and what have you. Taking this course has scared the bejabbers out of me, especially regarding low-carb diets. Glucose is the basis of every chemical, cellular and metabolic activity in which the body partakes. When we get too little carbs, the body has to resort to breaking down proteins (mainly muscle tissue) to create a glucose alternative. Contrary to what Atkins says, when the body starts throwing ketones it is from protein breakdown, not fat burning.

Healthy carbs are whole grains, fruits, brown rice, and vegetables; unhealthy carbs are processed sugar, white potatoes, refined white flour. I do believe that too many carbs can increase your tendency to gain weight, but too few can be quite harmful as well.

If you want to cut back on your carb grams eliminate the unhealthy carbs and see what happens. If you aren't satisfied, then gradually reduce a few more grams until you feel better.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a college course on nutrition. It is a biology course and really goes in depth into the way your body processes food chemically and what have you. Taking this course has scared the bejabbers out of me, especially regarding low-carb diets. Glucose is the basis of every chemical, cellular and metabolic activity in which the body partakes. When we get too little carbs, the body has to resort to breaking down proteins (mainly muscle tissue) to create a glucose alternative. Contrary to what Atkins says, when the body starts throwing ketones it is from protein breakdown, not fat burning.

Healthy carbs are whole grains, fruits, brown rice, and vegetables; unhealthy carbs are processed sugar, white potatoes, refined white flour. I do believe that too many carbs can increase your tendency to gain weight, but too few can be quite harmful as well.

If you want to cut back on your carb grams eliminate the unhealthy carbs and see what happens. If you aren't satisfied, then gradually reduce a few more grams until you feel better.

this is much more sensible than the drastic all or nothing approaches out there-

and didn't cavemen die at the ripe old age of about 30? if they were lucky?
  • ScarletTarah
    ScarletTarah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't think the 169 is all that high that is what I am at as well and i like falling under and I rarely go over, but I can't stand the idea of denying myself a banana because it will send me over my carbs I think as long as you eat sensibly it all works out.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't think the 169 is all that high that is what I am at as well and i like falling under and I rarely go over, but I can't stand the idea of denying myself a banana because it will send me over my carbs I think as long as you eat sensibly it all works out.

You hit the nail on the head. I have lost pounds on Atkins, but because I do like some carbs and was not willing to follow it "for life" they all returned and brought a few of their friends.:angry: I do limit my carbs, but I LIKE bread, and sometimes pasta (both whole grain) and a little brown rice, and I know I can't follow a program that doesn't allow me to incorporate them into it. And, I also like bananas.

For those willing to adopt the low carb lifestyle by choice, or for health reasons ie- diabetes or other conditions, I wish them well. "lioness" is a good source of info on this lifestyle and I know it has helped her with many issues, and she is willing to stick to it for the long haul, so it works for her.

I know myself well enough to know that my brain equates "low carb" with "deprivation" and the reason I have done so well in the last year is that I am making permanent changes in eating habits that I can sustain for the rest of my life.

Good luck to all, regardless of whether they are low carb or not.:flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    Options

You hit the nail on the head. I have lost pounds on Atkins, but because I do like some carbs and was not willing to follow it "for life" they all returned and brought a few of their friends.:angry: I do limit my carbs, but I LIKE bread, and sometimes pasta (both whole grain) and a little brown rice, and I know I can't follow a program that doesn't allow me to incorporate them into it. And, I also like bananas.

For those willing to adopt the low carb lifestyle by choice, or for health reasons ie- diabetes or other conditions, I wish them well. "lioness" is a good source of info on this lifestyle and I know it has helped her with many issues, and she is willing to stick to it for the long haul, so it works for her.

I know myself well enough to know that my brain equates "low carb" with "deprivation" and the reason I have done so well in the last year is that I am making permanent changes in eating habits that I can sustain for the rest of my life.

Good luck to all, regardless of whether they are low carb or not.:flowerforyou:

You weren't doing Atkins if you were doing a plan that didn't allow you to incorporate bread or whole grain pasta.....as it is introduced back into the plan on Phase 2, going up the card ladder.

Thanks for the compliment.........
  • July24Lioness
    Options

That is incorrect. Ketones break down fat, not protein.
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i have read MANY MANY MANY times that AT FIRST you will loose more weight on a high protein carb restricted diet due to WATER WEIGHT LOSS but that in the long run it is no more successful than anything else out there. ( i believe its on web md and Mayo clinics website also... if you google it there are many articles on it, they recommend regular sensible dieting, and calories in calories out). On the actual atkins forums i read some people not losing weight even in the induction phase (less than 20 carbs per day). Just my thoughts on my research. Plus Atkins has become slightly more complicated, having to count net carbs and making sure that 12-15 carbs are from certain veggies etc. You can not have fruits or nuts in induction, you can only in phase 3 add them back in, and only certain ones.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    i have read MANY MANY MANY times that AT FIRST you will loose more weight on a high protein carb restricted diet due to WATER WEIGHT LOSS but that in the long run it is no more successful than anything else out there. ( i believe its on web md and Mayo clinics website also... if you google it there are many articles on it, they recommend regular sensible dieting, and calories in calories out). On the actual atkins forums i read some people not losing weight even in the induction phase (less than 20 carbs per day). Just my thoughts on my research. Plus Atkins has become slightly more complicated, having to count net carbs and making sure that 12-15 carbs are from certain veggies etc. You can not have fruits or nuts in induction, you can only in phase 3 add them back in, and only certain ones.

I did the Atkins plan with the 2002 book and did not lose water weight, unless I had 98 pounds of water weight to lose. I don't believe web md nor the mayo clinic because they have big pharma agendas.

I can point out a LOT of people that are on Atkins or any other low carb plan, have lost the weight and kept it off. I even know marathon runners that are on Atkins.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I think you should do everything in moderation & decide what would work for you. I know for me, I could never go on a carb restricted diet because I enjoy my my whole grains & lots of fruits and it's just not something I could stick with 100%. I think you need to make a personal decision to decide if you can cut back that much on carbs or if you are better off following set guidelines & working it off at the gym. Personally, for my workouts I need a good carb boost beforehand. Best of luck!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

I did the Atkins plan with the 2002 book and did not lose water weight, unless I had 98 pounds of water weight to lose. I don't believe web md nor the mayo clinic because they have big pharma agendas.

I can point out a LOT of people that are on Atkins or any other low carb plan, have lost the weight and kept it off. I even know marathon runners that are on Atkins.
    Were you able to keep that 98 lbs off since 2002?
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I went to a dietician for diabetes education and they recommended (for me) 140 to 160 grams of carbs a day. And that is considered low enough to control my diabetes but still healthy according to my dietician. But that was based on my body size, etc. :smile: