Any triathletes here?

Options
I decided to do my first sprint tri! I had foot surgery this spring and it will still be a few weeks before I can run. I'm starting to bike, although my foot can only take so much exercise right now. I was a competitive swimmer all of my life, so I've got that part down, but I need some tips from any of you who have done triathlons before!

It's a 400 yd swim, 13.5 mi bike, and 2.5 mi run. The first half of the bike and run are both uphill, then it's just a turnaround, downhill the second half. Any tips would be great!

Replies

• FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did my first triathlon in September of last year ( A sprint- 500 yd swim, 15 mile bike, and 5k run). It was a great, and fun experience and I'm doing a second one at the end of this month. My advice would be to find a good training program you like and try to stick to it, during training try to bike after swimming, and run after biking a few times). I would definitely make sure to get on your bike and practice on the real road rather than just stationary bikes at the gym- I always felt like the cycling was my weakest link of the three and the experience on the actual road helped. One thing I learned during the race was to wear something that is not heavy once it gets wet, I wore a tank top that got a lot heavier than I thought it would, and when I went to run my body felt really heavy.

Overall, just have fun and don't think too much into the transitions, just go with the flow and enjoy the moment. I definitely just got out there and did my thing without thinking twice or getting too nervous and it paid of really well- I got 2nd in my age group (missed first place by 4 seconds- bummer!) It was great fun.

Good Luck! You will love it!
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've been doing sprint & international distance races for a few years and love it. I was not well trained for my first race (a super sprint), but I did so well that I was hooked and started training regularly.

Just a few tips based on my experience and some excellent advice I was given before my first race:
    -do at least two bike-run brick workouts in the weeks leading up to the race. If you have a training program, it will likely include brick workouts. Switching from cycling to running is a really strange feeling and takes getting used to. Given the situation with your foot, it might be your plan to walk. That's fine. That was how I planned my first race. I still recommend the brick (even if you're walking intead of running) so you can get used to the sensation.
    -wear your swim goggles under your cap so they don't get kicked off during the swim.
    -you probably don't need any swimming tips, having been a competitive swimmer, but I will caution you about wave starts. There is a lot of kicking, bumping, grabbing, and hitting. It's like trying to swim in a mosh pit. Of course, if you're speedy enough to be in front, sighting buoys will be more of an issue for you.
    -again, since you're an experienced swimmer, you probably don't need this one, but I will say that I've seen a lot of folks get intimidated when they see the swim course. Swimming 400 or 800 meters in a pool is all well and good. Seeing it marked out in a lake or ocean in a straight line is another matter altogether for some.

What worked for me was to set modest goals for my first race. My goal was just to finish the race and have fun doing it. Having such a relatively modest goal made me much more relaxed and kept it fun.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
  • obrats
    obrats Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you the best for your Tri. I also have been doing tri's for a few years now. You have already got great advice here so I just want to say have fun. When your foot is better start doing some brick as previously mentioned.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I did 2 sprints and 2/3 of an Olympic. The swim was cancelled because the water was too rough. I am doing another sprint this weekend and an Olympic in August. A structured training plan works for me. I'm interested in everyone's tips too. The bike is my worst part. Good luck!