Hula hoop

Options
Does anyone hula hoop?

My boyfriend and I bought the Embark fitness hula hoop from Target this past weekend. So far it's fun, and has provided great comedic value, but we've noticed it kind of hurts after a while. We're wondering if it will stop hurting once we get used to it, and if it's a quality addition to our fitness efforts.

(We don't do it for our main cardio--it's like our extra activity in the evening, when we feel like being more active.)

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Is it your core muscles that hurt?
    If so will get better as you build up the muscles.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It's great exercise, and it's fun! I do 30 minutes about every other week. I've read that it has a similar calorie-burn as taking a brisk walk.

Your hips will probably be bruised for the first few times, but that stops happening.

Your core muscles *will* get sore, that's the point. You are using all the muscles in your midsection, plus some leg and glute muscle. Plus, keeping your arms up and out of the way makes your shoulders and upper back get into the action as well.

I like to hoop for for 5 minutes, then set it down and do some dumbbell work for 5 minutes. Alternating until I reach 30 or 40 minutes. Or, to make it more cardio, I'll hoop for 5 and jog in place for 5.

There are lots of videos on youtube to help you learn how to do the basic hooping, and to teach you some tricks. There are also some complet hoop workout vids on there.
  • GatorGirl0890
    GatorGirl0890 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, I should have clarified. It's not soreness of the muscles, it's more like bruising.

Thanks for the information!
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    yeah, I hula hoop. the impact from the hoop hurts for a few days then your body gets used to it. it will go away. take an advil and it helps to have a thick shirt on when it hurts. just bite through it or take a day to let your body heal.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop! Love it! Not sure about the hoop you got, is it a weighted hoop? I started with a weighted one and it definitely provides some good extra cardio and works your core. I moved on to a dance-style hula hoop pretty quickly though so I could learn fun tricks and dance moves with it and now that's my favorite thing, it's SO much fun, I just twirl around my back yard or the park with it and get a great workout and fantastic stress release!

Bruising is pretty common when you start and when you learn new tricks and usually goes away pretty quickly. Just take it at your own pace and don't over do it. Have fun!!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good friend who's only been hooping for a year ish: https://www.facebook.com/amystyle1

Addictive.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The bruising typically gets better. I do a little hooping (and pole dance, which also causes bruising). Typically, when you start doing something, or learn something new, you will bruise, then your body gets used to it and it is fine.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Got a weighted one for Christmas and starting to really like it!
  • mezasu
    mezasu Posts: 42
    Options
    You will get used to it! I didn't even know how to hula hoop until three years ago and once I learned I started doing it every day. I used to get bruises (or at least a bruise-y feeling) after doing it for just a few minutes but I worked my way up to doing it for half an hour or more a day. After the first week or so of doing it regularly the sore feeling went away and never came back!
  • purpleroxmysocks
    purpleroxmysocks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My friend made me a hula hoop for Christmas a few years back and I am just now starting to use it, probably since I am just now getting into fitness, anyway, I was a little upset to find that MFP didn't have it listed under the exercise section, but I think I added it. Anyway, happy hula hooping!
  • hulahooper17
    Options
    I started hula hooping in my childhood and got hooked when I realized it's a great way to get fit. I can go for an hour without realizing it, and it burns a good amount of calories. I love it because it's easy, I don't need any gear, and I do it while I watch TV. The bruising can happen if you overdo it at first, but your body will get used to it. After a while it starts to feel good on your muscles. I love using it on my hip flexors to help loosen them up. What's worse is when you start doing tricks, your hands get all this bruising under the surface. I've done this for years, I'd love to help anyone answer questions!