What's your gym routine?

Options
So tonight I joined a gym, after a few weeks of working at home with DVD's and Your Shape Fitness Evolved on the xbox.

I found myself unsure of what to do with myself after I finished a half hour on the bike (so I did another half hour. :laugh: )
According to my HRM I still burned 350cals, but I didn't feel like I did before when I finished a DVD. The weight machines are slightly foreign to me, and the weight area even more so.

Can anyone give a girl some direction?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My routine is different every day, due to the fact that I train lifting heavy.

However, in general, I walk in with an idea of the lifts I want to do, and proceed in a manner similar to what I did today (obviously the weight would need to be adjusted to whatever you are comfortable with):

Deadlifts: 275x5/315x3/405x2/495x1(PR)/405x2/315x9(death set because I felt like it)
    One arm deadlifts: 225x3/245x2
    Lat pulldowns: 110x6/125x5/150x4/160x4
    Shrugs: 315x6/405x4/455x4/495x3/495x3
    Bench Press: 135x5/225x3/195x5
    Upright rows: 135x5x3
    Bent over dumbbell rows: 75x5/80x5/80x4
    Cable rows: 120x6/135x5/150x5/165x4
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beanerific518
    Options
    If you can afford it I highly recommend getting some training sessions to learn the weights. This was the route I took because I too was lost at the gym. It was a great learning experience and I consider the money very well spent.

If you can't afford training, there are websites out there with lots of information...
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner_weight_training.htm
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/12-week-beginners-training-routine.html
    These websites have videos for each movement.

I personally do strength training 3-4 times per week plus 15-20 minutes high intensity cardio directly after. I do at least one day plain ol cardio (biking is my favorite). I do a split body part routine for my strength training as this allows all my body parts ample time to repair. Strength training is often overlooked by women which is a shame - it has sculpted my body in ways I could not have imagined.

Good luck!
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do Jamie Easons Live Fit lifting program at the gym, along with 45 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. :smile:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    If you've just joined, your gym probably has free introduction sessions with their trainers. I would go to the service desk and ask them about that. Every gym I've ever been to has offered something similar.

A trainer should help you familiarize yourself with the machines, and equipment.

You can also try out some classes to get yourself moving. I enjoy the group environment, maybe you will too.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I really like the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women". I've been unable to lift due to illness and surgery recently, but plan to start that over when I get back. I got it on Amazon. I like the way he writes and the logic behind the workouts.

Even if you don't follow it exactly, it gives some routines to do that are a good mix of muscle groups and discusses proper form and so on.

I looooove lifting (cardio, not so much) and can't wait to get back.

Good luck.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later reading. I am still reading New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Right now I am doing strong lifts and cardio but I just ordered the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. So we will see what that has to say :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Start with a very basic program. Full body, 1 exercise per body part, 10-12 reps and learn correct form. You should be able to get an hour orientation on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Honestly right now I'm trying to drop body fat. I've got a lot, especially in my midsection. I don't really feel as strength training would benefit me as effective as cardio in the form of running would. That being said I run outside 4-5x a week for about 30-40 minutes. Later when I come home I do some various dumbbell exercises and body weight exercises such as push ups, crunches, planks, scizzors, and jumpy jacks ;)
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

See about picking up this book and it should help you figure out a routine.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I usually do half an hour or more of cardio, then do at least two strenghth machines...sometimes four, and I am adding a couple of more to my routine...depends on the amount of time I have and also how crowded the gym is...
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Here is mine:

Put stuff in locker.
    Go to aerobics room and warm up for 5 minutes (jumping jacks, arm circles, quick lunges, etc...)
    Stretch for another 3 minutes.
    Do weight lifting workout. Usually lasts about 30-45 minutes depending on what I am doing that day.
    Do C25K run.
    Stretch for 10 minutes.
    Get stuff from locker and go home.
    Recovery drink when I get home, and sit on couch and smile to myself for a job well done.

I am usually there no more than 2 hours.
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Loving the responses here. Bumping for later reading :-)
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 (weight lifting 3x a week)

Cardio 1-2 times a week (walk/run or ellipitcal.. and try incorporate some HIIT)!
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about New Rules of Lifting and Strong Lifts 5x5.

I make my own routine, and it varies each week. I tend to be on a rotating 5 day split and break them down into:

Quads, Calves
    Chest, Triceps
    Shoulders
    Hamstrings, Glutes, Calves
    Back, Biceps

With 1-2 rest days each week, depending on when I need them. I throw in abs a couple times a week in between sets.

I also do cardio 4-5x a week, currently on "light" cardio for the beginning of onseason.

Free weights can be scary at first, but if you can, ask a trainer to show you the equipment, and just get comfortable with it. Even if you go over there and do some dumbbell curls just to get used to handling them. Baby steps are still steps!! :)

Weightlossprogresscopy-1-1.jpg
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    right now my wife and I are both on the same routine:
    monday:legs
    Tuesday: chest/triceps, added in deads and bicep work
    Wed:cardio and core
    thurs: Shoulders/2nd squat day
    Friday: back/biceps, added in bench press

We try to hit the big compounds four out of five days and try to do each one of the big three twice per week as well. We also do at least one core exercise per day. Cardio at the end of each day if we have time.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    To the OP, first, you need to figure out what your fitness goals are... Is it to improve your cardiovascular endurance, increase muscle, gain strength, improve flexibility, gain a general overall improvement of your fitness? If you don't know where you're going its hard to get there. Once you establish where you want to go, then you can get the right map to get you there. I would HIGHLY recommend talking to one of the trainers at our gym to help you become familiar with the weights. Most gyms offer a free first time consult but even if they don't they should be able to show you how to use something without a cost to you. A well-rounded general improvement of fitness will incorporate cardio, weights and flexibility(this is usually overlooked).
    See attached from mayoclinic. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fitness-training/HQ01305
    Or this is a GREAT overview: http://k2.kirtland.cc.mi.us/~balbachl/overall.htm
    Good luck